homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » News from my sister in NZ

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: News from my sister in NZ
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 02:50      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My sister K, who with her husband G and two cats live in New Brighton, a suburb of Christchurch New Zealand sent me this email today
quote:
We have been very lucky, the house is okay - no damage that we can see - not bad for a 100 year old wooden villa!  The humans were shaken but not stirred, who am I kidding, it was very scary.  The cats were definitely scared and took off.  Daisy came back after about 3 hours, Lily sat under the bench in the garden for ages, came in and then every time there was an aftershock raced outside again.  She eventually came in and sat on my lap shaking, although whether that was the cold or fear I do not know.

G was terrific.  All the primary school kids get taught what to do in an earthquake and when the shake started to get really severe he just went onto auto pilot, jumped out of bed and straight into the doorway (which is where you are supposed to go, that or under a strong table) shouting at me to get up and join him.  I had trouble getting out of the bed and across the bedroom as the ground was shaking so much. Then we just hung onto each other and the door way,  it was the longest and most frightening 45 seconds I have ever lived through.  After that the power went off but we have a torch in the hallway which turns itself on when there is a powercut, so we had light.  Next G found the transistor radio and found a talkback station and we listened for whether there was a tsunami alert as we would have to get moving quite quickly if there was.  A lot of people just got in their cars and headed for the hills there and then.  Fortunately there was no tsunami alert but the aftershocks then started coming with quite a big one at about an hour after the main event.  After that it was assessing the damage, checking on our neighbours, especially our 87 year old neighbour across the road (he was fine) and working out what still going, not much! No power, water or sewage.  Power came back on at 9:30, water and sewage in the evening.  Some areas are still without, we really were very fortunate.

One newish housing area close to us has really suffered with liquefaction.A lot of those houses will be condemned.  I really feel for those people.

I am getting sick of the aftershocks - just had another one (4.5) which had one work colleague under her desk and me in the doorway.

She attached some photos including these taken by a work colleague of G at the town of Kaiapoi which is a few kms north of Christchurch
 -  -

Looks like Christchurch dodged a bullet.

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 03:44      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a friend who grew up on the north island but still has many friends in the Christchurch area. He said all is well with them, but that other people in this area outside of christcurch lost thier chimneys. Basically, that houses without chmneys made it through and the ones with will have to have mahjor repair or be condemned because of the chimneys falling down.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 06, 2010 04:05      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scary stuff, but Kiwis are a hardy breed, I'm sure they'll cope.

The headline in the NZ paper yesterday was about people turning up at hospitals with minor injuries sustained while trying to fix their houses. If that's the worst news they can report after a 7.1 earthquake, they got off really lightly. For comparison, the hugely destructive Haiti earthquake was a 7.0.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 00:09      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
~~~~This is not the post you are looking for~~~~~
Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 00:10      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some interesting pics here.

The train line one astounds me.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 03:56      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ WOW

____ Those photo's were amassing!!

____ What happens to underground Petrol Tanks?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 07, 2010 06:20      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____ WOW

____ Those photo's were amassing!!

____ What happens to underground Petrol Tanks?

I would think

A) these would be more stucturally stable and safer in and earthqauke ( nothing can fall on them and open them) than an above ground tank.

b) only if it was directly on the fault line ( improbable) would it open and spill.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture