homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Motorcycles

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Motorcycles
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2011 14:55      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Since I've not posted a new topic for a while, here is one for you all. I have moved to the capital and cannot afford to live close enough to work, so I have a big commute. The tube is horrid, and car parking is not an option, but I get a free bike permit so I have been riding a 125 cc bike to work for the last few months.

My final test is on Friday (I have passed 3 already). I seem to think there are some bikers on these forums. Any recently qualified UK bikers got any advice for module 2?

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2011 11:58      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
littlefish__ I have been riding for forty years, My State Mi. is going to the graduated licensing like Europe. After listening to friends dis-scribing the new road tests I believe I would fail. That said just do not get too worried, the worst that could happen is to need a retest.

Here in Mi. no longer can daddy go into a dealership and buy sonny-boy a monster machine and let him go kill himself. If there is an off road area that you can goto, to find out how the bike really handles, the experience is valuable and will enhance your road skills, who knows you may have to go off road some day to avoid some fool in a car. (Damn Cagers)

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2011 20:55      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry on the wrong continent for tips. Just wish you good luck when you take it.

And have fun on two wheels, it is a blast!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 07:06      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I passed!

L-plates come off tomorrow, and I can now ride a bigger bike (up to 33 bhp), although I don't think I'll bother. After two years I can then ride whatever size I want, or I can re-take the tests on a larger bike before then.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 17:23      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congratulations, no longer having to have the L tag.

Watch out for the cagers.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5836 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2011 18:58      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats, indeed! Please keep all your limbs intact and be watchful of others around you. [Smile]

Thanks also, for enlightening me to the origins of the L-tag on b3ta. I sort of thought that to be a novel idea (they prepend a red L icon to users in their first week), and now I see they were following local sensibilities. That makes a wee bit more sense. Cheers!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2012 16:18      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zombie thread: back from the dead

Today I managed to kill my bike. I dropped it onto the steering lock with engine stopped and now I can not start the bugger.

I can't find a decent manual for the bike and, I do not even know whether to call a locksmith or a mechanic.

Any help welcome. I had the worst trip home today.

fwiw, it is a cbf 125 and i am sure it can be cured by slightly bending the right bracket, but I don't know which bit to bend.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2012 05:49      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Littlefish

Questions

A: Can you steer the fork?

B: Can you turn the lock with the key?

C: Do the lights come on as you turn the lock?

D: Have you checked the kill switch?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2012 13:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fixed it! Thank $DEITY for WD-40.

The steering lock was jammed, stopping me from turning the key. It now seems nice and smooth, although I'll be keeping an eye on it.

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2012 14:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WD-40 is great stuff I keep a spray can on each tractor. then one or two in the barn.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture