This is topic iPhone Buyers? in forum Hardware, Robots, AI, Geek Toys! at The Geek Culture Forums!.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=18;t=000277

Posted by stringlion (Member # 4767) on June 29, 2007, 14:04:
 
I'm just wondering how many people are going to, (or hoping to, however it turns out) buy an iPhone when they launch today t 6:00.
I would but I don't have any money.

BTW, did anyone watch the daily show last night?
 
Posted by TMBWITW,PB (Member # 1734) on June 29, 2007, 14:45:
 
I'm strictly a pre-paid cell phone user, so it's unlikely I'll ever own an iPhone. But I would love to play with one if someone else buys it!
 
Posted by Steen (Member # 170) on June 29, 2007, 20:24:
 
I didn't buy one, but these guys did... and then they promptly dismantled it and took photos.
 
Posted by zesovietrussian (Member # 1177) on June 29, 2007, 21:35:
 
 -

Look at all them poor suckers - shelling out $60/mo for a plan that's about as craptacular as a cell phone plan can possibly get [Smile]
 
Posted by Bibo (Member # 1959) on June 29, 2007, 23:53:
 
I decided to go with a T-Mobile Sidekick 3 earlier this year and wait for an updated iPod ( I want 100 gigs or larger).

I paid $199 for the phone, and $29.99 per month for the unlimited data only plan (I just don't make many calls).

It uses the EDGE network like the iPhone (no WiFi options though).
It has a FULL QWERTY keyboard, supports IMAP and POP mail, has a decent web browser, plays MP3s (with album art), has Bluetooth, text messaging, IM via AIM, MSN & Yahoo, 1.3 mega-pixel camera, Calendar, Notes, To Do list, Address Book. A large download catalog of Games, ringtones & applications (even a Terminal Client!). Removable battery. And you can even manage the phone via the web. Plus it has a Mini SD slot for MP3s and Photos and the phone connects via USB.

And no, it's not as cool as the iPhone, but at this point the Sidekick 3 has more of features that I want and use (and many I don't use).

And I don't want to pay $2,038 to use a phone for 2 years, even the $918 I'll be paying for mine for 2 years is pricey to me. I was using a pre-paid before for about $80 a year.
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on June 30, 2007, 01:09:
 
Unless someone decides they really think I'm fantastic, and have money to burn, I don't expect I'm going to get one. However, I did get to play with one in the AT&T store tonight by happy accident. The UI really is as cool as all the screencasts. Coverflow for pictures is pretty spiffy, the keyboard isn't /too/ bad (though I didn't use it much), and the multitouch zoom stuff is damn cool. It really feels like the way UI /should/ be for such things. However, the menu flow is kind of dumb, with the very Palm style single-app, single 'go home' key (even Palm had hotkeys!). I'm kind of spoiled by having played with the iPod hierarchical menus, though I don't own such a clever device. To /me/, being able to go back and whatnot is a good idea, but this interface isn't terrible. I'm really surprised they didn't implement a virtual click wheel, though...and maybe a universal iPod button that you can tap to call up said wheel/UI. This way, if you're messing around with some other app, you can change tracks or adjust the volume, without leaving that app, and going to the iPod app.

Of course, it might just be simpler to restate what I told my friend, having called him [with my Verizon, monochrome LG clamshell] a few minutes after leaving the store: "Shiny!"
 
Posted by WinterSolstice (Member # 934) on June 30, 2007, 13:45:
 
I'm in the market for a new phone, but not likely to buy an iPhone.

I'm looking at
1)Nokia E-70
2)Helio Ocean
3)Sidekick

Basically for me there are 3 key features:
1) Full QWERTY keyboard. I've had it with the whole 2/3 letters per key predictive thing.
2) Decent frikin reception. My blackberry and my SLVR make everyone sound like some lo-fi band's fresh track.
3) Calendar. I need to keep track of stuff. Like seriously need to. I can't remember ANYTHING if I'm focused on a project. It all becomes background noise - as I'm sure some people I owe stuff to on GC can attest. I don't mean to be a flake, but if I'm on a project I'm GONE.
4) GPS is a nice to have - I get lost in my own bathroom. I can't find my way out of a paper bag.

So the iPhone is out on #1, and the cost is a bit excessive. Besides... I do so much note-taking and typing and messaging that I'd say typing is probably 99% of what I do.
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on June 30, 2007, 14:13:
 
For me, the iPhone has a pretty screen that I would scratch up. I would get complained at by the people who think if a computer peripheral is not pristine, I'm a puppy-kicker or something.

Not anal retentive enough to own something not ruggedized. People seeing my 12" powerbook would weep (no stickers, but it's beat up somewhat).
 
Posted by Bibo (Member # 1959) on June 30, 2007, 14:20:
 
WinterSolstice, one nice thing about the Sidekick is being able to add notes, contacts, calendar events, etc... from the T-Mobile website. My wife can update any of this info without even touching the phone. I do the grocery shopping and many times while I'm in the store new items start popping up on my list that she wants me to pick up.

The downfall though is that all of this info is stored on their server and not on your computer or Sidekick. Unfortunately markspace discontinued The Missing Sync for the Sidekick (Hiptop). You can still download it and it does work for 14 days so I was able to get all my contacts over to the Sidekick.
 
Posted by WinterSolstice (Member # 934) on June 30, 2007, 14:50:
 
Actually, the central storage is one of the perks for me, provided that I can still access it (cached) when I'm in a non-coverage area.
 
Posted by Bibo (Member # 1959) on June 30, 2007, 15:01:
 
quote:
Originally posted by WinterSolstice:
Actually, the central storage is one of the perks for me, provided that I can still access it (cached) when I'm in a non-coverage area.

You can add and delete info on the phone and once you do get back into a coverage area it will update the info on the server end.

Or add and delete info from the web interface and once the phone is back in a coverage area it will update the info on the phone. At one of the grocery stores I go to, I can't get a cell signal inside, so if my shopping list gets updated or I get an IM, I don't get the info until I'm in the parking lot.
 
Posted by zesovietrussian (Member # 1177) on June 30, 2007, 16:15:
 
WinterSolstice,

What about Palm's Treos? New ones are a bit on the expensive side, but you can find used 700p models in brand new condition for well under $200, and service is dirt-cheap if you go with Sprint - you can get 1250 minutes, free data, free tethering (unofficial, but it works - *cough* USBModem *cough*), 7pm N&W and unlimited SMS for $50/mo, or 500 minutes for $30/mo. That sure as hell beats having to pay $60 for a stripped-down plan and tortoise-like EDGE data network with CrapT&T.

PS: Got to play with an iPhone today and wasn't too impressed. It's a cool shiny toy, but the interface was painfully slow, the keyboard was quite a PITA to use, and everything crashed like it was running under poorly set up Windows ME. The web browser was quite nice, but newest Opera Mini is just as capable.


JustJess,

The screen held up pretty well against fingernail abuse; not sure how it'll handle keys and coins though - don't think the apple store techs would've been too happy seeing some shady-looking dude trying to scratch their precious iPhone with a key [evil]
 
Posted by WinterSolstice (Member # 934) on June 30, 2007, 17:22:
 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
WinterSolstice,

What about Palm's Treos? New ones are a bit on the expensive side, but you can find used 700p models in brand new condition for well under $200, and service is dirt-cheap if you go with Sprint - you can get 1250 minutes, free data, free tethering (unofficial, but it works - *cough* USBModem *cough*), 7pm N&W and unlimited SMS for $50/mo, or 500 minutes for $30/mo. That sure as hell beats having to pay $60 for a stripped-down plan and tortoise-like EDGE data network with CrapT&T.

PS: Got to play with an iPhone today and wasn't too impressed. It's a cool shiny toy, but the interface was painfully slow, the keyboard was quite a PITA to use, and everything crashed like it was running under poorly set up Windows ME. The web browser was quite nice, but newest Opera Mini is just as capable.

Well, I had some really bad experiences with 4 or 5 Treos and Palms, and after my last Windows Mobile/Win CE device (an iPaq 5550) I swore off that whole platform. So I'm going with other stuff - no Win*, no Palm*. I'm down with Symbian or whatever.
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on July 01, 2007, 06:32:
 
I use a very scientific process to decide what phone I plan on purchasing.

I start out by looking at my current phone and proceed with a checklist.

1. Does it work?
Yes. You don't need a new one.
No. You need a new one. Go to #2.

2. Is there anything on sale with my current provider?
Yes. Buy it.
No. Get another provider. Go to #3.

3. What provider has a dirt cheap phone that can make calls without the Camera, MP3 player, Web Browser, Video Camera, Laser Light Show, Garage Door Opener, Vibrator.
Proceed to #4

4. Can it make calls reliably?
Yes. Go to #5
No. Go back to #3

5. Buy it.

Edit: I have never understood the appeal of these new phones. I want to make a reliable phone call and maybe fire off a text message here and there. My phones go through terrible abuse and I cannot justify spending that kind of money on anything that within the first week will be dropped, laid face down on concrete, smacked into door jambs ,because I have a tendency to think that they miraculously move out of my way, or get in the hands of a 6 yr old.
 
Posted by Spiderman (Member # 1609) on July 01, 2007, 07:03:
 
I picked up an 8GB iPhone at the local Apple store on Friday night - amazingly, they had quite a few of them available, and I got there at 8:30PM.

As a gadget junkie, I couldn't ask for anything more, and as far as the actual calling plan goes, they're actually decently competetive considering the unlimited data plan. And most people I call are on the Cingular or AT&T network anywah (free calls).

This thing is freaking cool.

I have no regrets.

Nor does my wallet. [Wink]
 
Posted by angryjungman (Member # 2434) on July 01, 2007, 07:09:
 
Have to agree with Spiderman. No regrets. Although unlike Spiderman, I waited on like for 8 hours for my iPhone. [Razz] But it was fun hanging out with the other people on line and I was in the first group to go into the store.
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on July 01, 2007, 10:38:
 
Spidie and angry... SWEET! iPhones aren't available in Canada, but if they would work without activation, I would get one just for the websurfing and iPod-ness. Face it folks, these are the coolest. gadget. ever. [Cool]
 
Posted by Luke Skywalker (Member # 3096) on July 01, 2007, 15:06:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Spiderman:
I picked up an 8GB iPhone at the local Apple store on Friday night - amazingly, they had quite a few of them available, and I got there at 8:30PM.

From what Ive heard, Apple stores got a few more than At&T stores (actually quite a few more), as most AT&T stores sold out quickly. You can find them at all sorts of Apple stores still.
 
Posted by zesovietrussian (Member # 1177) on July 01, 2007, 18:28:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
Spidie and angry... SWEET! iPhones aren't available in Canada, but if they would work without activation, I would get one just for the websurfing and iPod-ness. Face it folks, these are the coolest. gadget. ever. [Cool]

I'm sure someone will find a way soon, but can you even imagine how much it's going to cost unlocked?

Speaking of cool gadgets, this looks pretty interesting, assuming the alleged $199 price isn't a typo.
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on July 01, 2007, 18:32:
 
iPhone pre-paid...

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/01/prepaid-iphone-in-a-nutshell/
 
Posted by zesovietrussian (Member # 1177) on July 01, 2007, 18:41:
 
Trying (but purposely failing) to sign up for a prepaid plan unlocks ipod and wifi features? Whoa, I think I just might get one - $500 is a little steep, but it's not that much more expensive than a high-end PDA, and I assume I can use bluetooth to tether it to my Treo if wifi isn't available [evil]
 
Posted by Callipygous (Member # 2071) on July 02, 2007, 02:32:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
For me, the iPhone has a pretty screen that I would scratch up. I would get complained at by the people who think if a computer peripheral is not pristine, I'm a puppy-kicker or something.

Not anal retentive enough to own something not ruggedized. People seeing my 12" powerbook would weep (no stickers, but it's beat up somewhat).

Sorry Jess but I have bad news for your bank account.

Can you resist it now?
 
Posted by spungo (Member # 1089) on July 02, 2007, 06:23:
 
Good link there, Calli. Impressive screen that thing's got, eh?
 
Posted by Just_Jess_B (Member # 2161) on July 02, 2007, 10:12:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:
quote:
Originally posted by Just_Jess_B:
For me, the iPhone has a pretty screen that I would scratch up. I would get complained at by the people who think if a computer peripheral is not pristine, I'm a puppy-kicker or something.

Sorry Jess but I have bad news for your bank account.

Can you resist it now?

Actually, yeah. I got a look at the Helio Ocean, and it's looking pretty nice. The iPhone is supposed to be a good cell phone (though it uses a restricted AT&T plan ONLY, and our current AT&T/Cingular reception sucks duck butt), and a great iPod. I own an iPod, so I don't need a new one. Hell, I even own a SLVR, which is an iPod phone that gets AT&T service.

As for internet mobility, there are a few things the Helio has that the Gen-1 iPhone does not. At this point, I'm not going to early adopt, but the ruggedization is a bonus.

Time will tell. That's all I can say about any technology.
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on July 02, 2007, 20:13:
 
I don't have a cell phone. There's lots of way to say fsck you to society, and this is the way I have chosen. I'm not so important that anyone NEEDS to find me anywhere and everywhere, and I've found that the rest of life's little emergencies can be negotiated without a cell phone (given that mankind has existed far longer than cell phones, this should not be such a shocker). My limited experience with borrowing phones or talking to people on phones has not warmed me to them. The batteries are always dying, the signal is always getting dropped, and assuming none of the former happens there's always some sort of static or distortion that makes the person on the other end hard to hear or understand. I hate talking on the phone to start with; talking to someone on a cell phone with a less than perfect signal is even worse. Therefore, I'm not in line for an iPhone either.

My boyfriend has similar feelings towards cell phones. No wonder we get along so well.
 
Posted by stringlion (Member # 4767) on July 02, 2007, 22:41:
 
Xanthine. I don't have a cellphone either, but not for the same reason as you. But hopefully, I can get one for Christmas or something, Hopefully by then there were be more widgets to download or something.

Zesovietrussion, wher'es that mall? I could've sworn It's the one not yoo far from where I live, But I could be wrong.
 
Posted by Tom- geeking around (Member # 2876) on July 03, 2007, 10:31:
 
I am not going to buy an iPhone, for European measures, it's not really that much of a fantastic tool, besides a nice design, good software (though, Nokia is decent too) and a touchscreen.
Simply the lack of a decent built-in Camera (2 MP? come on! my 3 year old Nokia 7610 has 1 MP already) and UMTS capability kick it out of competition.

Sorry Apple,

Thomas
 
Posted by WinterSolstice (Member # 934) on July 03, 2007, 10:49:
 
Yup. The iPhone is like the G5. It was behind the curve before it even came out. Too slow, to expensive, too many features that are bloat, but missing the features that are needed. (No SDK? No Java? No Flash? Puhleeease)
 
Posted by zesovietrussian (Member # 1177) on July 03, 2007, 16:51:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I don't have a cell phone. There's lots of way to say fsck you to society, and this is the way I have chosen. I'm not so important that anyone NEEDS to find me anywhere and everywhere, and I've found that the rest of life's little emergencies can be negotiated without a cell phone (given that mankind has existed far longer than cell phones, this should not be such a shocker). My limited experience with borrowing phones or talking to people on phones has not warmed me to them. The batteries are always dying, the signal is always getting dropped, and assuming none of the former happens there's always some sort of static or distortion that makes the person on the other end hard to hear or understand. I hate talking on the phone to start with; talking to someone on a cell phone with a less than perfect signal is even worse. Therefore, I'm not in line for an iPhone either.

My boyfriend has similar feelings towards cell phones. No wonder we get along so well.

Does your boyfriend wear large aviator sunglasses and a funny-looking hoodie? [Razz]
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on July 03, 2007, 17:03:
 
No. Cell phones are pretty much the only breed of gadget he won't bring home. Anything else, if it's got circuits, he's either buying it or figuring out how to build it.
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on July 04, 2007, 13:02:
 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
Trying (but purposely failing) to sign up for a prepaid plan unlocks ipod and wifi features? Whoa, I think I just might get one - $500 is a little steep, but it's not that much more expensive than a high-end PDA, and I assume I can use bluetooth to tether it to my Treo if wifi isn't available [evil]

You can't tether it:
http://www.macintouch.com/iphone/faq.html#networks
(4th from the bottom of that group ~ m/tether/)
 
Posted by Steen (Member # 170) on July 11, 2007, 07:57:
 
You may not be able to tether it, but you can blend it
 


© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0