homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Burlighton VT

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Burlighton VT
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted July 28, 2011 05:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody ever been there. I haven't. heard it was nice.

I am quitting my job, moving to VT, and am going to be an unemployed bum in VT for the next couple years.

so excited,

so scared to choose to be unemployed.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted July 28, 2011 06:19      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh cool! I've been on the other side of Lake Champlain, and it is really nice there. Gorgeous.

Plus you are super close to Montreal, which is one great city!

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 04:44      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
??

I thought you just got citizenship in Switzerland?

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 06:05      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I did, just mixing things up a bit before my daughte is in school and i can't just move 10,000km to somewhere i have never been before.

i'll move back to europe before my daughter starts school.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 09:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
I did, just mixing things up a bit before my daughte is in school and i can't just move 10,000km to somewhere i have never been before.

Um...I'm tres confused. Are you saying you're 'trying Burlington on for size,' before moving there at a later date/time?

Well, I hope you have fun -- and I'll take Snaggy's word for the proximity to Montreal, which I can definitely say is a grand city. [Big Grin]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 09:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:

Um...I'm tres confused. Are you saying you're 'trying Burlington on for size,' before moving there at a later date/time?

Well, I hope you have fun -- and I'll take Snaggy's word for the proximity to Montreal, which I can definitely say is a grand city. [Big Grin]

NO, I quit my job, My wife has accepted a job there, and I am moving there in October, for a few years.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 10:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Considering the economy and the state of our political system, I'm not sure whether to welcome you back to the USA or express my condolences. Both, maybe.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 10:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the good news is, by October your Swiss Francs will buy *a lot* of US dollars.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 10:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
NO, I quit my job, My wife has accepted a job there, and I am moving there in October, for a few years.
Oh...I think I've pieced things together now.

To rephrase:
You're moving to VT in October and going to be a stay-at-home dad until your daughter is of age to attend school in Europe.

Momentarily forgetting that your daughter is quite young, I took 'until she goes to school' to mean 'September,' and hence considered your stay in VT an opportunity to get familiar with it in expectation of moving there someday for completely random reasons. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 29, 2011 15:35      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like a great adventure. Good luck and may you enjoy every moment of it.
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 08:50      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I found a house I want to rent in Burlington.

stupid credit ratings

So paying off $20,000 in college loans and a $13,000 car loan without ever missing a payment doesn't quaify one for a good credit rating...

...or at least it is not enough to rent a house for $1600 a month My credit report is all green.
They told me my credit score wasn't good enough
to rent the house.

I don't have a good credit score because I don't have credit cards and becaue I have paid cash for my last three cars instead of getting loans.

Because of this I am a risk to rent to.

They would much rather have someone who buys stuff on credit all the time I guess.

p.s.

and by they I mean Hickok and Boardman in Burlington VT.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted August 08, 2011 09:51      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
bummer. That must be frustrating.

Have you offered a larger deposit?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 08, 2011 10:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash: This was in the Times recently:
http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/17/realestate/prospective-renters-have-much-to-prove-to-landlords.html

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture