This is topic Famous Druid's book is away! in forum The Joy of Tech at The Geek Culture Forums.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=000620

Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on January 02, 2004, 12:22:
 
OK, it is off!

The Famous Druid's book is off to the land of downunder... how long will it take????

 -

It left Friday January 2nd 2004, shipping via Canada Post air mail, heading to Australia.

My guess... 7 business days... so Tuesday the 13th of January 2004.
 
Posted by Allan (Member # 1717) on January 02, 2004, 12:25:
 
I'm guessing Monday 12th January! [Smile]
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on January 02, 2004, 12:32:
 
January 21st (TFD Local time) It is tomorrow there already!!

* edited after the rules were posted [Big Grin]
 
Posted by SpikeSpiegel (Member # 1452) on January 02, 2004, 13:45:
 
January 15th
 
Posted by GMx (Member # 1523) on January 02, 2004, 13:50:
 
January 20th. I was thinking maybe 4 weeks, but I'm going to split the difference to give them the benefit of the doubt. [Smile] All Postal Services are illogical.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 02, 2004, 16:01:
 
My but you're a bunch of optimists!
Not a single bid in February yet.
I'll inject a bit of sanity in the process by picking Feb 2, and I think I'm being wildly optimistic.

Ok - rules:

1. The closest guess wins.
2. In the event of a tie, the first bid lodged wins, unless I feel like awarding 2 _really_ worthless prizes.
3. The prize will be 'almost worthless', and will be chosen to suit the recipient, based on what I know of them from GC. Don't expect anything good.
4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Let the bids begin !

p.s. 26 Jan is Australia Day, no mail deliveries.
 
Posted by MacManKrisK (Member # 955) on January 02, 2004, 16:39:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
p.s. 26 Jan is Australia Day, no mail deliveries.

No way! My birthday is a national holiday in Australia?! Cool!!

I'm going to stab at Feb. 10
 
Posted by Tut-an-Geek (Member # 1234) on January 02, 2004, 16:51:
 
January 25th :-D
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on January 02, 2004, 17:01:
 
I'm a sucker for worthless prizes, so I'll go for Feb. 3.
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on January 02, 2004, 17:05:
 
Eh, what the hell, I'm feeling sappy ATM, I'll say 14 Feb 04.
 
Posted by SpikeSpiegel (Member # 1452) on January 02, 2004, 17:44:
 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

I'm going to stab at Feb. 10

i was thinking of choosing that since its my birfday
 
Posted by Tut-an-Geek (Member # 1234) on January 02, 2004, 17:48:
 
quote:
Originally posted by SpikeSpiegel:
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:

I'm going to stab at Feb. 10

i was thinking of choosing that since its my birfday
That's why I chose january 25th [Smile]
 
Posted by Alan! (Member # 1261) on January 02, 2004, 20:32:
 
This is interesting. I had a parcel flown by the same method (air mail) from canada, to perth, australia, and it left canada on about 21st december. i'm expecting it in february sometime.

so when it *does* arrive in february, i suppose you could just add 11 or 12 days to it, and you'd have the answer... unless of course it arrives in march.

Alan
 
Posted by Orpheus (Member # 2397) on January 02, 2004, 21:19:
 
The tea leaves (and voices) tell me it will arive January 30th *waves fingers all mistically*
WOOOooooooohhhhhhhh......ooh...
*fades into the next post*
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 03, 2004, 05:47:
 
How about 2004-01-22? (ie 22nd February 2004 for those who don't converse via easily sortable dates).

Can I borrow your JOT book when it arrives, TFD? [evil] [Big Grin]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 03, 2004, 06:39:
 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
How about 2004-01-22? (ie 22nd February 2004 for those who don't converse via easily sortable dates).

Can I borrow your JOT book when it arrives, TFD? [evil] [Big Grin]

no probs, I'll post it to you.

btw - I read that date as 22 Jan, not Feb.
Trying to have 2 votes?
Naughty, naughty.
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 03, 2004, 16:21:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
tw - I read that date as 22 Jan, not Feb.
Trying to have 2 votes?
Naughty, naughty.

Curses! Foiled again!

Make it the 22nd Feb then [Big Grin]
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 03, 2004, 21:58:
 
I will [NOT] take January 15th, 2004. And Tut-an-Geek, that's cool you share the same birthdate as my older son (January 25). He was due January 15, so I guess it's possible SOMETHING ought to arrive that day.

Jess

EDIT: Apparently I won't be taking that day... let's see.

January

12 -- A11an
13 -- Snaggy
15 -- SpikeSpiegel (rats! I wanted that day!)
20 -- GMx
21 -- Cap'n Vic
22 -- csk* (unless his calendar starts in February, at which point, Happy New Year 2004 in a few weeks, csk!)
25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)
30 -- the clairvoyant Orpheus

February

2 -- The Famous Druid, himself
3 -- Xanthine
10 -- MacManKrisK (Happy Birthday on January 26, by the way)
14 -- The besmitten DragonMan, himself (see Feb. 3)
22 -- csk* (if, in fact, his 2004 calendar begins on Feb. 1)

and Alan!, who merely made vague mentions of March, though no clear designations as to a date.

Hmmm....
So January 15 is out of the question... So, simply because it's so improbable that it might actually happen:

Friday, January 9, 2004.

Jess
 
Posted by Tut-an-Geek (Member # 1234) on January 03, 2004, 22:06:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
I will take January 15th, 2004. And Tut-an-Geek, that's cool you share the same birthdate as my older son (January 25). He was due January 15, so I guess it's possible SOMETHING ought to arrive that day.

Jess

[Smile]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 03, 2004, 22:31:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Jan 25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Well spotted Jess.
There's no Saturday or Sunday deliveries in oz.
Also Jan 26 is a public holiday here.
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 03, 2004, 22:40:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
Jan 25 (Sunday Post delivery?) -- Tut-an-Geek (HAPPY BIRTHDAY!)

Well spotted Jess.
There's no Saturday or Sunday deliveries in oz.
Also Jan 26 is a public holiday here.

No Saturday delivery?!? You're telling me the Aussie Post maintains Bankers' Hours?

Wow... it makes me realize how lucky I am to have just one day a week when I feel stupid checking the mailbox instead of two.... [Wink]

Jess
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 03, 2004, 23:28:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
No Saturday delivery?!? You're telling me the Aussie Post maintains Bankers' Hours?

Wow... it makes me realize how lucky I am to have just one day a week when I feel stupid checking the mailbox instead of two.... [Wink]

Jess

It gets worse, at my previous address, the postman had unofficially given himself Wednesdays off. In the 6 years we lived there, we never received any mail on Wednesday, and got a double helping on Thursday.

At least we now get 5 deliveries a week.
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 04, 2004, 15:54:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
No Saturday delivery?!? You're telling me the Aussie Post maintains Bankers' Hours?

Wow... it makes me realize how lucky I am to have just one day a week when I feel stupid checking the mailbox instead of two.... [Wink]

Jess

It gets worse, at my previous address, the postman had unofficially given himself Wednesdays off. In the 6 years we lived there, we never received any mail on Wednesday, and got a double helping on Thursday.

At least we now get 5 deliveries a week.

The 5 deliveries a week doesn't always apply, either. I was staying in a little country town called Walcha, which only gets mail deliveries on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays.

The other thing that's a pain in the butt is when you get a parcel that they hold for you at the post office. If you're unlucky, the post office is open only Monday - Friday in business hours. If you're lucky, they're open til about midday on Saturday as well. I've got a parcel to collect which has been at my local post office since before Christmas since I haven't been able to get there to pick it up.

Back on topic, I notice in the rules that "this can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives". If you've been paying attention, that might narrow down the choice of dates involved.
 
Posted by GMx (Member # 1523) on January 04, 2004, 16:57:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It gets worse, at my previous address, the postman had unofficially given himself Wednesdays off. In the 6 years we lived there, we never received any mail on Wednesday, and got a double helping on Thursday.

At least we now get 5 deliveries a week.

Maybe it was his golfing day with the doctors. [Big Grin]
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 04, 2004, 17:34:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Ok - rules:

4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Well that sucks duck-butt!

Gee, all you have to do is hang out until Feb. 2 and you win!

Can't you make it when the note arrives or the first business day you conceivably could pick it up? That would be more fair, really.

Jess
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 04, 2004, 18:45:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Ok - rules:

4. All bids are in Melbourne time, and are for the date the package is actually in my hands. This can be several days after the little note from the post office arrives.

Well that sucks duck-butt!

Gee, all you have to do is hang out until Feb. 2 and you win!

Can't you make it when the note arrives or the first business day you conceivably could pick it up? That would be more fair, really.

Jess

Why would I several days without my JOT book just to collect a worthless prize from myself???????

As far as I can tell, Australia post stopped actually delivering packages some years ago (they deny this).
For the past several years, all we get is a little "We tried to deliver this, but you were out, so now come pick it up from us" note, even if there was someone home all day. Lazy fscking posties!

Also, with international parcels, sometimes you have to go to the post-office and sign a customs form, depending on the whim of the post-office staff.

Anyway, if the note arrives on, say, Friday 23/1, it'll be after post office closing time by the time I see it, no post-office over the weekend, and Monday 26/1 is a holiday, so the earliest I can collect it will be Tuesday 27/1, 4 days after the note arrives.

So, just to keep you happy, if I get another note, the winning date will be the first post-office business day after the note arrives.
 
Posted by Alan! (Member # 1261) on January 04, 2004, 18:49:
 
woohoo!

okay, having received my parcel (a rare sennheiser mic) today, january 5, from canada to australia, i can now make a more accurate hypothesis as to the date of arrival of druid's book.

only problem is, i don't know when i ordered it.
(flurry of browser windows to check online receipts etc)

okay, ordered 19/12, possible posted on the 20/12 from canada. given no service on most of those days, it took about 12 business days. (i didn't count public holidays or weekends, but i did count new years eve). thats very quick!

So, with GmX, I choose Tuesday 20th January, at roughly 10:37 for the note, pickup by evening.

dada!
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 04, 2004, 19:14:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Alan!:
woohoo!

okay, having received my parcel (a rare sennheiser mic) today, january 5, from canada to australia, i can now make a more accurate hypothesis as to the date of arrival of druid's book.

Does that mean that you're in Australia at present? Which city(ies), or just passing through?
 
Posted by spungo (Member # 1089) on January 05, 2004, 03:04:
 
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

Love that Aibo one... [Smile]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 07, 2004, 02:57:
 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

Love that Aibo one... [Smile]

/me struggles to suppress the mental image of Spungo with a little robotic doggie. *shudder*
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 07, 2004, 04:25:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

Love that Aibo one... [Smile]

/me struggles to suppress the mental image of Spungo with a little robotic doggie. *shudder*
I'm envisioning what Spungo could possibly write on the warranty form if Fido suffered a little .. er .. "mishap".
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on January 07, 2004, 05:10:
 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
Woo Hoo! Got mine today. Ordered it from Amazon.co.uk months ago... worth the wait, though.

Love that Aibo one... [Smile]

Boy, you best be staying away from my Inuko...[/very poor language/grammar/spelling :-P]
 
Posted by TMBWITW,PB (Member # 1734) on January 07, 2004, 11:03:
 
Yay! I got mine yesterday and spent the rest of the evening laughing. You even included some AY2K! Thanks a bunch! [Big Grin]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 07, 2004, 14:59:
 
And the winner is
<drum-roll>
............
</drum-roll>

Just_Jess_B, who guessed 9 Jan.

Yes folks, it arrived today (8 Jan oz time) a mere 6 days since it was posted (5 allowing for the time difference). Given the time of year, that is a truly amazing result.

/me humbly apologises to aussie post for all the unkind things I said. They're all true, usually, but I apologise anyway.

I'll be contacting Jess soon to arrange delivery of her worthless prize.

btw - the book is awesome !
(what I've seen of it, my workmates snatched it away the moment I got in)
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 07, 2004, 15:02:
 
It Arrived !
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on January 07, 2004, 15:11:
 
w h o a ! awesome!!! :-)

I knew they could do it! [Smile]
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 07, 2004, 15:52:
 
Maybe I'll have to put in an order, and see if they can repeat the performance. [Big Grin]

Edit: Order just made, as of now...

Just for a challenge(and cause I'm a cheap, yet patient bastard), I chose surface mail (presumably TFD chose airmail).

Any guesses as to how long?

Surface mail is meant to take up to 20 days, btw...
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on January 07, 2004, 21:24:
 
thanks csk!

but... ... 20 days is surface to the USA.

Canada Post Surface International is as follows...
There are no published delivery standards for Surface Parcel service; however there is a service expectation of 4-6 weeks to most international destinations.

We've been told it can take up to two months! [Eek!]

Don't worry... we'll airmail it. [Smile]
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 08, 2004, 19:01:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
And the winner is
<drum-roll>
............
</drum-roll>

Just_Jess_B, who guessed 9 Jan.


I have to say, truly, I think this is the first thing I've actually won outside of spelling "siege" correctly in a schoolwide spelling bee -- thereby winning for the team I was on. And the assorted board and card games -- but never poker. I never play poker because I never win.

Wow... this is... wow.

And just this morning, I helped an elderly lady up a curb and bought my niece a great birthday present and parked a little too long in a 2-hour parking place without getting a ticket. So it's a great day. [Smile]

I'm not sure I ought to burden TFD with the cost of sending said worthless prize to the United States... we may be coalition members, but it still doesn't mean Homeland Security won't try to open it... [Wink]

However, my curiosity is piqued...

Jess
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 08, 2004, 19:17:
 
Maybe he'll send you a recording of himself saying hello, if I remember my past threads correctly [Wink]
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 08, 2004, 19:23:
 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Maybe he'll send you a recording of himself saying hello, if I remember my past threads correctly [Wink]

Oh yeah!

And all that would cost is e-mailing the sound file to me... [Big Grin] ...

Jess

We still need to have the "Sexiest Accent" Challenge... I still think Aussie beats Welsh any day...
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on January 08, 2004, 21:02:
 
I like Scottish myself. And Aussie.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 08, 2004, 21:27:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
Maybe he'll send you a recording of himself saying hello, if I remember my past threads correctly [Wink]

Oh yeah!

And all that would cost is e-mailing the sound file to me... [Big Grin] ...

Jess

We still need to have the "Sexiest Accent" Challenge... I still think Aussie beats Welsh any day...

Suits me, just specify the preferred percentage of heavy-breathing, and provide a signed statement from Winter Solstice that he won't come after my blood. [Wink]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 08, 2004, 21:31:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I like Scottish myself. And Aussie.

<glaswegian>
Och away wi' ye' hen, ye'll make me blush. [blush]
</glaswegian>
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on January 08, 2004, 21:52:
 
Do I get a medal?
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 08, 2004, 22:10:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Do I get a medal?

Nah, that's for making Zorro blush [Big Grin]
TFD is a challenge, but not that much of a challenge.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 17, 2004, 20:47:
 
Ok, it took me a while to find the microphone in my 'filing system', and a while longer to get a few moments when there weren't any little girls running around squealing in the background, but for those of you who are interested, Jess' worthless prize can be found here
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on January 17, 2004, 22:18:
 
Hmm, yeah, that was a bit of a nicer accent than my Aussie postal guy at work [Razz] . Not saying Rob isn't a nice bloke or anything, I just can't understand a word he says [Wink] . Okay, he's not that bad - and he's actually a pretty funny fellow. He'd be even better if he'd actually deliver mail to us [Big Grin] . Then again, he lets us take his van so we can bring our packages back to our office, so it's not a complete loss (except that it's a Ford van :-/. [bloody accelerator and steering have no *feel* to them, whatsoever]).
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 17, 2004, 22:39:
 
Man, I was going to post it! You beat me to it!

[Big Grin]

Anyway, thank you very, very much for my special worthless prize; I found it quite charming and thoughtful. It was just of the type of thing I love to receive -- effort over expense.

Happy JoT-ing!

Jess

[tease TFD]

P.S.: Regarding what else you wrote, I'm simply wrought with imagination... [blush]

[/tease TFD]
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on January 17, 2004, 22:48:
 
Nice!
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 17, 2004, 22:54:
 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Hmm, yeah, that was a bit of a nicer accent than my Aussie postal guy at work [Razz] .

Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home. The accent gets stronger, the 'colourful' language becomes far more colourful, and we drink far, far more than we do at home. It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

The scots do the same, my aunts and uncles back home comment on how strong my dads accent has got since he moved away.
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 17, 2004, 23:01:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home.

Like Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter? His accent's so outrageous, it sounds like someone doing a fake Aussie accent. [Big Grin]
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 17, 2004, 23:19:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home.

Like Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter? His accent's so outrageous, it sounds like someone doing a fake Aussie accent. [Big Grin]
It sounds that way to me too !
 
Posted by GMx (Member # 1523) on January 18, 2004, 00:39:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

And they're all named Bruce. [Big Grin] "Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"
 
Posted by hey-U (Member # 2128) on January 18, 2004, 05:29:
 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
It's quite funny visiting the various 'aussie ghettos' in England, the people there are like central casting caricatures of aussies, you rarely see that kind of behaviour back home.

And they're all named Bruce. [Big Grin] "Mind if we call you Bruce just to keep it clear?"
*And* they all live at Earl's Court. B*st*rds. Keep the District Line Oz-free, I sez...
[evil] [Big Grin]
 
Posted by cheezi git (Member # 1598) on January 18, 2004, 06:15:
 
i love it when aussies say that they know about a great pub, and you just know they're going to say it's called "walkabout".

(walkabout is a chain of pubs in the uk that are aimed at aussie, kiwi and boks)
 
Posted by hey-U (Member # 2128) on January 18, 2004, 07:56:
 
Tie me kangaroo down
Sport
Tie me kangaroo down...


Can y'tell what it is yet?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on January 18, 2004, 08:49:
 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
Tie me kangaroo down
Sport
Tie me kangaroo down...

In the 70's and 80's there was a soda named "Wallaby Squash" (it was a fizzy lemonade), and their jingle used that song.

Which is now stuck in my head...

"Drink me Wallaby Squash, sport, drink me Wallaby Squash..."

Jess
 
Posted by GMx (Member # 1523) on January 18, 2004, 09:11:
 
AARRGGHH! Rolf Harris! Now I'll be thinking of that song all day! You should be spanked with Rolf's masonite board! (that's what he used to make that funny sound) [Big Grin]
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 18, 2004, 16:45:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Something you should understand about aussies, we tend to be far more 'aussie' away from home.

Like Steve Irwin, the Crocodile Hunter? His accent's so outrageous, it sounds like someone doing a fake Aussie accent. [Big Grin]
It sounds that way to me too !
Yep, agree with that too.
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 18, 2004, 16:48:
 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
AARRGGHH! Rolf Harris! Now I'll be thinking of that song all day! You should be spanked with Rolf's masonite board! (that's what he used to make that funny sound) [Big Grin]

Ahh, that would be his "wobble board". You haven't lived until you've heard his version of Stairway to Heaven, complete with wobble board effects.

I still think the Goodies episode where they captured Rolf Harris(es?) and put him in a zoo was one of their best.

Oh, and finally... "Trust British paints ... sure can!"
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 18, 2004, 17:12:
 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
AARRGGHH! Rolf Harris! Now I'll be thinking of that song all day! You should be spanked with Rolf's masonite board! (that's what he used to make that funny sound) [Big Grin]

Ahh, that would be his "wobble board". You haven't lived until you've heard his version of Stairway to Heaven, complete with wobble board effects.

Yes, a true gem of modern culture.

Cultural note for our furrin readers:
In the early 90s there was an excellent show on aussie TV called 'The Money Or The Gun' which had a running joke where they got various artists to come on and do 'Stairway to Heaven' in their own style.
So, we had disco STH, jazz STH, Rolf Harris STH, and my personal favourite, pirate-sea-shanty STH

"There's a lady who's sure
all that glitters is gold
and she's buying a stairway to heaven
toora-loora-loora-li
loora-loora-loora-li
oooooohhhhhh it wakes us wonderrrrrrrrr"

There's a CD, but sadly the pirate-sea-shanty version is not on it. [Frown]
 
Posted by GMx (Member # 1523) on January 18, 2004, 17:16:
 
There was a group that put the words of the Gilligan's Island theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven. I only heard about it, I wish I could find a recording of it.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on January 18, 2004, 18:37:
 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
There was a group that put the words of the Gilligan's Island theme to the tune of Stairway to Heaven. I only heard about it, I wish I could find a recording of it.

The Australian National Anthem ('Advance Australia Fair') works quite well when set to the tune of 'Gilligans Island'.
 
Posted by knightwhosaysNI (Member # 2079) on January 19, 2004, 08:42:
 
Stairway to Heaven?!?!

My parents were listening to that the night I was concieved!!!! Please no more! ARRRGGGAHHHHHH!!
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on January 19, 2004, 10:08:
 
quote:
Originally posted by knightwhosaysNI:
Stairway to Heaven?!?!

My parents were listening to that the night I was concieved!!!! Please no more! ARRRGGGAHHHHHH!!

How do you know? Were you listening??
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on January 20, 2004, 23:39:
 
Sorry to necropost, but thought N+S might like to know this.

I was in a Collins bookstore today at lunchtime, and not only was the JOT book in the bookstore, it was on display on top of the shelves, rather than just being on the shelves themselves. Well done, hope you get lots of people buying them!
 


© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0