homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Building a DDR Pad

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Building a DDR Pad
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2010 10:38      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I decided that I finally needed to build the DDR pad that I always wanted to build. I have it mostly done. I still need: arrow graphics (need to get Kinkos to print that), electrical connections, foam strips, and final assembly. SO close...

This is Dad cutting the sheet metal (22 gauge steel), we tried a lot of things and found this to work best, note all the clamps.
 -

Here's the pad in it's current state:
 -

[Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2010 11:34      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Very Cool! Impressive.

So, there is this program, set up by MIT, that they use when teaching programming theory called "scratch". Its a graphical interface for writing basic programs. Games mostly. One student made a DDR look alike, and it is very good, and fun to play.

Check it out~~~~~>  Scratch Scratch Revolution

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 18, 2010 12:59      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macky,
I need video of you DOING it when you are finished! And I won't even put it on youtube;) *snickers* Awesome job!

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 12:51      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Update: This all started as my "vacation plans." I couldn't afford a real vacation, so I did a "vacation project" instead. I don't have the tools or the skill to cut all the metal, wood, and Plexiglas; but Dad (and Dad's tools!) were very helpful in that regard. It took us a number of days to get everything cut to size. Since we'd never cut 22ga sheet metal and .22inch Plexiglas before we had to do some trial and error experimenting which took a lot of time too.

Well, my vacation ended before everything was together, but we got everything cut and all the pieces ready to go, they just need to be assembled. I brought the parts home and am finishing it on my livingroom floor.
 -

I'm inching ever closer to completion, and I've started wiring up the pad.
 -

But I've run into a snag, the drywall screws that I'm using for button contacts are freaking non-conductive! Folks, you can't use an insulator for an electrical contact. *sigh*

I guess I need to take a trip to the hardware store and take my multimeter with me.

Stay tuned, there's more to come after the break...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 14:00      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or just solder over them. Any conductive soldering wire should do the trick; you could also wrap them in aluminum, but it may wear out quickly, especially if the pads slide a bit.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BJ
Newbie Larva
Member # 2250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 23, 2010 16:15      Profile for BJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awesome job on that... Glad to see other people building DDR / ITG pads still...

The machines here are pretty horrid... Other than one machine that a local guy actually owns...

I was sick of paying to play on a bad machine...

*laughs*, I used 14 guage steel on mine... No way I was cutting / bending that... So I just got the metal work company to laser cut it and bend it for me. (Expensive... but I was going for 'arcade accurate')

If you have any questions, need any help... let me know. I learnt more than a few things building mine, although it was a different style...

Posts: 7 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 24, 2010 18:14      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, I got some non-galvanized screws which conduct electricity very well (took my ohmmeter to the hardware store, just to be sure). I fine-tuned each side of the button using my ohmmeter for feedback and tweaked and tweaked and tweaked until I got all the screws PERFECTLY level all around. I strayed from the original plan, but made a very accurate and sensitive switch.

Anyway, I finally have ONE directional switch done. It has no arrow graphic inside it, and now that it's together I'm not sure if I really want to add one, I kind of like the ability to see the tech inside; it makes my pad unique.

-

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

BJ
Newbie Larva
Member # 2250

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted July 12, 2010 18:08      Profile for BJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Any updates on the pad? Get it all done yet? How's it play?
Posts: 7 | From: Alberta, Canada | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture