homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My latest project. (Page 4)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My latest project.
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 03:06      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
(though I do realize that good eating habits are much more difficult to train or re-train than good sterile technique is).

Oh, but I've been trying so hard to teach my husband that sterile =/= clean. It still hasn't sunk in yet, and we've been married 4.5 years. lol

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 04:39      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Oh, but I've been trying so hard to teach my husband that sterile =/= clean. It still hasn't sunk in yet, and we've been married 4.5 years. lol

I've got excellent mental images of your husband scrubbing up before making dinner or after using the toilet...
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 05:59      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As I know the latter is more of what Xanthine is addressing, I'm perplexed by the "=/=" and the inferred definition.

As a programmer, I'm only familiar with == and != as equality operators. What pray tell is "=/=" ?

(As a Perl programmer, I'm regularly* use =~, but that's a different story.)

*[sic/natch =P]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 10:26      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But of course 95% of diets fail when attempted by comfort eaters seeking instant gratification who go back to stuffing themselves with mcd dollar menu specials when they realize it takes more than a week to reach their goals, what else is new? Those people should see a therapist before they attempt anything, otherwise they will end up in a death spiral - try to diet, fail, eat to feel better, try again, rinse, repeat. But it works for those who are willing to try and not get discouraged if they don't get there right away. Keep clicking on all those fa blog ads, the owners are laughing all the way to the bank. What a delusional crowd, you show them a living proof and they respond with some silly fat acceptance blog blabber. Booga booga booga...
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 11:58      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I'm not talking about standard hygiene and good housekeeping. I'm talking about sterile technique. Unless you've got a medical issues or a really severe case of OCD, I can pretty much guarantee you're not going to need or even want to do any of this at home.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 25, 2011 14:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian:
Nobody's opinions are going to change and all you're doing is starting an argument that serves no purpose.

If you really want to see the argument, go over to the topic where we already had it. You'll get to see all the same arguments you're prepared to present and all the responses that you'd get without the wait. Think of it as Tivo for Trolls.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 01:05      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
As a programmer, I'm only familiar with == and != as equality operators. What pray tell is "=/=" ?

I assumed it was a ascii representation of ≠. I have come across a language before which uses /=, though that was some obscure code being used for modelling stresses on continental plates which I can't remember the name of.
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 26, 2011 15:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:

I assumed it was a ascii representation of ≠. I have come across a language before which uses /=, though that was some obscure code being used for modelling stresses on continental plates which I can't remember the name of.
Thanks for explaining, Stibbons. That's what I meant. I'll try to remember the code you used to get that character for the future.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2011 03:44      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GrumpySteen:
zesovietrussian:
Nobody's opinions are going to change and all you're doing is starting an argument that serves no purpose.

If you really want to see the argument, go over to the topic where we already had it. You'll get to see all the same arguments you're prepared to present and all the responses that you'd get without the wait. Think of it as Tivo for Trolls.

Yes, Officer Krupke
He shouldn't be here
This boy don't need a couch
He needs a usefully career
Society's played him a terrible trick
And sociologically he's thick

Also, someone should take a look at any nazi-themed forum, and suddenly she'll come to a realization that 95% of the world's population thinks uncle adolf was a jolly good fella and old man winnie was a murderous thug. A hardcore feminazi forum will tell us 95% of males should be castrated. Pakistani nationalist forum agrees that 95% of India's population should be massacred on the spot. Oh yes, and any fat acceptance forum has no doubts about the fact that 95% of all diets are destined to fail and anyone standing 5'5" and weighing 500 pounds is just as healthy as a person of the same height weighing 150 pounds. There's so much to be learned from all those movements based on extremism, distorted facts and quack science [Smile]

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2011 04:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
zesovietrussian:
Until you jumped in with your reference to Harding and subsequent rant, this topic was entirely composed of posts offering support and congratulations to TFD for deciding to lose weight and succeeding at it.

Neither Rhonwyyn nor anyone else had said anything about fat acceptance. The only reason the subject came up is because you mentioned Harding. Rhonwyyn's reply to that said nothing about acceptance and simply tried to make sense of your mention of Harding, but that didn't stop you from posting a subsequent rant about fat acceptance.

Why? Was it not acceptable to you to see a topic about TFD dieting that wasn't filled with insults? Were you so bored by people congratulating his success that you had to try and derail it?

tl;dr STFU troll-boy.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted June 27, 2011 05:43      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meeester poleeeceman, do me a favor and take your trollhunter badge to a local biker bar, you'll have plenty of heated discussions to moderate. Just make sure you file off any sharp edges, because you know where it's going to end up.
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted June 27, 2011 06:10      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lame troll is lame.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 2 posted June 27, 2011 07:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grumpy steen is grumpy.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 27, 2011 12:08      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hit the 20kg mark today. (44 lbs, 11/14 of a firkin)
BMI 24.74
I've lost 18% of my starting weight.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 04, 2011 19:51      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: it's a little over a year since I started the project, and a little over 4 months since I reached my target weight.

I haven't put any weight on, but those last few kilos I was kinda-sorta aiming to lose haven't happened either.

And then I got a phone call...

My brother just had his third heart attack (he's ok, lives very close to a hospital, and was there within minutes of the first chest pain - time *is* of the essence in these things). Both of my parents have had heart attacks, and several of my aunts and uncles. Not the kind of family history doctors like to hear.

So I've decided the very upper limit of 'normal weight' is not where I want to be. I've set myself a new target, 10kg weight lost by Easter. that's 2kg per month.

Once more unto the breach...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2011 18:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well I have not done as well as TFD. In fact I am back at my start point.

-

TheMoMan = 100 kilograms = 15.7473044 stone

Congratulations TFD

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture