homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Do you have an "emergency book?"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do you have an "emergency book?"
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2010 12:24      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I always have a book in the glove box of my car just in case I am stuck someplace with GASP nothing to read. My friend thinks this is odd. Do you have an "emergency book?" And what is it?

Mine is a beat up paperback of Dragonbone Chair.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted February 12, 2010 13:11      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a Sony Reader with around 120 books on it (mostly public domain classics from Google Books) that I carry around in the backpack that I take almost everywhere.

I read a lot [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2010 13:30      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You should see if your library buys books from Overdrive. We offer our patrons free downloads of audio and ebooks. The ebooks can be read on a sony. Our WVDELI consortiums is an example.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 12, 2010 13:41      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I try to always leave the house with a book. If all else fails, I do have a Bible in the back seat.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted February 12, 2010 13:56      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have my iPhone, so I have the www with me all the time.

A curse, really.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 13, 2010 05:46      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to keep a book in the car for that purpose, but now it's more likely to be an InformationWeek tucked in the door pocket.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 00:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a copy of Ian Rankin's "Let It Bleed" kicking around in my trunk ostensibly for that very purpose. Alas, I've yet to really dig into it.

Snaggy: That's actually a "Pro" in my book for not having an iPhone. While it does suck at times to not have the entire world at my fingertips, there is actually something to be said for the occasional disconnect. [Razz]

(Clearly, I'm full of FAIL right now about that, though.)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 02:08      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Score another for the iphone, although not for reading. I do plenty of that at work, so hanging around time is spent playing doodle jump.

Dman, Ian Rankin is great. I recommend you get stuck in, although it might think that because it's all set in my adopted home town.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 08:41      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, the habit of having a strategically placed book was beaten out of me in childhood, along with reading while on the potty. But if I know there will be a long and boring wait, I'll pack along some reading material. Sometimes though, I get caught bookless and that sucks.

OTOH, I'm not a kid anymore and I don't have to care what my parents think about my quirks. kreziserb is an unashamed bookworm and he's been good to and for me in that regard. I now read whenever I feel like almost as shamelessly as he does and we've both got books piled on nightstands...or we both had books piled on nightstands until last night when the cat knocked my pile over on his way to the window sill. :/ We're constantly at saturation for bookshelf space. He does most of his pleasure reading in his native language so when he goes back to Serbia he goes to book markets and brings home a suitcase full of books. I just steadily accumulate books. And I think he would be sympathetic if I started stashing books in our cars. Especially if I stashed ones for him as well.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 10:09      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No car, so no.

But I'll usually toss something in my bag. Can't read on the bus, unfortunately. Makes me motion sick. But I can read at the bus stop.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 14, 2010 15:57      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've carried a smart phone of some variety for many years now. That's generally full of podcasts/lectures/videos of a vaguely academic nature, so I spend my free time trying to learn something that way. Now I'm back at uni I'll usually have a textbook or some such with me too.

(This lives in my glovebox, but I don't think that's along the right lines!)

Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2010 04:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I carry my German-learning book in my lunch bag these days, so I can use it on the bus. (If I don't have a lunch a particular day, I will put it in my carrying case - the lunch bag is smaller and easier to reach into when on the bus.) Does that count?

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture