This is topic Where did everyone go? in forum Ask a Geek! at The Geek Culture Forums!.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=12;t=002691

Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 03:14:
 
Is it the facebook? The Twitter? The forums are creeping along in their dotage... there's only one (!!!) active topic? There's still a handful of us lingering on in IRC -- but no new blood.

What's up with this?

Theories and suppositions and plain old crazy talk welcome. (I'm still trying to work out a plotline that involves reptilians, Colonel Panic in the library with a glow-stick, and Google.)
 
Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 05:03:
 
There. I have added another ten active topics to today's list.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 25, 2010, 05:41:
 
____ I fear that most of the Politics, and other news does not light the same kinds of fires in everyone bellies. I think that the Right wing group has moved on, most of us left behind are middle of the road politically and have lost the fire.

____ ASM, CP, RED and Blue have all disappeared, or been blocked, No really good flame wars in a long time, When everyone is near the same, it is hard to get a good debate going. We haven't had a good MS/Apple/OpenSource debate as every one is starting to believe that all Computers are much the same.

____ ASH still posts so the collider hasen't made a Black Hole. Unless he has found out how to get messages out.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on April 25, 2010, 05:45:
 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
I think that the Right wing group has moved on

Those FEMA no-infidel-left-behind camps were money well spent.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 25, 2010, 05:58:
 
____ There are too many people to list, that I valued their contibutions to our forums. People evolve and move on, I am stuck as a teenager in an old mans body. I can't run with the big dogs any more so here I am on the porch.
 
Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 07:34:
 
Actually, I think the lack of political arguments is a plus. I have this theory that 93% of the internet consists of porn and people arguing about politics. And it's all boring.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 25, 2010, 08:58:
 
____ Snaggy, I am sure it is possible, but would you be adverse to a mass mailing Bcc of course, to all members of these forums, maybe to relight their pilot lights.

____ Maybe include this whole topic?
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on April 25, 2010, 09:27:
 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
There. I have added another ten active topics to today's list.

So I see...dang...I remembered seeing the kind of sad 'there are no new topics' screen last night, and now I wake up to a page full of 'fs.' [Razz]
(There are far worse ways to wake up, mind you!)

/me waves a bit
 
Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 10:09:
 
Dman!

So Wave has stolen you away? I have not tried it yet. Is it another social networking thing? I am so over them. I like Twitter for the simplicity, and accomplishing the only thing I actually care about on facebook (status updates).

I am unsure what the point of Google Buzz is and have so far ignored it every time Google asks me about it.

There is too much stuff to keep track of these days.
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on April 25, 2010, 10:33:
 
Ah fs, it makes me happy when you pop by. [Smile]

I think fs is right, it's a case of too much stuff to keep track of these days. Besides these Forums, I'm on Twitter mostly now. Although one thing I don't like about Twitter is that there is so much stuff happening all the time, one tends to miss your favorite people's posts unless you set up a list of them. Where as here, topics and posts stay visible longer.

I think this Forum is so old tech, not many of the young-ins know what the heck it is. [Razz]

MoMan it is possible to mass email everyone, but I don't want to do that. First off, I hate those. Secondly, someone would probably put our server on those spam lists, which makes it very hard for me to do business with customers.

I much prefer the Forums with less flame wars. Even if there are less posts and sometimes dead as a doorknob, it's just a nicer place to be.

PS facebook is mostly evil.
 
Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 10:46:
 
Snaggy!

The damn kids can't figure out how to get on the lawn!

I have to sort out my twitter. I don't post so often anymore. You are right about the inundation. I have it set up in irssi right now. I don't know how that handles lists.
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on April 25, 2010, 11:38:
 
I do lurk, but most of my time has been spent doing mundane tasks.

Work, classes, kids and cars. And right now I have been focusing a lot on the more blue collar aspects of my personality when I am not being immersed in the day to day tech/school items.

I really haven't been a part of IRC or here because most of what I am doing has been decidedly non-geek related.
 
Posted by Bibo (Member # 1959) on April 25, 2010, 11:50:
 
I lurk, but yeah, Twitter & Facebook have become my main places the past 2 years now.
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on April 25, 2010, 12:46:
 
This is like your spring cleaning FS!, I think last spring you brought the forums back from the brink , and we were having entirely new freshest 15 post pages every day, but then I went off to Africa for a while and when I came back the forums were back to "normal", but not as slow as they have been of late.
 
Posted by fs (Member # 1181) on April 25, 2010, 13:23:
 
Partly I think it is that it sometimes feels redundant to post things here... like we all read the same other sites, get the same news elsewhere. At least to me. And often I don't feel I have anything especially interesting to say, otherwise.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 25, 2010, 17:46:
 
____ FS. Yes we often see the same headlines, however we each read them differently, and the way we post them exposes some of our selves. What our interests are, what upsets us, what we like.

____ So while some editorial may appear mundane, the way you present the item speaks volumes.
 
Posted by geekygoddess (Member # 15702) on April 25, 2010, 17:57:
 
Well, ever since my Mac was stolen, I am on alot less then I used to be. And with the weather being so great I have been spending lots of time outside. I graduate in two weeks and after that I will be in Scotland for most the summer on a study abroad trip. I just don't have the time for faceboook, twitter, or GC like I used too. I still like to lurk and check on my old buddies:)
 
Posted by Richard Wolf VI (Member # 4993) on April 25, 2010, 19:31:
 
Got a job, trying to get everything right to start over University and well, some proyects related to the furry fandom, Colombiafur mainly: http://colombiafur.ning.com
 
Posted by Rhonwyyn (Member # 2854) on April 25, 2010, 20:24:
 
I've found fat-friendly and fat-fashion-friendly Web sites, and that's where I spend most of my time. I'm afraid I've been sucked in to the vapid vortex. It's so bad that I had Jonathan take his iBook to someone to get fixed rather than try to figure it out myself. Also, I'm doing a lot of crocheting. I pop in here every so often, but definitely not as much as I once did. I think I should probably turn in my "Geek" card; it really isn't applicable to me anymore. [ohwell]
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on April 25, 2010, 21:33:
 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Dman!

So Wave has stolen you away? I have not tried it yet. Is it another social networking thing? I am so over them. I like Twitter for the simplicity, and accomplishing the only thing I actually care about on facebook (status updates).

I am unsure what the point of Google Buzz is and have so far ignored it every time Google asks me about it.

There is too much stuff to keep track of these days.

fs!

And hell no...I don't use either of those things.

Just that the linked video shoud've been a tad ironic, that's all. ;P
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on April 25, 2010, 21:50:
 
I've been being a labrat. It's a lot of work changing fields. I've been learning all kinds of things and picking up a whole new lexicon of science jargon and slang. I've also been getting my condo ready for sale (see my rant about HOAs somewhere) and so most of my spare time at home has gone to that.

The irony is I probably deserve my geek card more now than ever. My husband and his friend were whining about some sort of laser issue they'd encountered (they doesn't really work with lasers, but they bang into them from time to time) and I just sort of rolled my eyes and told them to get a collimator. [crazy]
 
Posted by zorgon (Member # 546) on April 26, 2010, 09:42:
 
If political flamewars are on the wane, I may come by more often! I'm tired of that crap absolutely everywhere.
 
Posted by angryjungman (Member # 2434) on April 26, 2010, 10:23:
 
Settling down with wife and house has made me incredibly boring. Plus I've just become a lot less social in general.
 
Posted by Stereo (Member # 748) on April 26, 2010, 10:59:
 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
Settling down with wife and house has made me incredibly boring. Plus I've just become a lot less social in general.

So I take the marriage is still going strong! Good for you! [Applause]

As for me, it's Second Life and its unending ways of wasting time - sometimes even with people! - that keeps me away. I wake up with the web-comics tour, and come back to SL. Although I have to cut on this and spend more time preparing for my voyage and selling the condo. But it's hard when you know people expect you to show up...
 
Posted by Grummash (Member # 4289) on April 26, 2010, 13:18:
 
For me the quick answer is ... too much stuff going on IRL to spend as much time here as I used to.

That is true, if a little simplistic. Work is a bitch. Mrs Grummash's health issues take up a lot of time, Old Mother Grummash takes more looking after with each passing year, money is always on my mind now that Mrs Grummash doesn't draw a salary - so I could just say it's all about stress.

But I wonder if, for me at least, there is more to it than that. I used to post quite lengthy contributions to debates when I first joined, but they would take ages to formulate and type. As the loonies have moved on there are fewer contentious points of view to read because most GCers, of whatever religious/political affiliation, seem to be decent sensible people. So there is less need for posts to be debated at length and I , for one, have got out of practice.

Being fundamentally a lazy person I seem to have descended into mostly "what he said" kind of posts. Twitter is easier to fit in with a short attention span, although I read more than I tweet, but you get to know people better in the forums and in IRC, so maybe I should dust off my ageing brain and get back to posting stuff people might actually want to read! [Big Grin]
 
Posted by macmcseboy (Member # 1232) on April 26, 2010, 16:20:
 
Ping!

I do check in quite regularly. Daily in fact. I have made some posts! I do contribute! However it does not seem to spark everyone's fancy.

Other than that I am reachable on the facecrack and such. Like iChat, FB also has some of my preferred customers on it so I have that on most of the time.

Been busy with work, drama, pointy haired boss.

Other than, the fishing season is started back up. I'll be going more often on the weekends. I also occasionally seek out Crab, specifically Metacarcinus Magister and Cancer Productus.

Still being a geek in general.
 
Posted by MacManKrisK (Member # 955) on April 26, 2010, 19:40:
 
I'm still here. I just post less.

For the sake of making conversation, I got a fortune cookie with my Chinese food tonight and it was made of fail.

The fortune reads: "Behind an able man, there are always."
 
Posted by skylar (Member # 1422) on April 27, 2010, 08:52:
 
I'm still here! Well, actually I checked in today for the first time in months (years?), and happened to see this thread [Smile]

Really interesting to hear how people are doing and what you're up to. I was expecting it to be all fresh blood by now, so it's a relief to see you [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

My absence can be easily explained by a complete lack of time... I sorta faded out of things when the political flame wars were just firing up, because I tend to avoid getting involved with these things, but since then my life has also busied up massively - guess that's what happens when you get your own place and a full-time job and all that crap that's attendant to being a grown-up.

Can't say I can blame Facebook or Twitter either - I'm not very active on either since I have to maintain social networking accounts on behalf of the company I work for, so the mere sight of anything which wants me to share it with all my friends is enough to turn me into a jibbering wreck.

Life is good, though - despite the social networking my job is pretty great, I found a cool apartment in a city I love, and I have a sweet live-in boyfriend who indulges me in all the random pointless stuff I like to do at weekends.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that now I'm 24 I have a lot less time on my hands than when I joined GC at the age of 16 ... man, doesn't time fly?
 
Posted by spungo (Member # 1089) on April 27, 2010, 09:04:
 
I never go away. I'm like a turd that won't flush. I can't blame my inactivity on having a life or anything, I'm just too lazy to type sometimes.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 27, 2010, 09:23:
 
____ Skylar, I am pleased that you still lurk about. On world issues you bring a different perspective, one that is needed in debates. I also know that the passage of time has taken you to new to you places and exposed you to more of the world. I hope that as adults her we can debate world issues with out them turning into name calling and flame wars, to me this is how we learn, to me your view point is valuable.

___ So please post often again
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on April 27, 2010, 12:14:
 
quote:
Originally posted by skylar:
I'm still here! Well, actually I checked in today for the first time in months (years?), and happened to see this thread [Smile]

Really interesting to hear how people are doing and what you're up to. I was expecting it to be all fresh blood by now, so it's a relief to see you [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

My absence can be easily explained by a complete lack of time... I sorta faded out of things when the political flame wars were just firing up, because I tend to avoid getting involved with these things, but since then my life has also busied up massively - guess that's what happens when you get your own place and a full-time job and all that crap that's attendant to being a grown-up.

Can't say I can blame Facebook or Twitter either - I'm not very active on either since I have to maintain social networking accounts on behalf of the company I work for, so the mere sight of anything which wants me to share it with all my friends is enough to turn me into a jibbering wreck.

Life is good, though - despite the social networking my job is pretty great, I found a cool apartment in a city I love, and I have a sweet live-in boyfriend who indulges me in all the random pointless stuff I like to do at weekends.

I guess it just boils down to the fact that now I'm 24 I have a lot less time on my hands than when I joined GC at the age of 16 ... man, doesn't time fly?

you still up north were tehy speak german funny? fluent yet?
 
Posted by quantumfluff (Member # 450) on April 27, 2010, 16:54:
 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
I never go away. I'm like a turd that won't flush. I can't blame my inactivity on having a life or anything, I'm just too lazy to type sometimes.

Spungo: Your posts always bring joy and laughter to my heart.
 
Posted by Ugh, MightyClub (Member # 3112) on April 27, 2010, 17:38:
 
I'm around most days, but I'm quiet by nature. I guess I don't say much because I don't have the ease with words that spungo apparently does. I guess that makes me an *invisible* unflushable turd.
 
Posted by skylar (Member # 1422) on April 28, 2010, 08:52:
 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Skylar, I am pleased that you still lurk about. On world issues you bring a different perspective, one that is needed in debates. I also know that the passage of time has taken you to new to you places and exposed you to more of the world. I hope that as adults her we can debate world issues with out them turning into name calling and flame wars, to me this is how we learn, to me your view point is valuable.

___ So please post often again

Aw shucks, thanks MoMan [Smile] I definitely will attempt to post more often... living in a foreign country means it's difficult to engage in particularly complex conversations with my German and expat friends sometimes - it can be a strain to try to get across the nuances of what you're trying to say. So it would be refreshing to have a place to argue again [Wink]
 
Posted by skylar (Member # 1422) on April 28, 2010, 08:54:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
you still up north were tehy speak german funny? fluent yet?

noch nicht, aber versuche ich [Wink]
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on April 28, 2010, 10:06:
 
____ Skylar, I know just enough about your culture to make a fool of myself, and not wanting to write hear say, or come across as a fool, I too am gaurded in what I post. Now I could tell you how terrifing flashbacks can be, but most here do not want that knowledge. To be able to write to a young woman of your back ground does require a degree of interest in other cultures. I find the chance as a true education. The sort of thing one does not learn in schools.
 
Posted by skylar (Member # 1422) on April 30, 2010, 03:27:
 
The feeling is mutual, MoMan... I find it amazing that I'm able to carry on conversations with people like you from backgrounds and cultures that are completely different to mine, and who have experienced things which give them a wisdom and understanding which is quite beyond me. I feel like I can get a real perspective on worlds which I could only imagine - and I love that [Smile]
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on May 01, 2010, 06:18:
 
____ Some of the questions I have would be much too intrusive, to be asked in an open forum. Your culture is yours and mine is mine, while I am curious I would not want to put you in a uncomfortable position.
 
Posted by bull3t (Member # 852) on May 03, 2010, 20:46:
 
fs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1!!


the better question is where have YOU been!

hit me up, m!!
 
Posted by skylar (Member # 1422) on May 04, 2010, 05:48:
 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Some of the questions I have would be much too intrusive, to be asked in an open forum. Your culture is yours and mine is mine, while I am curious I would not want to put you in a uncomfortable position.

I would PM you but I don't seem to be able to - but feel free to send me a message, I'm happy to answer anything you're curious about [thumbsup]
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on May 04, 2010, 06:59:
 
____ Mostly the question was about Mother/Father Issues. Mothers are usually more tolerant than Fathers, and has dad softened?
 
Posted by MacManKrisK (Member # 955) on May 04, 2010, 09:32:
 
I've not done this for a while... it's time I wrote a LOOONG post again! You've been warned.

Upon further reflection, it feels like I've become less impulsive as I've gotten older (or perhaps it has to do with the fact that I don't spend much time with my alter-ego M2K2 anymore). I used to post a lot around here, but now I find I'm more reserved in my posts and where I choose to post.

I think I used to be more ego-centric, perhaps. Now I feel that nobody really wants to read what I have to say about anything because my opinion is just as useless (or useful) as the next person's.

Of course the constant political flame wars that abounded here for a while didn't help much. And there were the constant non-political, apparently-psychosis-induced flame wars and outright personal attacks that happened. Those both had an extremely detrimental effect to our community. I think people (myself included) were leery of posting anything after all of that. I think most people here are tired of political issues just because of all the damage they caused. On that note, thank you fs, for poking your head out of the foxhole and being a brave soul to try to bring some non-politically-charged conversation back here!

It's nice to see my favorite home on the web thriving again. [Smile]

And I promise to be less-discretionary about what and where I post.... [Razz]
 
Posted by Jessycat (Member # 1171) on May 04, 2010, 10:25:
 
I just don't have much to say that's relevant to anything other than my own daily petty frustrations.

But I still love you all!!!!! [Smile]
 
Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on May 04, 2010, 10:34:
 
--- [hearts] [Big Grin] [Cool] Jessycat!!!!! [Cool] [Big Grin] [hearts] ---
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on May 04, 2010, 10:39:
 
____ I like good debate, not name calling, or personal attacks, much like High School and college level debates, it is difficult to hold a civil debate when we do not know each other personally however that does not excuse personal style attacks. I agree that the old high temp. debates caused some to shut down and not post. but lets not let the fire go out here, we still need a pilot light.

____ I have found it very hard to start a thread that goes into two or more pages.
 
Posted by BooBooKitty (Member # 5566) on May 06, 2010, 05:49:
 
Uhm, hello. I used to post here at some point in time. Then something in the real world kept me occupied for some time. You know, stuff like work and uhm, work, I guess?

For some inexplicable reason I decided to come back here and see what's been happening.

Like Bibo I got sucked into the vortices known as Facebook and Twitter. I think some of you know that already.

So yeah... *wave* [Smile]
 
Posted by Callipygous (Member # 2071) on May 06, 2010, 06:22:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
--- [hearts] [Big Grin] [Cool] Jessycat!!!!! [Cool] [Big Grin] [hearts] ---

[thumbsup] [hearts] you madly too Jess!
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on August 23, 2010, 12:02:
 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
Actually, I think the lack of political arguments is a plus. I have this theory that 93% of the internet consists of porn and people arguing about politics. And it's all boring.

Incoming Necropost!

fs: Did you actually say that pRon is boring? Political rants, definitely, but really...pRon?!! No wonder the Cap'n doesn't frequent GC anymore. [devil wand]

Browsing through this thread, the reasons given by most seem to apply to my inactivity here as well. I have to admit that Facebook had been a simple form of social pablum where arguments seldom blossomed as they do (did?) in the Politics/Religion forum here at GC.

The arguing here is fine, when we accord each other at least basic human respect while restraining ourselves from straw-man and personal attacks. It seems that most who remain here behave thus, but I've only looked in a couple of times in the past year.

And then it gets easier and easier to be drawn into the networking connections offered by the scriptware on Facebook. Pretty soon one can find themselves surrounded by "like-minded" folks, (maybe "brain-dead" would be more accurate), whom they do not really know and no genuine argument taking place. It "seems" friendly due to the lack of confrontation, but in reality there is just little or no thinking going on over at FB. The same can be said for the political forums, no matter which flavor you try.

So, as of this morning,I just eliminated 2/3 of my Facebook connections and will refrain from doing other than checking up on newsfeeds from people there whose lives I am a least somewhat involved IRL. As for the political forums, I ceased visiting them quite a while back. I can't say that I've missed them. GC is a different story, of course.

FWIW, YMMV

gg
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on August 23, 2010, 14:52:
 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
Pretty soon one can find themselves surrounded by "like-minded" folks, (maybe "brain-dead" would be more accurate), whom they do not really know and no genuine argument taking place.

This is the thing that puzzles me about FaceBook, I got a friend invitation from the mother of a druidling's classmate, she has over 1000 FaceBook 'friends'. WTF? No-one 'knows' over 1,000 people, and with over 1,000 'friends' the signal-to-noise ratio must be close to 0.

Size of friends list seems to be some sort of 21st century dick-size competition - quantity over quality.
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on August 23, 2010, 16:38:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
This is the thing that puzzles me about FaceBook, I got a friend invitation from the mother of a druidling's classmate, she has over 1000 FaceBook 'friends'. WTF? No-one 'knows' over 1,000 people, and with over 1,000 'friends' the signal-to-noise ratio must be close to 0.

Size of friends list seems to be some sort of 21st century dick-size competition - quantity over quality.

I like it - 'signal-to-noise ratio', good comparison, Druid.

1,000 is ridiculous; I've lost count of the number of times invitations arrive for one to befriend someone who has 3 to 5 thousand connections.
 
Posted by GrumpySteen (Member # 170) on August 23, 2010, 16:48:
 
The Famous Druid wrote:
Size of friends list seems to be some sort of 21st century dick-size competition - quantity over quality.

If the friends list size competition seems like an e-peen competition to you, it's only because it is.

The signal-to-noise ratio isn't as bad as you would think. Most of the people who add a stranger also ignore the person immediately so that don't see any of their updates.
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on August 23, 2010, 16:59:
 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:


The signal-to-noise ratio isn't as bad as you would think. Most of the people who add a stranger also ignore the person immediately so that don't see any of their updates.

You're right, of course, Steen - at least as it applies to the 'newsfeeds' of their status posts, links, etc. But then every contact each of them has in their list becomes a suggested "friend" or page or "like".

Short of eliminating a whole bunch of "friends", I found no other method to eliminate that onslaught.

I reduced my participation from 440 contacts down to 137. I should explain that, of those removed, about half were former students who had requested the FB "friendship" thing. Fact is, we are not involved in each others lives anymore. Nothing I've done would prevent them from messaging me at FaceBook, so it seems freeing to me to dump the whole 303.
 
Posted by spungo (Member # 1089) on August 23, 2010, 17:34:
 
Yes, the disparity is mysterious. I have about forty FB friends, but I only know about seven people, and most of those are relatives. The rest, I suspect, are government agents. They're after me vital fluids...
 
Posted by GrumpySteen (Member # 170) on August 23, 2010, 17:57:
 
I have two Facebook friends. Those two people are also my two closest friends.

I may be a wee bit less social that most people, though [Smile]
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on August 24, 2010, 00:07:
 
I have the rule that I will not friend someone unless I have met them and at least had a conversation with them.

FWIW I think I have like 20 friends or less on facebook.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on August 24, 2010, 04:31:
 
____WikiLeaks=FaceBook=WikiLeaks=FaceBook=WikiLeaks

____ I will tell those that need to know my where abouts, every one else will hear about the trip after the fact. Everyone is treated on a need to know basis. of family and friends some friends have more trust than some family. thats the way I see it.
 
Posted by Callipygous (Member # 2071) on August 24, 2010, 05:12:
 
How to use Facebook
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on August 24, 2010, 06:29:
 
SSN, where I am, times I am not homeassorted personal information, favorite hemmeroid creme ect. are things I really don't care if anyone else knows.

So what if someone steals my SSN and creates lousy credit for me. I have lost nomthing but the abilty for me to obtain debt. is that really that bad?

So what if someone breaks into my home and starts stealing stuff, the most valueable thing is the house itself and well, they are not goign to get far withthat, nor are they going to steal the things that matter, pictures, trinkets from travels, ect.

Freedom is having nothing left to lose, or at least not caring when unimportant things are lost.
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on August 24, 2010, 07:17:
 
Ash: it's easy to think you don't value your privacy, until someone violates it.

My flatmate in London was from New York, and she'd spent years trying to sort out the mess that arose when someone in the part of the USA where gas stations are still considered 'hi tech' took a part time job using her Social Security number.

She got a bill for unpaid taxes.

Repeat:
    Flatmate: I live in New York. Do you think I'd commute 3,000 miles to work 20 hours/week in a gas station?
    IRS: But our records show...
until (hell freezes over);
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on August 24, 2010, 07:32:
 
____ My point exactly TFD. I have an automated Packet Station, If some one were to open the correct switch, all transmissions would be IDed as comming from me.
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on August 24, 2010, 12:12:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Ash: it's easy to think you don't value your privacy, until someone violates it.

My flatmate in London was from New York, and she'd spent years trying to sort out the mess that arose when someone in the part of the USA where gas stations are still considered 'hi tech' took a part time job using her Social Security number.

She got a bill for unpaid taxes.

Repeat:
    Flatmate: I live in New York. Do you think I'd commute 3,000 miles to work 20 hours/week in a gas station?
    IRS: But our records show...
until (hell freezes over);

hmmm, i was actually thinking about posting my soc. to prove my point, but in the end decided agaist it for the reasons I couldn't think of. Like what you just mentioned.
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on August 24, 2010, 19:53:
 
And in response to the original question asked by this thread, maybe they WTF?!

(Went To France, as I recall)
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on August 26, 2010, 05:39:
 
____ Well where did every one go, active members seem to come and go like the tides, it appears we are at low tide.


____ Identity stolen, that could be scary, listen up folks.

____ A man is rushed to the hospital and under goes emergency surgery to have an internal organ removed. Three months later the Hospital, Doctors and his Insurance company are fighting over the costs, it seems he had this organ removed before in an emergency situation.

____ Now it gets even better, he can not look at his medical records, because it may contain info about the impostor. Damn HIPPA laws
 
Posted by Ashitaka (Member # 4924) on August 26, 2010, 07:32:
 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Well where did every one go, active members seem to come and go like the tides, it appears we are at low tide.


____ Identity stolen, that could be scary, listen up folks.

____ A man is rushed to the hospital and under goes emergency surgery to have an internal organ removed. Three months later the Hospital, Doctors and his Insurance company are fighting over the costs, it seems he had this organ removed before in an emergency situation.

____ Now it gets even better, he can not look at his medical records, because it may contain info about the impostor. Damn HIPPA laws

This is why you ask for the removed organs in a glass jar, if the insurance company complain you take said removed organ to said comapny, and put it on their desk.
 
Posted by TheMoMan (Member # 1659) on August 26, 2010, 07:39:
 
____ That could be a sticky wicket, kind of like who owns a totaled car. You or the insurance company. They are going to claim that it is theirs whilst you have not signed off, wait you did at admission when you signed that info be released to your insurer.
 
Posted by alfrin (Member # 3836) on August 27, 2010, 23:32:
 
I know I'm late in the thread, but I'm also late on posting. Hi! Sorry that I haven't been present!
 


© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0