homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums


Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Rants, Raves, Rumors!   » Holidays coming sooner & sooner every year!

 - UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Holidays coming sooner & sooner every year!
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
4
Icon 2 posted August 28, 2004 19:16      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is up with the retail world pushing the holidays sooner and sooner? I went to the grocery store today and they already have Halloween candy out! [shake head]
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
csk

Member # 1941

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 04:16      Profile for csk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
What is up with the retail world pushing the holidays sooner and sooner? I went to the grocery store today and they already have Halloween candy out! [shake head]

You think that's bad, over here the Christmas decorations will be out soon (we don't have "Thanksgiving" as a intermediate holiday, so it's fair game anytime from about next month on)

--------------------
6 weeks to go!

Posts: 4455 | From: Sydney, Australia | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 06:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey man, I live for the holidays... to be over.

And if you think about it they all have gotten a lot more costly in recent years. My wife and I will go around about X-mas. Maybe it is because I grew up poor, but I remember just getting a gift from my folks and having really good meal with the rest of my family. And that was the whole holiday.

Now, it seems like you are not doing it right if you don't spend a Franklin on each person you know. And so now comes the time for us to begin depleting our savings for the "holiday of giving." [cry baby]

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 12:42      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This year, for the first time ever, I've started my Christmas shopping early.. that way, I can buy bit by bit up until December, and not have to drain my bank account like I have in the past just for Christmas.

My intentions are to have christmas shopping completely finished by Dec 1 this year.

Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 13:59      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I much prefer that people have a fuss made of them on their birthday, consequently I never spend anything much on Xmas stuff, maybe the equivalent of $10 per person, but do dig deep for birthdays.

It's hardly surprising that christmas isn't what it used to be when they start putting the decorations up in the second week of November

Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 14:10      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or you may have the misfortune to have a retailer in your area that has a yearly "Christmas in July" sale. [Mad] There's a furniture store that does it every year and it gets on my nerves to hear Ho! Ho! Ho! in the middle of summer. [devil wand]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 14:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Or you may have the misfortune to have a retailer in your area that has a yearly "Christmas in July" sale. [Mad] There's a furniture store that does it every year and it gets on my nerves to hear Ho! Ho! Ho! in the middle of summer. [devil wand]

Of course, for that very reason, we celebrate Xmas on 25 June here in Australia.

/me wanders off to buy some Easter Eggs......

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 15:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Or you may have the misfortune to have a retailer in your area that has a yearly "Christmas in July" sale. [Mad] There's a furniture store that does it every year and it gets on my nerves to hear Ho! Ho! Ho! in the middle of summer. [devil wand]

Of course, for that very reason, we celebrate Xmas on 25 June here in Australia.

/me wanders off to buy some Easter Eggs......

Of couse, it's actually 30 Nov 04 there right now, correct? [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 17:24      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:
Or you may have the misfortune to have a retailer in your area that has a yearly "Christmas in July" sale. [Mad] There's a furniture store that does it every year and it gets on my nerves to hear Ho! Ho! Ho! in the middle of summer. [devil wand]

Of course, for that very reason, we celebrate Xmas on 25 June here in Australia.

/me wanders off to buy some Easter Eggs......

Of couse, it's actually 30 Nov 04 there right now, correct? [Wink]
Don't be silly, we only have 30 November in a leap year. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 19:16      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
muahah
it's so much easier when you're Jewish. If you don't want to give someone a gift, you don't, and say that gift giving is a bad idea, set up by the Catholic church to destroy Judaisim

[Smile]

Posts: 3764 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted August 29, 2004 21:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
muahah
it's so much easier when you're Jewish. If you don't want to give someone a gift, you don't, and say that gift giving is a bad idea, set up by the Catholic church to destroy Judaisim

[Smile]

You don't have to be jewish, and I have an even shorter explanation for my lack of gift giving.

"Xmas? Bah ! Humbug !"

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tut-an-Geek

SuperFan!
Member # 1234

Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 04:22      Profile for Tut-an-Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
quote:
Originally posted by Tut-an-Geek:
muahah
it's so much easier when you're Jewish. If you don't want to give someone a gift, you don't, and say that gift giving is a bad idea, set up by the Catholic church to destroy Judaisim

[Smile]

You don't have to be jewish, and I have an even shorter explanation for my lack of gift giving.

"Xmas? Bah ! Humbug !"

:-D
But is the "bah" requisite? [Smile]

Posts: 3764 | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued


Icon 1 posted August 30, 2004 09:04            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by csk:
quote:
Originally posted by Bibo:
What is up with the retail world pushing the holidays sooner and sooner? I went to the grocery store today and they already have Halloween candy out! [shake head]

You think that's bad, over here the Christmas decorations will be out soon (we don't have "Thanksgiving" as a intermediate holiday, so it's fair game anytime from about next month on)
At the local Costco stores, the Christmas merchandise started to appear about a month ago. They don't screw around. [Big Grin]
IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 31, 2004 14:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Christmas stuff is already out at the Sam's club stores here too... but then again there are half a dozen stores within 50 miles of me that sell Christmas stuff all year round, so I'm kinda desensitized to it at this point.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Spoongirl
Uber Geek
Member # 2143

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted September 01, 2004 04:45      Profile for Spoongirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We have advent calenders at the Co-op - on the first of September. [Roll Eyes]

*sigh*

quote:
This year, for the first time ever, I've started my Christmas shopping early.. that way, I can buy bit by bit up until December, and not have to drain my bank account like I have in the past just for Christmas.

My intentions are to have christmas shopping completely finished by Dec 1 this year.

Hehehe, my Mam gets all her Xmas shopping done in the January sales! [Big Grin]

--------------------
"And we will call it... This Land..."

Posts: 901 | From: UK | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
unclefungus
Highlie
Member # 2118

Member Rated:
4
Icon 6 posted September 06, 2004 16:28      Profile for unclefungus   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
they already have Halloween candy out!
Sorry to jump in late, but is there a differnce in regular candy and halloween candy? Besides the organe and black colors added. At Christmas don't they just change the colors to red and green, and the a horrible, vomit inducing set of pastels come around easter time. When really it's all the same candy?

My big thing about the holidays in general is not the advertiseing, but the people who don't like the advertising yet, do nothing about it. No mean to piont fingers here, but I don't buy ANYTHING from advertizers with annoying advertising, The situation has gotten so bad that I now have to turn my radio (no TV), when these commercials come on (Debbie from Sprint can go suck one!).

The point I'm making is that this early advertising seems to happen early every year, and theres always some news report about it or some one says somthing, but it must not be that big of a deal, becuase no one does anything about.

--------------------
Professional software should not have dancing paperclips.

Posts: 613 | From: changes, right now it's Jacksonville or Fayetteville | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged
Twinkle Toes
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1208

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 00:28      Profile for Twinkle Toes   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"A donation has been made in your name to The Human Fund."

[Razz]

Posts: 1617 | From: a membrane near you! | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grey_girl

Member # 2172

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 08:32      Profile for Grey_girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
I much prefer that people have a fuss made of them on their birthday, consequently I never spend anything much on Xmas stuff, maybe the equivalent of $10 per person, but do dig deep for birthdays.

Ok, Allan, my birthday is 12 Feb. [Wink]
Posts: 764 | From: NYC | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged
Allan
SuperFan!
Member # 1717

Member Rated:
5
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 15:40      Profile for Allan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
I much prefer that people have a fuss made of them on their birthday, consequently I never spend anything much on Xmas stuff, maybe the equivalent of $10 per person, but do dig deep for birthdays.

Ok, Allan, my birthday is 12 Feb. [Wink]
So you want me to start saving now?
Posts: 1280 | From: Edinburgh, Scotland / Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
4
Icon 11 posted September 21, 2004 16:36      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whooo hooo,

Welcome geeks to the never ending advance of consumerist/capitalist society. Don't knock too much though - without it the hardware/software/infrastructure we love wouldn't exist...

BUT - yo it do truly fsck me off to find Xmas decs being pushed before we've even had All Saint's Eve (Yes, OK as a UK moaning semi neo pagan/agnostic/mediaevalist) I am being "Bolshi"... Or Guy Fawkes.... (or Equinox or Walpurgis or...) <Joke> Join the Greek Orthodoxy and get all your Xmas presents in the January sales! </Joke>

"When I were a lad..." Didn't seem to happen like that (but then again I sure seem to remember my parents & grandparents moaning about it. Perhaps it is just a symptom of age? Just like six weeks school holiday seemed to last forever when I was 9 and now six weeks is just a blink? (PS I am 41 - maybe "old" but certainly not decrepit...)

Many years ago my father asked a neighour on his 80th birthday - "How does it feel to be 80" the reply was (apparently) "same as 18 but time goes by faster and you get tired quicker..." My Dad is now 70 himself and I think he would probably concur...

To quote Ebeneezer Scrooge "Ba! Humbug!" but that doesn't stop my bank account vapourising just before the end of December... [Smile]

Just remeber this "We'll laugh about this next week - so why not laugh about it now?" (Old printer's saying - at least wherever I've worked anyhow. AKA "never time to do it, always time to redo it when it's wrong..."

Serenak

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
4
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2004 19:53      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
quote:
Originally posted by Grey_girl:
quote:
Originally posted by Allan:
I much prefer that people have a fuss made of them on their birthday, consequently I never spend anything much on Xmas stuff, maybe the equivalent of $10 per person, but do dig deep for birthdays.

Ok, Allan, my birthday is 12 Feb. [Wink]
So you want me to start saving now?
Yeah, because it seems like it comes earlier and earlier each year. [Wink]
Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
knightwhosaysNI
Geek
Member # 2079

Member Rated:
3
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2004 06:11      Profile for knightwhosaysNI     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
that is one of the reasons I thought about converting to Jehova witnesses, but I can't do that door to door stuff (i'm too shy anyway)

I looked into cryogenic freezing and Had a conversation with the sales clerk

Clerk: if you freeze yourself, you could be re-animated useing futer technologys
me:yes, but what if I just want to be frozen for the holidays?
Clerk: huh?
me:yeah, don't you have a 3 month rental period or something, I'm too cheap to buy my family presents this year and I want to avoid them
Clerk: Uhh, you can't freeze yourself for a 3 month period, it's permanent.
me: I thought you said I'd be re-animated
Clerk: STOP IT! ARRRRGG! *rants about family life and other stuff*

--------------------
Eating Tv dinners sitting by the pool
arent' you glad we finished school?

Posts: 176 | From: forest with trees | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
4
Icon 10 posted September 22, 2004 17:02      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ho ho ho - duoff douff douff (sound of heavy stick hitting big fat man)

Ha ha ha who's got all the presents now?

Actually I'd rather be frozen for the hottest 3 months of the year, or maybe the Jan-Mar "manky`' period, or maybe the horrid "pre xmas" wind up or...

Aw hell I just can't decide... Perhaps I should be frozen and just come out for birthdays/Xmas Day/a week in the sun - but somehow I can't see how I'm gonna get that to work cash wise [Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged


All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture

Powered by Infopop Corporation
UBB.classicTM 6.4.0



homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam