homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » New apartment, maybe? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New apartment, maybe?
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 07, 2010 10:02      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently contemplating a move to a new apartment. I've been living in the same place for about 5 years now and my current apartment has two major drawbacks and one minor one. The two most grievous problems are: 1) no light, and 2) no parking.

My current apartment has but two windows, one of them faces into an alley so all I can see is a brick wall, the other one faces due North, so I never, ever, get any direct sunlight in here. It's dark and dreary in here, especially in the winter.

There is a parking lot behind my building, but it is a city-operated lot. The landlords have 5 spots in the lot, and 18 apartments in the building. We call it the "parking lottery." If I can't get one of those spots I have to park 4 blocks away and walk, which is a little scary late at night, though I've never really had a problem.

The other problem with my current apartment is that there's a lack of storage space. I have one standard closet and one linen closet. Both are quite full.

The new apartment is a bit larger, it has one bedroom (I'm currently in a studio), it has Eastern and Southern exposures so there would be a LOT more light. There's a driveway, and room enough for me to park BOTH my Buick and my bus. The driveway would give me a place to work on the bus. The apartment has exclusive access to the basement, which would give me ample storage. There's a back patio where I could put a grill (something I've always wanted). It's on a nice grassy property, here is just a concrete wasteland.

The downside is that it's $450/mo. compared to my current $385/mo. The heat in the new place is a gas boiler, I currently have electric baseboard heat. The gas heat is cheaper (I've called the energy company), but not quite enough to offset the higher rent.

My spreadsheet tells me that I can afford it, I really like the new apartment, I'm just scared.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 10:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Change is scary, Cost to heat, if you look at Electric it is one hundred % efficient, no vent for flue gases. However it is more expensive per BTU. Will it be you only on the boiler or is it shared? Small scale hot water heat is comfortable but not as efficient as large scale. How is the heat handled each unit has it own boiler or the landlord is splitting the costs or is he covering the heat. If there will be multi-able units run your thermostat lower and use an Electric Blanket, (neutered bed warmer) and a heat lamp in the bathroom. When you have guests turn up the thermostat.

____ To help in the comparesion look here. It does not do Electric/Heat pump so you are on your own there.

http://www.pelletheat.org/3/residential/compareFuel.cfm

____ Sometimes insurance rates for cars and renters change with address you may want to check with your agent, Sixty five dollars may not seem like much but some times the added daylight, being able to look out and see clouds may be well worth the added cost/month.

____ So Saith TheMoMan Go For It.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 10:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'll have my own thermostat, but I don't know if it's one big boiler with control valves tied to the thermo or if I'll have my own separate one.

As far as auto insurance, I'll be moving a whole 4 blocks so I doubt that will change. I know it went up $50/6mo. when I moved here from my parent's house. I could always lie to the insurance company and tell them I live with Mom & Dad, but then if something happens I have to explain to them why the car was here so that's no good.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 07, 2010 11:05      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Remember that with a three story appt. 2nd floor middle of the building the heat is free. Unless there are seperate boilers, how do they know who used what?

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 09:44      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With more natural light, you'll spend less on electricity to light your apartment. Also, you can keep your thermostat lower and layer on the sweatshirts when you're cold.

Have you looked at your expenditures to see what you could cut out or reduce? It sounds like you want this apartment, particularly for your mental health. I'd cut what you can so you can afford the rent.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 10:16      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you can afford it, and you'll be happier there, do it. Never underestimate the importance of a comfortable living situation for your mental state.

If you just can't work up the nerve to move, maybe you can talk to your landlord about repainting the walls. I live in a garden-level unit that gets no direct sun (the windows do face east, but they're flush with the ground and there are plants in front of them) and it is absolutely amazing what changing the colors of the walls did for the place.

For $450/month you can rent a room in someone's basement where I live. Or maybe a studio above someone's garage up in the mountains. But a nice apartment in city limits? Forget it. Students in Boulder who live alone can't afford to do much else. Just to put it in perspective.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 14:15      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
garden level unit :-D is that what they call groud floor (1st floor to the non amis) nowadays?

p.s., when I lived in apartments I always chose ground floor, despite living in a city and having everybody able to look into my apartment. I didn't care, and I don't like carrying groceries up steps.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 14:25      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
For $450/month you can rent a room in someone's basement where I live. Or maybe a studio above someone's garage up in the mountains. But a nice apartment in city limits? Forget it. Students in Boulder who live alone can't afford to do much else. Just to put it in perspective.

Yeah seriously. Speaking from a NY point of view, that's *fantastic.*

It certainly sounds like you should do it, and even you appear to know that...but are simply hesitant. The only reason you shouldn't get that one is if you can find a better one...but it definitely sounds like you're not thrilled with your current abode, and should move. Good luck!

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 14:37      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ashitaka:
garden level unit :-D is that what they call groud floor (1st floor to the non amis) nowadays?

No, actually, that's what they call it when it's below grade but not deep enough underground to qualify as a basement. My windows are pretty standard size and the bottom of the sill is about 4 feet up from the floor from the inside. On the outside, the bottom of the sill is about four inches from the dirt and I have to go down about five steps to get to my front door. I can't have a patio or window box. But I neither have nor really need an A/C, even in the hottest parts of the summer, so that's the trade-off. And I am lucky enough to be facing the inner courtyard, so I don't get headlights beaming into my bedroom like my neighbors across the hall (did I mention the HOA is pissy about black-out shades? Those poor people...).

Fortunately, no one could ever agree if this building was on the 100-year floodplain and now that they've widened out the seasonal creek on the far side of the parking lot everyone now agrees that we are off the 100-year floodplain (I think we're still fscked if it's a 500 year flood though so's most of the city).

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 14:48      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

Yeah seriously. Speaking from a NY point of view, that's *fantastic.*

It certainly sounds like you should do it, and even you appear to know that...but are simply hesitant. The only reason you shouldn't get that one is if you can find a better one...but it definitely sounds like you're not thrilled with your current abode, and should move. Good luck!

spaeking from a swiss point of view, that is fantastic, 50 sqaure meters costs about 2 grand / month in a big city.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 08, 2010 17:11      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go for it.

Being happy where you live is very important.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted May 10, 2010 05:32      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've decided to jump on it. Gonna' pick up the phone right now and call the landlord and tell her that I want the new apartment. [Smile]

Thanks to everybody for your input. I think I'd be downright silly to pass this up. It's a bonafide improvement in my quality of life. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 09:49      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!

Mr. Geek2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 09:50      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yay!

Mr. Geek2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 11, 2010 23:40      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd definitely go for it. It's scary how much of a difference your living environment can make to your mental state.

And I pay ~£800pcm for a one bed flat with one parking space, so quit your moaning [Wink]

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 12:41      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
And I pay ~£800pcm for a one bed flat with one parking space

You live in Cambridge....so that's £100pm for the flat and £700pm for the parking space??? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted May 12, 2010 19:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around here, $450 wouldn't be enough to cover condo fees and property taxes - and that's after taking out a $200K+ mortgage. Gotta love Boston real estate [Frown]
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted May 12, 2010 22:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This message was typed from my new apartment, using Internet services privoded by Wireless Ypsi!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 13, 2010 04:45      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wheeeee! Congrats! [Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause] [thumbsup] [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2010 10:57      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yea! glad the move went smoothly!
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 15, 2010 08:53      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats!!
Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 16, 2010 17:52      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A new home is a big thing

I know we have had a few private chats in the past about things you were not sure of... and I hope that what we discussed helped you find where you wanted to go "for you"

This time I think you already knew what was right for you...

Good for you! A better feeling about where you live always will make you feel better allover.

Hope the feelgood factor really lasts and gives you a karmic "legup" - if it does the dividends will last for years... even perhaps long enough that you will tell your kids/grandkids about the time you moved to the "the great place"

Currently I have a "good place" but is isn't my "great place" atm... time may make it into my "great place" or I may have to move on later to find that - I had a "great place" once but stuff beyond my control took that from me - and just because it was a "great place" then doesn't mean it would still be a "great place" now... things have changed hugely for me in the last 8 years,,.

But I still miss that place in a selfish way... maybe it wouldn't work for me now and I just am thinking "backwards" -nevertheless, a place that feels good for you now is good for you now.

Enjoy

[Smile]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 14:38      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm still in the process of moving, but I took a few minutes to make this video tour of my new apartment, complete with shaky camera work and badly edited cuts! [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 14:59      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have that exact same sink/cupboard in my bathroom which leads me to believe it's the cheapest one
at Home Depot and all the landlords pick it up. Oh, and you have exclusive access to the heat and water
control for the other flats! They better be good to you. [Razz] It reminds me of the one bedroom I had
here downstairs years back. I thought the windows were FANTASTIC there but coming to it from a
basement flat may have skewed my opinion of windows a bit.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2010 16:43      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the part where you geek out over the windows. Almost no one appreciates a good window until they've suffered with a bad one. [thumbsup]

--------------------
- The Decemberists

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture