homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Mi vida aburrido.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Mi vida aburrido.
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 18, 2011 07:48      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the best part of the Geek Culture forums is that I can ramble on at great length and for some reason you folks tolerate it. There is no similar equivalent in the "Web 2.0" world of social networking.

Anyway... I took a 13-day vacation recently and had a great time. I got out of work on July 3rd at 6PM, ran down to my office, changed out of my dress clothes into my shorts and flip-flops and jumped in my bus and drove like crazy to Stevensville, Michigan where I met my friends in the Meijer parking lot. I averaged 77 miles per hour and made the trip in 2 hours and 15 minutes, with my foot flat on the floor. I rounded up the guys, all 8 of us, and we headed to the teeny town of Baroda for the fireworks show. The show was fun, and the whole night was fun. We wound up at Steak 'n Shake before the night was over; I got to my parents' place at 5:45AM after a great night of fun.

-
"What do you mean 'public intoxication?'" [Smile]

I had more great and fun times the week of July 3 - July 7. On July 8, I drove north to Harbor Springs, MI to attend the 31st annual Blissfest. It was a great time, I camped at the festival with my brother, sister-in-law, his two boys, and my sister's daughter. We all had a great time and I got to *ahem* truly unwind and relax. I stayed up jamming with the "happy campers" all night long and slept in and saw shows and hung out at the drum kiva and ... and... just had a great time. It was just so freaking awesome.

I went back to Southwest Michigan on July 11th and spent another week there. After Blissfest I was really relaxed and unwound. The music scene at Bliss was deeply healing and I "took my bliss" back with me. It was great. I spent that week spending good quality time with my friends, I spent good time with my long-beloved Lake Michigan, and I had a truly relaxing and stress-free week. Even when the speedometer cable on the bus broke I didn't worry; even when the shock absorber mount broke I didn't worry; I just went about fixing them.

Then it happened. July 16th came and I had to be back at work early on the 17th. The time had come for me to trek back home. I stalled, I dragged my feet, I didn't want to go back. I sat at my parents' kitchen table, slumped, just sitting there. Everything was packed, everything was ready to go, except me. Dad put it in the plainest way possible: "you don't want to go back, do you?"

And he was right. I didn't want to come home. The drive home was nice, I always enjoy a good drive; but I knew that at the end of that drive was my real life. Real life, with real responsibilities. The end of my two weeks of amazing, care-free, unabashed, unfettered fun; late nights and sleeping until noon.

And so now I'm back to my normal life, my "real" life, my boring life. Mi vida aburrido!

And what is so different about my "normal" life? Why is it so boring? I think I've figured it out. I don't have any friends here. When I'm back in SW Michigan, I'm always hanging out with people; there's always someone to hang with; even if we just get together and talk about the philosophy of life or whatever. It's all about face-to-face interaction!

When I'm here, in my normal life, I sit online all day. I check facebook 10-20 times a day. I'm bored, I seek companionship. The Internet, via facebook, IRC, the GC forums, and IM provides a facsimile of human interaction; but I have grown to see that IT IS NO SUBSTITUTE for the real thing!

And so how do I incorporate that into my "real" life? I don't know how. I live on the perpetual edge of bankruptcy; I can't afford to go out every night.

Just getting by isn't good enough for me anymore. [Frown]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Indigo
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 40495

Rate Member
Icon 7 posted August 12, 2011 17:48      Profile for Indigo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have been working on widening my IRL social circle. I joined a Science Fiction book group about a year ago that I really like. It gives me the opportunity to meet new people who share similar interests.

I am pretty shy so it took me a while to initiate friendships. I just recently started socializing with some of the members outside of the book group.

I also recently joined a couple of Meetup groups thinking this would be a good way to meet new friends. I went on a walking tour downtown with one of the groups last Saturday and had fun even though most of the people in the group were closer to my parents age than my own.

Meetup Homepage

Posts: 2 | From: Portland, OR | Registered: Aug 2011  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2011 01:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indigo,

A friend of mine joined with a group up your way called the Portland Geek Council. Not sure, but it at least appears that they also have some more social events. It could be worth checking out.

Link

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture