homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Whats worse than people lying to you??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Whats worse than people lying to you??
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 13:41      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When the Gas Gauge Lies!

-

Ran out of gas in a work truck today!! Yay for actually having gas now too, since I filled it up toady for $122.00(USD)! Glad I did not have to pay that bill!

Though on a positive point. I had today positive feedback on the site that I have designed for my current employer. To quote the owner, "Looks Great!".

Check it out if you care.

Heritage Lawn Care LLC

Just what happened to me today!

--------------------
-----------------------------------
Life would be so much easier if we only had the source code.

If brute force doesn't solve your problems, then you aren't using enough.

Posts: 79 | From: Ypsilanti | Registered: Aug 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 14:18      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey...nice job!

Bah humbug to the gas situation, but what are ya gonna do? Assuming it's not your day-to-day vehicle, you probably don't track the miles between fill up, so trusting the gauge ought to be the norm.

The website looks 'modern.' I'd suggest it could use a little more 'height' by way of either content and/or images, but it's definitely 'to the point.' I like it. Best of all, it looks like you didn't get burned by normal site design issues.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 14:22      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
drangonman,

Am working on getting pictures and other elements to add Height to it.

That think has been floating around IRC chat alot since I have been doing this!

--------------------

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 18:53      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had that happen in one of our work vans the other month. Apparently, when they run out of diesel (inc the reserve tank) that's a Bad Thing. Makes you think they might get them serviced and check the fuel gauges work a bit more often.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 18:59      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't comlain about gas unless you are paying more thatn 8 USD per american gallon, the current price here.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 23:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Whats worse? A conservative saying that a tax cut will help the budget. Trickle down works!!!

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 12, 2011 23:23      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whats worse than people lying to you??

Maybe people telling you a truth you don't want to hear ?

Time for smaller greener wheels perhaps Sprocket?

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 03:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My car's gas gauge is not trustworthy below 1/4 of a tank. It'll be on the floor many miles before it's really empty. But my car is an ugly and faithful old beater so a wonky gas gauge is just part of the package.

quote:
Callipygous's article:
Prof. Richard Muller of Berkeley, a physicist who has gotten into the climate skeptic game, has been leading the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, an effort partially financed by none other than the Koch foundation. And climate deniers -- who claim that researchers at NASA and other groups analyzing climate trends have massaged and distorted the data -- had been hoping that the Berkeley project would conclude that global warming is a myth.

Instead, however, Professor Muller reported that his group's preliminary results find a global warming trend ''very similar to that reported by the prior groups.''

ROTFSMPL! Science wins again, sort of. The faithful of the deniers have no doubt discarded Muller as "one of them" now that he has failed to bring them the results they pined for.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sprocket
Mini Geek
Member # 10210

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 12:05      Profile for Sprocket   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

This was a work truck. Going greener is not really an option since we haul heavy equipment like mowers, front end loaders, tractors and the such.

My personal truck when driven properly gets about 23-27 MPG. Though it is a 4cyl 2.3L 5-speed.

Pretty good for an engine not designed to be in a truck!

--------------------

Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 13:00      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:
Callipygous's article:
Prof. Richard Muller of Berkeley, a physicist who has gotten into the climate skeptic game, has been leading the Berkeley Earth Surface Temperature project, an effort partially financed by none other than the Koch foundation. And climate deniers -- who claim that researchers at NASA and other groups analyzing climate trends have massaged and distorted the data -- had been hoping that the Berkeley project would conclude that global warming is a myth.

Instead, however, Professor Muller reported that his group's preliminary results find a global warming trend ''very similar to that reported by the prior groups.''

ROTFSMPL! Science wins again, sort of. The faithful of the deniers have no doubt discarded Muller as "one of them" now that he has failed to bring them the results they pined for.
Of course - they are just so predictable!

(from further on in Prof Krugman's article)
quote:
Just a few weeks ago Anthony Watts, who runs a prominent climate denialist Web site, praised the Berkeley project and piously declared himself ''prepared to accept whatever result they produce, even if it proves my premise wrong.'' But never mind: once he knew that Professor Muller was going to present those preliminary results, Mr. Watts dismissed the hearing as ''post normal science political theater.'' And one of the regular contributors on his site dismissed Professor Muller as ''a man driven by a very serious agenda.''

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 19:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sprocket:
quote:
Originally posted by Callipygous:

This was a work truck. Going greener is not really an option since we haul heavy equipment like mowers, front end loaders, tractors and the such.

I disagree, the turbocharged diesels from VW (TDI) are incredibly efficient (and clean). Put them in a ar and you get 60+ pmg, but the bigger ones in trucks still get 30+ mgp. THey just came out with a new work truck the Amoroak, I'm off to see how efficient it is.

i'm back

The huge amorak VW truck gets 7.3 L per 100 km = 32.363 mpg average.

linky, (german)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 13, 2011 22:08      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I have to agree with Ashitaka on this. Shipping companies make money from hauling stuff, they have to buy fuel they do not want to buy very much. Locomotive diesels use very efficient engines, ships also. Linky, Linky

http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine_technology/thermal_efficiency.htm

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 10:06      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Diesels are certainly more efficient than they used to be.

Unfortunately many of these engines are located between the wheel wells of premium vehicles. So maybe it is better to say that Sprocket's company may not have the cash currently to outlay on a fleet highly efficient diesels. Especially considering an old Ford gas guzzler can see some serious mileage before death. And with the general purchase price being relatively low, with a relatively low price tag for service, it is still a viable option.

Though not for too much longer.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 10:53      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:
Unfortunately many of these engines are located between the wheel wells of premium vehicles.

My Hyundai i30 is hardly a 'premium vehicle', and its 1.6 litre turbo diesel sips 4.1 litres/100 km (that's about 69 miles per real gallon, 57 miles per puny merkin gallon) on the highway, urban figures are 5.7/100km ( 50 / 42 mpg).

And we're not talking about a tiny Science Fiction car like the Smart, it's a mid-sized 5-seater family hatchback.

As far as I can tell, Hyundai don't sell their Diesel models in Merkinistan, probably because they're too fuel-efficient for merkin tastes.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 11:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom's talking about what can be had in the US, TFD.

Diesel's more expensive here than gasoline. I'm not sure why. It also has a bad rep as a pollutant, probably because of all those old trucks and buses that belch dark exhaust (nothing quite like a face full of that when biking up a steep hill, lemme tell ya).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 13:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Shroom's talking about what can be had in the US, TFD.

Diesel's more expensive here than gasoline. I'm not sure why. It also has a bad rep as a pollutant, probably because of all those old trucks and buses that belch dark exhaust (nothing quite like a face full of that when biking up a steep hill, lemme tell ya).

Yes, but you're stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation.

Companies like Ford make some very nice (and affordable) diesel cars. The Fiesta Econetic sips 3.2 litres/100km (73 miles/US gallon) but it's not sold in America "because Americans don't buy diesels".

Americans don't buy diesels because diesel has a bad rep.

Diesel has a bad rep because the only diesels most Americans see are huge smoke-belching trucks and buses.

Americans don't see modern, clean diesel cars because companies like Ford don't offer them for sale....

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 15:08      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
Yes, but you're stuck in a chicken-and-egg situation.

You are entirely correct of course on this one.

And I was talking about what can be found here in a US stand point. VW, Mercedes, Volvo, etc. do sell diesel sedans here, but they have a higher price tag than a comparable gasoline engine.

Even truck diesels come at a higher price point. And they are not exactly screaming with efficiency in mind. Part of it is the relatively cheap gas prices that can be had. And another part of it is what many diesel owners use their trucks for.

Then there are EPA concerns. Not sure why, but diesel cars are held to a much stricter standard that an equivalent gasoline engine. Or at least I remember reading something to this effect I think when there was talk about bringing Ford's diesel Focus stateside.

It will be a matter of time before we see this change, but I am pretty sure it will be coming. Just not sure if diesel will do anything for us by then, mainly because the prices have remained consistent with gasoline prices recently. And for a country that spends time on the road like we do, the future of motoring here is really looking bleak.

Makes me glad nothing I own goes over 2.3 liters.

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 14, 2011 21:42      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Diesels are sold in the USA, Kubota, and Yanmar make very good tractor and marine supercharged diesels. Many of my friends with sail boats have engines taken out of VW rabbits. Insurance costs on a boat go way down when you take gasoline out of the boat.

____ There are two diesel blends of fuel, one lower in sulfur (OFF ROAD DIESEL) and clean EPA rated for on road. The (ORD) has more BTUs and gives) better millage but is not allowed for highway use. AGCO makes a very fuel efficient farm tractor in the 250HP class, it even has a CVT.

____ Most of the car companies seem to take the attitude if thats what they want we'll sell it.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2011 04:06      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ Most of the car companies seem to take the attitude if thats what they want we'll sell it.

And it is that "follow the trend" mentality that got our beloved automakers into such trouble! If the big three were innovators and gave Americans NEW choices, instead of re-branding the same old stuff, we would be much farther ahead and our economy would not be quite as shitty.

I'm not saying that Detroit makes bad cars, but there just have been scarce few revolutions in automotive technology. The modern American automobile is still operating fundamentally on technology that was invented in the 1860s, there have been refinements in the design, for sure, and machining has gotten better so tolerances are lower, etc. etc. But, we are still hung up on the 4-stroke internal combustion engine, 150 year old technology!

...but I digress... (frequently)

It all comes down to advertising. Americans will believe anything they see on TV, so if the auto companies really wanted to sell us smaller, more efficient (even Diesel) cars, they just need to put more ads for them on TV.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 01:09      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Diesel's more expensive here than gasoline.

I think that's the case in most places, though the fuel economy, lower insurance group and emissions tax breaks in the UK at least are supposed to make up for it (verses the higher cost of servicing - it actually isn't that much of a difference with most diesels!).
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 18, 2011 01:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ If Propane were cheaper I would switch over to that as it burns cleaner and does not have summer or winter blends. Diesel on a farm is a nightmare, if I get a storage tank then I have to have a containment moat and an action plan for spills.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

zorgon
Assimilated
Member # 546

Rate Member
Icon 14 posted April 25, 2011 04:47      Profile for zorgon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Europe has had great diesels for a while. The reason diesel price in the states has been going up is because they're gradually reducing the sulfur content, which means European-style great diesels are going to be more practical in the states. Yay.

The big clouds of black smoke from diesels is a result of incomplete combustion. Soot and unburned fuel. It's actually not too bad in terms of the big picture but it's still pollution. More efficient diesels are available (like in Europe) but because they burn hotter they produce more sulfur-based pollutants so you need the low-sulfur fuel that never used to be available here. Or so I have read. [Big Grin]

Posts: 385 | From: Beautiful Uptown Goleta | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture