homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » End of an era

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: End of an era
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 29, 2010 22:08            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have just removed from active service the last CRT-based computer monitor in the house...my own, which is a 21" Dell-branded Trinitron.

In its place, I am now running an Acer P215H widescreen LCD display, which neither Windows 7 nor Ubuntu Lucid Lynx had any trouble adapting to; it was literally "plug and play" in both cases.

I'll probably be getting another one in mid-June, to make it easier to do work at home. (At work, I use an iMac running Ubuntu Karmic Koala, with a Samsung external LCD display hooked to it for a second screen.)

In the meantime, I have a big ol' monitor to put in the closet...and I need to move a couple of them to the storage locker...

IP: Logged
Venture
Geek-in-Training
Member # 32021

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 00:10      Profile for Venture   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ha, that thing prolly weighed a ton. I have only 1 tube TV left in my house that I desperately wish to replace; When the money comes. They consume so much power compared to the LCDs. and are hideous and clunky.

--------------------
~The world is a hologram; Subvert the dominant paradigm~

Posts: 35 | From: Summerville, SC | Registered: May 2010  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted May 30, 2010 00:52      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We got rid of our last one during our recent move. Man, it's hard to say goodbye to a monitor that cost almost 1000 bucks in it's day.

Oh well, long live flat panels. [ohwell]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 03:07      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last CRT left Casa Del Druid about a year ago, replaced by a very nice 1920x1200 Samsung LCD.

Fortunately, a workmate really dislikes LCDs, so he was happy to give my old CRT a good home, I hate to see perfectly useable gear going into landfill.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 04:28      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here in the Grummash household we still have three CRT tellys, but no CRT monitors. I really want to replace at least the main telly with an LCD one but the damn thing just won't die, and I can't bring myself to scrap it while it still works.

One thing though, if we did scrap the CRTs they wouldn't go straight to landfill. Due to the EU Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment Directive all manner of power-hungry devices have to be broken up so that most of the internal nastiness can be recycled, with as little of the materials going to landfill as possible.

So I would just drop the CRT of at the municipal dump, and they would do the rest.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Erbo
Discontinued

Icon 1 posted May 30, 2010 17:09            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, the 21" Dell Trinitron weighs a lot; even the two 17" monitors I have (a Gateway and a Dell) are heavy. One of the 17" monitors and a 15" one went to the storage locker; the other 17" and the 21" are now in the closet, as "ready reserves."

Fortunately, though, it didn't cost a lot; I bought it from a local used-computer store for somewhere between $100 and $150 a few years back. Pamela originally used it as an auxiliary monitor on her Toshiba laptop; I "inherited" it when she left for Finland. Its replacement now is part of my and Sabrina's current ongoing hardware-upgrade process. (And some of that hardware is being "recycled"...Sabrina's old motherboard, CPU, and RAM got shipped to her father in Illinois, so he could use it to refurbish one of his own systems.)

IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture