homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Redneck Stir Fry

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Redneck Stir Fry
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 02, 2013 20:48      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1 can yellow hominy, drained and rinsed.
1/2 onion, diced.
1/2 green pepper, diced.
2 ounces polish sausage, diced (or a vegan substitute)
A small pat of butter (2 tsp, maybe)
Black pepper and garlic powder to taste.

Melt the butter in the pan over medium heat. Everything else goes in once the butter is melted. Stir and toss continuously until the onion and pepper are soft. The hominy should lose some moisture and become smaller and a little chewier, too.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted January 03, 2013 00:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had to google hominy, I've never heard of it!
Posts: 7836 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2013 06:29      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy I had grits twice, first and last times in one serving. Why some people take good corn and make it unpalatable is beyond me.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2013 12:32      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Snaggy I had grits twice, first and last times in one serving. Why some people take good corn and make it unpalatable is beyond me.

not dying of pellagra is a good enough reason.
 -

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted January 03, 2013 18:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1) Grits and hominy aren't made with corn that anyone would consider good. What you buy in the store is sweet corn which is tender and (as the name implies) sweet. What grits and hominy are made from is field corn, which is neither tender nor sweet. In its natural form, nobody would eat field corn because it doesn't taste much better than the stalk it came from.

2) Grits and hominy aren't remotely similar. Saying you won't eat one because you tried the other makes no sense whatsoever.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 03, 2013 19:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas Field corn that is picked early August or late July and is still high in moisture is very palatable. Wait until Sept, now you have hog and cattle feed. I agree that the sugar content is not as high as sweet corn, but it is quite edible.

Just for giggles this year at various times I grabbed some of our Soy and ate it right out of the field. No taste just chewy, not at all tasty like other beans.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.