homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I shit you not...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I shit you not...
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 07:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You may remember a few months ago I was impressed when Druidling V2.0f was using an electron microscope at school (she's 14).

Well, this evening, over the dinner table I innocently asked her what she did at school today...
Stem Cells!
I shit you not.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted November 06, 2014 14:48      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Eek!] [Eek!] [Eek!]

[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2014 22:52      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Badass! [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 08:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Personal opinion mine only. I believe that children are affected by what they see as their parents or care givers interests.

Lots of science, the child becomes a science sponge.

Fashion, Clothes horse.

Lots of setting in front of Television, Couch potato.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 15:56      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan, I'm sure parents have an influence, but only at the margins.

Druidling V2.0f is the one who asked to have her 8th birthday party at the science museum and planetarium. Even before she could walk, she would seek out TVs, stereos, etc and push all the buttons, just to see what would happen.

Druidling V1.0f, who grew up with the same geeky dad, never showed any such inclination.

Bottom line: we are who we are.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2014 21:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course, it's still important that you recognized it, and let her pursue it. Some miserable folks would discourage that because "that's not what the popular kids do" or "don't you want to be a prom queen like Mommy was?" (And I know some folks who turned out well enough in spite of receiving such nonsense...but I'm certain some people would just give in.) That, and it's become a lot cooler (or at least more acceptable) to be a geek these days. Back in my day (*groan*), being interested in math/science was not exactly a fine way to win friends (though it makes one rather value the good ones).

Anyway, a job well done!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture