homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » google hits

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: google hits
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 00:49      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
XKCD often uses google hit counts in thier cartoons.

Today I was trying to convince my wife via email that "without a hitch" is the correct phrasing and it is not "Without a glitch", "without a clitch" or "without a snitch".

So as evidence I was going to use google hits for each of those phrasings to convicne her.

unfortunately without using quotes, Without a clitch has by far the most hits.

Google hits;

wihtout quotes

15'700'000 für without a clitch
5'090'000 für without a glitch
1'790'000 für without a hitch

with quotes

1'310'000 für "without a hitch"
573'000 für "without a glitch"
146 für "without a clitch"

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 01:16      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Without a stitch" - 407,000
Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 01:19      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"without a pitch" - About 1,800,000 results

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 08:08      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just point her to the urban dictionary's definition of clitch and suggest that maybe that's not what she wants to say.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 10:03      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You know what's really sad? I've never seen "clitch" before, but just from the look and sound guessed it could be subverted into discussions of female anatomy. Then I hit Steen's link.

I think this means I need a good long break from civilization so I can cleanse myself. A "three weeks in the utter wilderness" kind of break. I won't be getting one any time soon, but clearly I need one.

Anyway, as for as your argument with your wife goes, why don't you just play the "English is my mother tongue" card? Works for me, though we often end up then engaging in a discussion of why it's one way and not the other. For example, why do we say "quickly" but not "fastly"? That sort of conversation goes nowhere fast because at the end of the day, there's no logical rhyme or reason to English grammar but it is good for a laugh.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 10:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
I think this means I need a good long break from civilization so I can cleanse myself. A "three weeks in the utter wilderness" kind of break. I won't be getting one any time soon, but clearly I need one.

Please, take me with you and leave me there! [tired]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 05, 2010 15:48      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
For example, why do we say "quickly" but not "fastly"? That sort of conversation goes nowhere fast because at the end of the day, there's no logical rhyme or reason to English grammar but it is good for a laugh.

Quite logical really, but you do have to know a bit of background...

'Fast' originally meant 'securely attached', later it took on a secondary meaning of 'soon/immediately', which then morphed into the current usage, denoting speed.

Today, the original meaning is falling into disuse, surviving mostly in phrases like 'stand fast' (which must be really confusing for people learning English) and 'fastened', but for a long time both meanings were in common use, so 'fastly' would have been ambiguous.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2010 01:00      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Anyway, as for as your argument with your wife goes, why don't you just play the "English is my mother tongue" card? Works for me, though we often end up then engaging in a discussion of why it's one way and not the other. For example, why do we say "quickly" but not "fastly"? That sort of conversation goes nowhere fast because at the end of the day, there's no logical rhyme or reason to English grammar but it is good for a laugh.

Because she'll say, "noooooo, I swear I heard it the other way before. You must be mistaken or you must say it wrong in Indiana. you're not perfect you know."

But I find it cute. (which is why I posted it) I suppose my relationship is fine as long and these quirks stay cute and do not become peeves.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted July 06, 2010 17:27      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TFD:
'Fast' originally meant 'securely attached', later it took on a secondary meaning of 'soon/immediately', which then morphed into the current usage, denoting speed.

If I may expand on TFD's comment on Xanthine's compare/contrast of quick/fast...

"quick" originally meant 'alive' or 'full of life' - giving us usages such as 'Quicksilver' for mercury, the only metal that can flow and spread and seep at room temperature.

Also, there was 'to quicken', meaning to show a spurt in growth, or a re-birth from an apparently dead state. From this we get the name 'quickthorn' for what is usually termed 'blackthorn', meaning Prunus Spinosa - which is unusual in that the flowers are usually seen before the leaves. Surely a sign of the life-force running ahead of itself unchecked?? Hence this over-abundance of life-force leads to the name 'quickthorn'.

The modern meaning of quick is to simply mean 'done with speed" or with s snse of urgency

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 06, 2010 20:05      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, Ash, what did you say to convince her? Did you link to this definition?
quote:
without a hitch
Fig. with no problem(s). Everything went off without a hitch. We hoped the job would go off without a hitch.
See also: hitch, without

McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture