homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » pictograms

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: pictograms
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been thinking for a long time, how much longer will the ubiqutous 3.5 inch floppy be used in software programs to depict the action of savign for buttons. It has been a decade since I have used a 3.5 inch floppy.

Today, I realized we may be with it forever. Why. well because my car needs oil.

really. that is why , sort of.

my car needs oil and the oil light came on.

The oil light is a pictogram of an oil lamp, like the ones they used in mesopatamia 3000 years ago.

If that means oil today.

2 millenia in the future, the 3.5 inch floppy may still mean save information.

even if it is a pictogram that pops up in your brain computer.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 19:53      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, I wonder how many yungins take a look at that symbol and say "what's that?"

Any yungins around?

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2011 20:19      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, what else would you use to symbolize saving something?

I mean, really...what imagery comes to mind?
(A floppy may not /really/ mean "Save" as you needed one to open files as well years ago, but it was close enough.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9220 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 20, 2011 03:34      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, pictograms have a way of persisting long after the original is obsolete.

An hourglass is still used (on some primitive OS's) to mean 'waiting'.

And how long has it been since changing the settings of something involved working with a tangle of interlocking gears?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.