homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy New Year

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Happy New Year
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 03:16      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_____ Well TFD, Since you will be there first. I Wish you a Happy New Year.

_____ I sure will be glad to get rid of the 2K oughts, and soon we will be facing the Mayan End

_____ Happy New Year Everyone.

___ Ps to TFD I do hope that you are not in the flood plane.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 08:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Figure I'm safe. DM is part Mayan. So I'm hoping for some coverage from the apocalypse as her mom. LOL

Hope you all have a great and safe New Years.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 09:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh yeah...I forgot about TFD's fantastic journeys through time - it's probably the Eve of Easter for him or something. [Razz]

For everyone else who works on 'normal' time, Happy New Year!

I look forward to a year that hopefully sucks less. [Big Grin]
(Save for a great vacation, I can't think of many good things that happened this year. As Mark Fiore put it, this was the year that wasn't. :/)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 10:32      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year to all, and to all a wonderful year! [Smile]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 10:46      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ This is not looking good for TFD.

http://ibnlive.in.com/news/australias-flood-chaos-continues/138900-2.html

http://www.google.com/search?q=Melbourne,+Australia+%2B+floods&hl=en&prmd=ivnsum&source=univ&tbs=nws:1&tbo=u&ei=WxseTYjCEsqAnQeoy8nKDg&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=5&ved=0CEU QqAIwBA

_____ When you have a connection, please let us know how you have faired.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 13:01      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy New Year everyone.

Yes, the floods are bad (an area the size of France and Germany is under water) but they're a long way from here, and Casa Del Druid is on a hilltop, so we'd be safe anyway.

Thanks for your concern.

Who'd be a farmer, eh? 15 years of drought, then up to your arse in water.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 20:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I read in one of Jared Diamond's books that intensive agriculture in Australia was one of the worst ideas mankind has ever come up with. And now nature is supplying an illustration of why that is so. Geez. Hang in there. Don't let FEMA export you any trailers - rumor has it those things were thoroughly contaminated with formaldehyde.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 31, 2010 21:25      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I read in one of Jared Diamond's books that intensive agriculture in Australia was one of the worst ideas mankind has ever come up with.

Parts of it, yes.

The main problem is salinity.

Huge irrigation schemes can turn marginal grazing land in the dusty outback into highly productive cotton and rice fields, for a while. Over time the salt from that irrigation water accumulates, (some irrigators use 4 tonnes of water per square metre per year - there's a lot of salt in 4 tonnes of 'fresh water') and you end up with totally dead salt pans.

Fortunately, people aren't entirely clueless.
Well... not all of them anyway.

Lessons have been learned, improved farming and irrigation methods are being adopted, and some salt-degraded areas have been rehabilitated, but there are vested interests who have done very well from raping the land, and resist the call to change.

These floods will probably buy some time there, a lot of the salt that's accumulated during the drought will be flushed into the ocean.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2011 17:09      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*sigh* another milestone missed...

-

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2011 18:01      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ That is true most places where ground (well water) is used for irrigation. Just too many dissolved solids, Our water is just under 350 PPM for solids, We filter with a Reverse Osmosis Filter for the drinking and cooking water. Water is pretty close to the universal solvent. I keep telling the Mrs to use the drinking water for her house plants.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture