This is topic Christo and Jeanne-Claude's The Gates in forum Let's Get Creative! at The Geek Culture Forums!.


To visit this topic, use this URL:
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=10;t=000139

Posted by Snaggy (Member # 123) on February 11, 2005, 17:45:
 
No, it's not Bill, it's The Gates, in New York's Central Park.

http://www.cbc.ca/story/arts/national/2005/02/11/Arts/christogates050211.html

More info here, at the artist's site.
http://christojeanneclaude.net/tg.html

hopefully some NYC geeks can see and report on this. [thumbsup]

 -
 
Posted by magefile (Member # 2918) on February 11, 2005, 20:44:
 
Is this the guy who wrapped the Reichstag building in plastic?
 
Posted by Rhonwyyn (Member # 2854) on February 11, 2005, 21:06:
 
Wow. That looks totally cool! I want to go see it!

Now, just add a big snow and it looks like a downhill ski course, just horizontal.
 
Posted by Too Cool To Quit (Member # 2217) on February 17, 2005, 22:09:
 
I don't know about horizontal skiing, but I've been told I'm quite good at horizontal dancing.
 
Posted by drunkennewfiemidget (Member # 2814) on February 18, 2005, 06:45:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Too Cool To Quit:
I don't know about horizontal skiing, but I've been told I'm quite good at horizontal dancing.

Did Palmela Handerson tell you that?

*grin*
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on February 18, 2005, 06:55:
 
Oh, a lot of us (NYers) are saying "They're spending $21 M on what?!" Personally, it's not quite my thing. I'm going to be around in the city this weekend (though mostly in Brooklyn), and I may check it out just for the hell of it. That doesn't mean I necessarily approve of it, but that I'll have a few hours to kill, and some pictures to take. [Razz]
 
Posted by hey-U (Member # 2128) on February 18, 2005, 08:03:
 
This link was in metafilter yesterday...

http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm

[Big Grin]
 
Posted by drunkennewfiemidget (Member # 2814) on February 18, 2005, 08:13:
 
quote:
Originally posted by hey-U:
This link was in metafilter yesterday...

http://www.not-rocket-science.com/gates.htm

[Big Grin]

That's hilarious.
 
Posted by Serenak (Member # 2950) on February 18, 2005, 08:46:
 
Ha ha ha that really is good - I like it, unlike the other set which just seem stupid to me...

And before I get called a Philistine, I LIKE the Angel of the North a not very good pic of it here
 
Posted by Xanthine (Member # 736) on February 18, 2005, 11:14:
 
I like 'em. Wish I could see them in person though.
 
Posted by Stibbons (Member # 2515) on February 18, 2005, 13:31:
 
Our lovely northern angel is far nicer. Not that I'm biased in anyway, at all.

/me dons flatcap and goes for a walk in the hills [Razz]
 
Posted by Serenak (Member # 2950) on February 18, 2005, 16:17:
 
Maybe you have to see the Gates to "get" the effect, sometimes photos just don't do things the justice they deserve, but overall - "nah", just seems silly to me..
[Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on February 18, 2005, 17:58:
 
Well if they are willing to pay that much for metal frames covered in cloth. I think everyone here at GC could pool all of our outdated computer cases together and make a hell of a $20 Mil sculpture. Just to make it look like we are cutting them a deal. [Big Grin]
 
Posted by Too Cool To Quit (Member # 2217) on February 18, 2005, 18:13:
 
Actually... that might could work.

Shroom, you are a genius.
 
Posted by CommanderShroom (Member # 2097) on February 18, 2005, 18:35:
 
/me takes a bow and a 60% cut.
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on February 18, 2005, 20:36:
 
FWIW, it's ~13 miles worth of gates, and about ~7500 gates. I'm pulling those numbers out of thin air - I think that's roughly what I read the other day. One of my colleagues pointed out that $20 M could go a long way in fighting disease (think Gates Foundation vaccination program), as opposed to this. To me, it's a whole lot of money for a 2 week installment.

And if my day goes a little better tomorrow, I won't actually have time to see the gates, unless my day goes *really well.*
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on February 18, 2005, 20:39:
 
The wasted $20 Million on that?? C'mon, think of the bombs they could have been dropping on the huddeled masses over in Iraq. I mean *sheesh* when are they going to get serious about finding those weapons of mass destruction.

 -


In other news, Bush tells Syria to remove troops, adhere to UN resolutions and stop influencing other countries with military power.

/Irony
 
Posted by The Famous Druid (Member # 1769) on February 18, 2005, 23:05:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
In other news, Bush tells Syria to remove troops, adhere to UN resolutions and stop influencing other countries with military power.

/Irony

I had to laugh the other morning, some whitehouse spokes-droid was commenting on the bombing in Beirut, his points were

- Syria has 15,000 troops in Lebanon, which means the bombing must have Syrian approval, because with that many troops, they'd have total control of what goes on

- Syria sent troops to Lebanon without UN approval

- Syrias excuse for having troops in Lebabon is to provide stability and security, and they've obviously failed at that, so it's time for them to leave.

Sheer comic genius.
 
Posted by Black Widow (Member # 3046) on February 19, 2005, 05:51:
 
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on February 19, 2005, 05:55:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]

It's great. Methinks the Cap'n has been spending a bit of time on fark.com lately, it's a cliche over there
 
Posted by hey-U (Member # 2128) on February 19, 2005, 06:13:
 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
In other news, Bush tells Syria to remove troops, adhere to UN resolutions and stop influencing other countries with military power.

/Irony

I had to laugh the other morning, some whitehouse spokes-droid was commenting on the bombing in Beirut, his points were

- Syria has 15,000 troops in Lebanon, which means the bombing must have Syrian approval, because with that many troops, they'd have total control of what goes on

- Syria sent troops to Lebanon without UN approval

- Syrias excuse for having troops in Lebabon is to provide stability and security, and they've obviously failed at that, so it's time for them to leave.

Sheer comic genius.

Yes, I know this is all getting a bit off-topic, but this whole Syria/Lebanon thing is starting to get a little scary, doncha think? Especially in the light of the recent announcement of a "common front" between Iran and Syria:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/4270859.stm

Add to that the anti-Iran sabre-rattling by the present US administration and from where I'm sitting it looks like Desert Storm 3 is, to misquote the Strolling Bones, only a shot away...

:-(

*sigh*

Anyone want a beer while we're waiting?

/me goes off in pursuit of alcoholically-induced temporary oblivion...
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on February 19, 2005, 09:43:
 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]

It's great. Methinks the Cap'n has been spending a bit of time on fark.com lately, it's a cliche over there
My cover is blown.

I was lonely [weep]
 
Posted by hey-U (Member # 2128) on February 19, 2005, 14:33:
 
And this one is courtesy of boingboing:

http://www.smilinggoat.com/crackers.html

Hmm... Do I detect a pattern emerging here?...
 
Posted by garlicguy (Member # 3166) on February 19, 2005, 14:56:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]

Maybe they just left the 'i' out of Rick's last name? It's hard for us Yanks to spell those tough Canuck surnames, eh. [blush]
 
Posted by Serenak (Member # 2950) on February 19, 2005, 15:58:
 
Yo,

Moranis "rocks" especially liked his "Dark Helmet" in "Spaceballs" definite ROFLMAO stuff

A top "geeky" comic genius...

[Big Grin]
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on February 19, 2005, 16:23:
 
quote:
Originally posted by Cap'n Vic:
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Black Widow:
I love that pic Cap'n! So only the Morans have to get a brain? lol! [Big Grin]

It's great. Methinks the Cap'n has been spending a bit of time on fark.com lately, it's a cliche over there
My cover is blown.

I was lonely [weep]

Not that I spend much time there to pick that up *cough*
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on February 19, 2005, 22:17:
 
Ma, I spilt the mudart agin

 -
 
Posted by csk (Member # 1941) on February 20, 2005, 01:29:
 
Hehe, Capn. Not only do I recognise that picture, but I vaguely remember the origins of it etc.
 
Posted by Cap'n Vic (Member # 1477) on February 20, 2005, 09:15:
 
Everything you ever wanted to know about Mustard man but were afraid to ask.
 
Posted by dragonman97 (Member # 780) on February 20, 2005, 12:24:
 
So in a quirky twist of fate, I did see them last night/this morning*:
 -

Doesn't do anything for me. I'd like it a lot more without the fabric - the length of it looks rather peculiar.

*Not my best picture of it, and I didn't even take a whole lot of post-processing time on that.
 
Posted by SupportGoddess (Member # 822) on February 27, 2005, 04:43:
 
My pictures didn't come out as well as Dragonman's - even with the maximum exposure time I can set my camera for.
 -
 -

My personal opinion is that given the number of people sleeping on streets in NYC and the number of children there going to bed hungry, spending $20 million dollars on that should be criminal. If anything, it uglifies the park. The real "art" involved is getting someone to pay that much for construction site leftovers.
 
Posted by nekomatic (Member # 376) on February 28, 2005, 04:58:
 
RTFFAQ...

"As Christo and Jeanne-Claude have always done for their previous projects, The Gates is entirely financed by the artists through their C.V.J. Corp, (Jeanne-Claude Javacheff, President) with the sale of preparatory studies, drawings, collages, and scale models, earlier works of the fifties and sixties, and original lithographs on other subjects.
...
Christo and Jeanne-Claude have donated the merchandising rights to the charitable foundation NNYN (Nurture New York’s Nature and the Arts) who are sharing the proceeds with The Central Park Conservancy."
 
Posted by drunkennewfiemidget (Member # 2814) on February 28, 2005, 06:13:
 
quote:
Originally posted by nekomatic:
RTFFAQ...

"As Christo and Jeanne-Claude have always done for their previous projects, The Gates is entirely financed by the artists through their C.V.J. Corp, (Jeanne-Claude Javacheff, President) with the sale of preparatory studies, drawings, collages, and scale models, earlier works of the fifties and sixties, and original lithographs on other subjects.
...
Christo and Jeanne-Claude have donated the merchandising rights to the charitable foundation NNYN (Nurture New York’s Nature and the Arts) who are sharing the proceeds with The Central Park Conservancy."

I remember hearing about that on Conan, but I wasn't sure as to the details, so I kept my mouth shut....
 
Posted by SupportGoddess (Member # 822) on March 05, 2005, 05:23:
 
From today's NYT: Enough About 'Gates' as Art; Let's Talk About That Price Tag.
 


© 2018 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0