homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Define your life!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Define your life!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 09:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, I'm bored and reading Aaron Williams' latest journal (he usually has interesting links) and I see this:
"Find the nearest book, turn to page 73, second paragraph, third sentence down. This sentence WILL DEFINE YOUR LIFE."

How could I not? (I said I was bored)

The nearest book, however, is a generic Dell product information guide that came with my work laptop. Not a good start.

Page 73... oh boy... we've skipped over the English chapter and we're on the last page of the French chapter.

Débarrassez-vous de la batterie usagée selon les instructions du fabricant ou contactez le service municipal de traitement des déchets afin de connaître les instructions de mise au rebut.

Translated, that means "Dispose of used batteries according to manufacturer's instructions or contact the municipal waste treatment in order to know the instructions for disposal."

Umm... [Confused]

It was, however, next to this symbol:

-

Maybe the real message here is that I shouldn't throw my life away and waste time on stupid things like this?

Nevertheless... let's hear what everyone else's results are. C'mon... you know you want to do it. I can't be the only one bored out of his skull.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 10:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The first book in grabbing range that's not a lab notebook is my labmate's copy of The Art of Electronics.

"The output voltage range over which a current source behaves well is called its output compliance."

Um...yeah...

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 10:19      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hum. Well, I happen to have a novel on my desk at work from when I had the elder Clublet here over the summer. Body of Lies, by Iris Johansen. The second *full* paragraph on page 73 is only one sentence long. That's a problem. I guess that means my life is empty.

Or, improvising, the previous paragraph (which is number two if you count the partial paragraph above) does have a healthy bag of sentences. The third there is, "Well, let him be suspicious." Sounds like something I might find in a Chinese fortune cookie [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1739 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 12:39      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My nearest book is a dictionary ( arabic / english), and has two page 73's ( as arbic books are read right to left, they meet in the middle at pages 185/239).

Anyways, the second paragraphs on pages 73* is hyacinth (english to arabic) and party (arabic to english).

Does anyone know if "pages 73" is gramatically correct?

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 13:26      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Jerusalem Bible printed by Doubleday press, copyright 1985.

Page 73 is Genesis 46, paragraph 2 is verses 6-8.

The third sentence is: "These were the names of the Israelites, Jacob and his descendants, who arrived in Egypt:"

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 13:33      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok. Bookshelf to my right so going by the distance
from my right shoulder the closest is National
Geographic "The Renaissance, Maker of Modern Man",
Published in 1970. No doubt a staid and scholarly
tome.

"Lorenzo took a dagger thrust in the neck, but
jumped up, wrapped his cloak around his left arm
as a shield, and pulled out his sword."

Well, this changes everything.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 13:55      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nearest 'book' to me is a street directory.

Map 73 is....

...one page away from where I grew up.

Spooky.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 12, 2010 21:02      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i read the directions to j. Closest book was nkjv, exodus 28:16, which somehow connects, b/c j is a mathematics guy.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 13, 2010 09:26      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well...¶ 2 only has 2 sentences, so let's settle for ¶ 3, sentence 1:
"This chapter presents a series of coding practices that can minimize the problems associated with Perl's sometimes over-helpful built-in variables.

Hmmm...I suppose I'll have to ponder that deeply. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 21:45      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The closest book to my desk is the Dictionary of Mathematics Terms. I flipped to page 73, describing Cramer's Rule, and ended on:

a1 x + b1 y + c1 z = k1

There it is, the meaning of my life [Smile]

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 21:47      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Well...¶ 2 only has 2 sentences, so let's settle for ¶ 3, sentence 1:
"This chapter presents a series of coding practices that can minimize the problems associated with Perl's sometimes over-helpful built-in variables.

Hmmm...I suppose I'll have to ponder that deeply. [Razz]

Sounds like you've been given a mission [Smile]
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 06:39      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine was a page of code... I wonder how "#include <iostream>" defines me? Fear not -- I know how to define my life...

code:
#define MY_LIFE MORE_SKIRT_THAN_MARKS_AND_SPENCER 

(quickly followed by
code:
#undef MY_LIFE

, however.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2010 09:38      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Well...¶ 2 only has 2 sentences,

Same here, so I was ready to conclude that I have no life! [Big Grin]

But I prefer your point of view
quote:
so let's settle for ¶ 3, sentence 1:
[/QB]

"Requirements in Context and Low-Level Feature Lists"

Well, it's the next section title, not quite a phrase. Real next phrase would be:

quote:
As implied by the title of the bood Uses Cases: Requirements in Context[GK00], a key motivation of the use case idea is the consideration and oranization of requirements in the context of the goals and scenarios of using a system.
(Heh. My UML book was slightly protruding on my shelf.)

Requirements from goals and scenarios as a way to define a system... probably the most positive thought I got in quite a while! [Geek]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 18, 2010 08:17      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The great typo hunt by Jeff Deck

"I went up to the woman and smiled."

The next sentence is much more interesting, but didn't want to fudge this scientific survey. [Smile]

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 19, 2010 14:22      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK - s o first book I laid hands on in my living room - "The Death of a King" by P.C Docherty (a mediaeval mystery story)

Folio 73 (i.e. the page with 73 printed on it, not the 73rd page in the book) starts with a partial paragraph from previous and has 3 complete paras and a final partial...

So it is either...

"There were stories he was killed to protect certain people in England, not just the Queen Mother"

or

second complete paragraph has no 3rd sentence...

3rd complete para starts..."Tweng, however had not yet finished."

So bollox, [Smile]

and...

"Your all Gay!" because you found more interesting crud than me...

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1936 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2010 08:46      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Clicking OK accepts all the settings and entries in the dialog box."

That is from the OS 9 Bible. I was cleaning out my office.

How about that!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 21:13      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The closest book to me is my copy of Le Petit Prince (yes, the French version).

Page 73 is an illustration with the caption "Et, couché dans l'herbe, il pleura." Which means "And, lying in the grass, he cried."

However, if I follow the instructions by going two paragraphs and three sentences after I turned to page 73, and counting the caption as a paragraph, then I get "Tu deviens responsable pour toujours de ce que tu as apprivoisé." Which means, "You become responsible forever for what you have tamed."

If I have to pick one of them to define my life I think I'd rather have the second.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 23, 2010 21:55      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Geek 2U:
"Clicking OK accepts all the settings and entries in the dialog box."
[...]
How about that!

W.r.t. the topic, I find that spookily similar to something in Stephenson's "In the beginning...was the command line." (I believe it's around the end, and makes an analogy to living with one big mess of 'presets.')

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9331 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture