homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Stupid IT Department Tricks

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stupid IT Department Tricks
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 15:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My IT department just pushed out a "security update" for Firefox which "updated" my 3.6.3 version of Firefox to 3.5.2

o.O

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 15:53      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did you put 3.6.x on there or did they?

I'm guessing they haven't tested enough to migrate to 3.6 yet.

Or...they caught a case of the stupids. [Razz]

P.S. One thing that really sucks about Firefox is there's no easy way to deploy it...no official MSIs exist, nor do official GP templates exist.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 09, 2010 16:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's an odd thing, actually... they don't support Firefox, Opera or anything other browser except for IE. If there are any problems, the standard answer is "use IE."

They push security updates for Firefox, Chrome and Opera, so I assume they're trying to cut security risks, but I know for a fact that they don't test any browser other than IE for functionality.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 14:06      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's odd, at this point, that all they would support is IE. What with the continuous slide in market share for the browser and the continuous string of security holes being discovered, I'd think they'd be a little more forward in their thinking.

Oh, wait, sorry, I must of hit my head this morning to be thinking something like that.

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 14:25      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it isn't so much forward thinking or not. But remote support for any browser other than the default one is tricky at best, and impossible at worst.

So many IT departments will refuse to support and even install any third party browser. This is the same for Mac or Windows places. Safari is much easier to support on a Mac than firefox could ever be.

And Hi tweety!

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 15, 2010 15:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Heh... the only "officially support" browser is IE 6.0 (yes, my company is one of -those- comopanies). IE 8.0 works with everything despite their lack of testing, so I've long since upgraded and don't allow it to be downgraded.

The Firefox thing caught me by surprise, though, so they managed to downgrade it (temporarily... I've fixed that particular problem and I'm back up to the latest version permanently).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture