homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » US embassy rant

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: US embassy rant
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 21:54      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I am in the process of getting my daughter declared a US citzen ( as I am one).

Now I know that most government agencies are staffed by people who would be better serve their country by staynig home and living off of unemployement but embassies are the worst. They are exempt from the equal opportunities laws. They hire a)teh spouses of the guards or b) friends of people in power as a thank you ( yes even B.O. does this.)

So at first I, even though I never left the US until I was 23, could convince them that I lived inside the US for more than 5 years. ( I lived with my parents as a child, imagine that, and therefore didn't have any untilities bills or rental agreements to prove I was in the country. I sent them my highschool and college transcripts, with cover 8 years, but it is thier policy to only count 7 months out of each school year as I could technically leave the country durign every recess ( even thoguh I didn't have a passport). FYI 8 years x 7/12 < 5. doh.

I finally got that problem solved and now I have e new one. I sent the application in a couple months back, with the required photos. The embassy is now complaining that the photo, which will be in my daughters US passport until she is 10, is too old and they need a new one. You see, a two month old baby looks much different than a 5 month old baby. ( as opposed to teh difference between a five month old baby and a 9 year old girl or a 2 month old baby and the 9 year old girl.

well this problem can be easiliy solved, just take her to get new pictures, but, because there are so many requirements for passport pictures it'll cost me over 100 CHf more jsut for the new photos. At least with the current rock bottom value of the US dollar agaist teh frank the fees will be about half of what they would have been a few years back ( as I can pay the fees in very cheap US dollars).

ps
Reading my post it scares me that I am the go to guy for english grammar in my office.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2011 23:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
Now I know that most government agencies are staffed by people who would be better serve their country by staynig home and living off of unemployement but ambasies are teh worst

Yup, you got that right.

Pro tip: check every 'rule' they tell you about against the State Department web site. If you can't find it, demand the counter-droid show you in writing where the 'rule' comes from.

I still get angry thinking about the guy who kept trying to send Mrs Druid back to Australia, because there was a rule that the visa she needed could only be applied for in ones home country. He assured me that he'd sent many people back to their home countries because of that rule.

If I hadn't previously discussed the issue with two other embassies, I might not have known that **the rule didn't bloody exist**!

I now understand why embassy staff typically stand behind bulletproof glass windows.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 12 posted July 13, 2011 01:19      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, to be fair, Switzerland is known for its radical extremist position with regards to wars. If they'd fall in line with all the other countries, maybe we wouldn't be so worried about the Swiss trying to make anchor babies and we could loosen up those immigration laws a bit.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 16:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But the Swiss do make good cheap furniture, and Volvos.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 20:58      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
But the Swiss do make good cheap furniture, and Volvos.

Thank you for the compliments, May I compliment your countries' many fine attributes as well; such as Wienerschnitzel, Stroh 80 and Tirol is just loveley.

And druids are cool too, especially that mel gibson movie about the druids fighting the English. I love Ireland, they have such great scotch there.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 13, 2011 23:36      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<sings voice="Julie Andrews">
♫ Oh the hills are alive, with the sound of wombats... ♪
</sings>

--------------------

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 15, 2011 02:08      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I went to teh US embassy in the swiss capitol of Bern and got it over and done with.

It was horrible, undescribeable.

Some nice quotes,
" Oh you can't do that here, you have to do that in Frankfurt" ( Frankfurt is a 5 and a half hour drive away, and they were wrong, we got it done there).

Me:
"Why is my birth certificate showing that I was born in Indiana, and my passport record showing that my first passport was issued to me when I was 23 not proof enough that I lived in the US for five years?"

Them:
"You need to prove that you lived in the US for five years."

Me: "I know" ( I then repeat my question.

Them:
"You need to prove that you lived in the US for five years."

/ at this point I understand the insane security measures taken.

Plus, my five month old daughter, who I had to carry for four hours, and wasn't allowed to bring formula in to feed her* didn't get hungry or cry. I was hoping she would so they would hurry up and call us to get a screaming baby out of the lobby.

technically formula is not forbidden, bags, including diaper bags and strollers are. so in addition to holding your baby, you would have to carry everything in with you in your hands that you would normally have in a diaper bag. I left our diaper bag in our car and carried only a spit up cloth with me. most of her spit and drool ended up on my sleeve anyways.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture