homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My latest project. (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: My latest project.
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2010 02:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All this talk of weight got me thinking...

I checked the weight tables for my height, and I was officially 'obese' by 1kg.

Breakfast and dinner are fairly healthy, Mrs Druid makes sure of that, but lunches, well, there's a KFC and a fish and chip shop within walking distance of work, and I do like my junk food. I looked up a typical lunch, and it came to around 7000 kilojoules (1700 Calories) which is over half my recommended daily intake.

So, 10 days ago I swore off the junk food. In place of my salty/fatty lunches I now eat as much fruit as I want (typically 2 or 3 pieces), and drink water instead of the fizzy-sugary drinks. I figure I've reduced my intake by about 6000 kJ (1400 Calories).

Breakfast and dinner remain unchanged.

The important thing is I don't feel like a martyr. If I tried to live on celery sticks and lettuce I would fall off the wagon within hours, but I quite like my fruity lunches, and I eat enough that I don't feel hungry.

10 days later, I've lost 2 kg, so I'm officially 'overweight' which sounds so much better than 'obese'. My target is to lose another 8 kg by xmas, and 8 more by Easter, which will take me out of the 'overweight' range just in time for my annual chocolate overdose.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 26, 2010 07:28      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is excellent news, TFD.

One word of warning, though. Your metabolism will adjust to the lesser calory intake, and you won't be losing weight as quickly. As some point, you will even level out. And any "going over" will be stored as fat, so make sure you exercise enough over the Chrismas and Easter holidays to make up for the extra intake of kj.

Still, the lower intake of salt is enough to lower your risks of heart diseases. Add to that the saturated fat you don't ingest anymore, and your physician will be enormously happy! So, if you can keep it up (the occasional lapses are no big deal, really), it's all win for you, even if you don't lose as much weight as you hope. Good job! [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2010 14:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 14.

Weight loss so far: 3.1 kg (6.8 lbs)
Weight loss per day: 221g (0.488 lbs)

Feeling very smug, the weight's coming off faster than I'd planned. At this rate, I'll reach my Easter target (90kg, BMI 25) this year.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 29, 2010 15:17      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Careful dude. 2 lb (~1 kg) per week is considered the safest sustainable rate of weight loss. If you're going faster than that there's a risk that you're just dehydrating.

Otherwise, go you!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 03:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine, you'll be relieved to know I haven't kept up my dangerously fast rate of weight loss.

Day 21: total loss 3.5 kg
Loss/day: 167g (0.37 lbs)
Loss for week: 400g.

Not too bad, considering.

I count myself lucky not to have gained weight this week. We get a holiday here for American Election Day, and lots of people take the Monday off and make it a 4 day weekend. Traditionally it's a very social time, lots of barbecues, drinking, gambling, and general debauchery. Not a good time to be trying to stick to a diet.

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 04:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, Good on Ya. Hey I found this link.

http://www.everydayhealth.com/toolkit/weightcalculator/index.aspx?xid=m_cc&utm_source=msn&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=bmi%27s&utm_campaign=EH|CC|Tools%20-%20General|MST&s_kwcid=TC-4324 -4804771401-e-423601570

____ I have not been that lean since I was twenty. At the time I was discharged from the Navy I weighed 201, I was teaching water rescue and was hard. I really do not think I could get down to 158Lbs. Since this discussion started I weighed 225, now I am at 214, Just trying to control portion size, I know that I am moving the holes on my belt. Texas type belt, I am seeing parts of the belt that have not seen any thing but the inside of the buckle.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 06:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Since this discussion started I weighed 225, now I am at 214,

Well done! [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 06, 2010 08:43      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MoMan and TFD... nice! MAG VALOUR to the both of you! [Applause] [Applause]

I gotta join this runaway weight train.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 09:10      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:

I count myself lucky not to have gained weight this week. We get a holiday here for American Election Day, and lots of people take the Monday off and make it a 4 day weekend. Traditionally it's a very social time, lots of barbecues, drinking, gambling, and general debauchery. Not a good time to be trying to stick to a diet.

WTF? Not even we get Election Day off.

Well, okay, some school districts either call it off or have a delayed start or early release because the schools double as polling places in some precincts, but not always. In a lot of places, students just have to deal with the fact that on that day, there's going to be lines of people in the school.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 13:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
quote:

We get a holiday here for American Election Day, and lots of people take the Monday off and make it a 4 day weekend. Traditionally it's a very social time, lots of barbecues, drinking, gambling, and general debauchery. Not a good time to be trying to stick to a diet.

WTF? Not even we get Election Day off.
First Tuesday in November is a big deal here, most aussies are keenly interested in the result.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 15:50      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well where I worked the union contract, gave us election day off, to me it was crazy how many did not vote even when they had the day off. I think that the elector should bring back proof that they voted to get paid for the day.

____ Tonight, tonight, Daylight Savings Time goes away yeah, on that poop.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
CyberGoddess
Highlie
Member # 147

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 06, 2010 19:36      Profile for CyberGoddess   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats! My husband and I started Weight Watchers Online about a month ago. I'm sitting at 8.8 lbs lost so far (he's a bit ahead of me). Averaging about 2 lbs a week now which is expected. Totally not hungry, either - I am eating plenty of food. Tonight I even made some awesome mini-pizzas.

Keep it up [Smile]

--------------------
CyberGoddess
La Goddess of Go-Go :)
http://www.kageneko.net
After Y2K Fan Club Member #15

"Chaos. Panic. Disorder. My work here is done."

Posts: 621 | From: Larkspur, CA | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 07, 2010 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
First Tuesday in November is a big deal here, most aussies are keenly interested in the result.

Okay, that makes much, much more sense.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 17:45      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Day 30.

Total loss: 4.4 kg
Loss since last report (9 days ago) 900g.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 14, 2010 17:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ I fell off the wagon, I packed on 6lbs so fast it was scary, well back on the eliptical. [shake head] [shake head] [shake head]

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 26, 2010 13:42      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6 weeks, 6.1 kg.

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted November 26, 2010 14:13      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid: [Applause]
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2010 07:06      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well did I ever lose ground. Thanksgiving, feast, did my diet in, I gained back to 221, but I did not have to let the belt out yet. Me thinks it is time to go out and work on the windmill.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2010 14:19      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Well did I ever lose ground. Thanksgiving, feast, did my diet in, I gained back to 221

Yeah, the next month's going to be hard, all those Xmas dinners...

Can I engage your competitive spirit with a challenge?

Taking today as a baseline, whoever loses the least weight by 31 December has to post the most embarrassing photo they have of themselves.

Deal?

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2010 15:53      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TFD, I have a idea, remember years ago of the dating sites and peoples descriptions were no where close to reality? In one the tub-o-lard described himself as tall and lanky, then the photo of a fat old man wearing tightey whities, well you have the description.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 13:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
7 weeks, 7 kg.

I've passed the 1/3 mark, and I'm theoretically on track for the half-way point by Xmas, but that line on the graph knows nothing of the traditional Xmas excesses, (Mrs Druid's uncle is a retired chef - Clan McDruid-in-law Xmas dinners are GOOD) so I won't be surprised (or particularly disappointed) if I miss that target.

My appetite is changing. My approach to dieting is "don't be hungry" - if my small lunch leaves me hungry by mid afternoon, I'll have another apple, with a clear conscience. In the first few weeks I was doing that a lot, now it's pretty rare.

A big cardboard box arrived on Thursday, the exercise bike, plan to assemble it today.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 16:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Well TFD, While you are making good weight loss progress I am doing the opposite I am now at 225Lbs. So tell me what kind o picture you want?

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2010 17:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____ Well TFD, While you are making good weight loss progress I am doing the opposite I am now at 225Lbs. So tell me what kind o picture you want?

Do you have a tutu? [evil]

I've only lost 900g (2lbs) since the challenge was issued, and there's plenty of time to catch up, don't go conceding defeat yet.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 10, 2010 13:00      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
8 weeks, 8 kg.

I'm down to a BMI of 28.1 (started at 30.3)

I've been doing 1/2 an hour per day on the exercise bike, not because of the tiny (approx 100g/week) contribution to my weight loss but because it adds to my general feeling of self-righteousness.

Still on track for the 100kg target by Xmas.

(I'm tall, 100kg on me isn't too bad)

--------------------

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted December 10, 2010 13:55      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture