homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Dang I miss forums...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Dang I miss forums...
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 02, 2012 23:56      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Have the glory days of forums dissolved forever? I remember, not long ago in cosmic time, when one could scour the web and find dozens of forums bristling with activity... did social media kill the forum star?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 00:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh...not being much of a 'social media' consumer, I never quite thought about it like that, but there's probably quite likely. It may also be that with more and more 'apps,' and social media, people just have so much 'stuff to do' that something falls by the wayside.

But we still like you. [Razz]
(The collective Internets that I'm channeling through my web browser anyway. YMMV.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 01:12      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For me, social media was why I stopped hanging out here as much. I met many lovely people here (even a few in person!) but Livejournal offered larger groups for discussing my specific interests, and then other people I knew moved to Facebook, and I slowly started to make online friends in new ways. Ironically, now that everyone has moved to Facebook I've found out that its a really lousy place for making new friends! C'est la vie.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 03:25      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I check here daily! However I am a victim of social media.

I chime in here when there is something I can contribute to, sometimes I even start a thread!

I try!

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 13:30      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I check in here daily as well, but I don't feel creative enough to kickstart new discussions. I use the Facebook sparingly, mostly to keep track of the clublets and whatever drama they might be dragged into. I like it here better because it feels more like a cozy living room compared to the cafeteria atmosphere of Facebook. I'm fairly introverted, so YMMV in that regard.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 14:02      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Me thinks forums ebb and flow much like rivers, as they get wide the speed drops then narrows cause speed ups. Also people change over years and their interests go along for the ride.

Politics here seems to have taken a very back seat once certain people stopped posting, or got off the bus.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 03, 2012 16:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep coming back here hoping that Snupes will show up again one day ... [Frown]

Nah, weez on FB, where she bombards me with animal pictures on a daily basis. [Razz]

I know I shouldn't, but FB has me addicted. It's almost like I have real friends.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2012 18:58      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with dman's assessment. I think we're just too bombarded with smartphones combined with Social Networking. What we need is a Geek Culture Forums App!!!

I, too, have been Zuck'd in (sorry) by the Facebook vortex; so much so that it's actually become habitual. When I click open Firefox or open a new tab, my fingers seem to automagically type "F down-arrow enter." It's actually kind of a problem...

I miss the thriving days of this forum, there were (are?) a lot of good people here. Facebook, though, lets you get your idea out to more people in one fell swoop. The tradeoffs for that... let's call it a convenience... is that the ideas you post on facebook are usually short synopsis rather than a full thought and the general Signal-to-noise ratio is so amazingly greater because *EVERYBODY* is posting their short snippets of ideas.

A forum requires a certain "critical mass" of posts to be self-maintaining. Perhaps if we all made an effort to bring our thoughts and ideas back to the forums rather than facebook; and perhaps if we all had something to say and said it completely and thoroughly rather than posting short pieces of thought; and perhaps if we went back to our netiquette roots and eschewed the "me too" culture that the Facebook Like creates.... Perhaps *then* we could once again have a decent conversation with intelligent people...

Ah screw it, writing this much is too hard, were's the Like button? [Razz]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 04, 2012 19:25      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe some should unfriend the like button

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 05, 2012 13:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
no app yet, but I do keep a bookmark on my home screen. :-)

-

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture