homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Lies, Damn Lies, and....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Lies, Damn Lies, and....
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted November 25, 2009 09:41      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Statistics!!

I've input all the data from my gas receipts this year for my bus and run some statistical analysis and graphs on them.

First the 3 graphs. They show cost per gallon, cost per mile, and miles per gallon, respectively.
I think what I find most interesting is that the cost per mile is *much* more strongly affected by the efficiency of the vehicle (miles per gallon) than the cost of gas.
 -

Now for some fun numbers from this previous "summer" driving season (3/22/09 - 11/19/09):
  • I drove 7052.8 miles.
  • On average, when I filled with gas I put 8.415 gallons in the tank
  • The most I put in at once this year was 12.851 gallons.
  • The average price I paid, per gallon of gas, was $2.469
  • The highest price I paid, per gallon of gas, was $2.959
  • On average, I drove 164 miles between fillups.
  • The farthest I drove between fillups was 234.1 miles.
  • I averaged 19.636 miles per gallon.
  • The "best tank" gave me 23.69 miles per gallon!
  • On average, a tank of gas cost me $20.69
  • The most I paid for a single tank of gas was $35.19
  • I filled my gas tank 46 times during the driving season.

Numbers are fun. [Smile]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 12:46      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For comparison, the VW Polo Bluemotion (one of the cars on my shortlist to replace the ageing druidmobile) sips a mere 3.3 litres/100km (71 mpg for merkins, 86 mpg for brits). The Ford Fiesta Econetic (also on the shortlist) comes in at 3.8 litres/100km. That's Prius-beating economy in an ordinary dinosaur-burning car.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 15:49      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
(71 mpg for merkins, 86 mpg for brits)
Do Americans measure gallons differently than Brits? I guess they must, otherwise that would make no sense at all, I just never knew that before.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 25, 2009 16:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:
(71 mpg for merkins, 86 mpg for brits)
Do Americans measure gallons differently than Brits? I guess they must, otherwise that would make no sense at all, I just never knew that before.
By US law, even 'eco' cars must be fuel-guzzlers. [Wink]

1 US gallon = 3.8 litres
1 UK(and just about everyone else who uses gallons) gallon = 4.5 litres

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Infinitesimal
Geek
Member # 4865

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2009 20:41      Profile for Infinitesimal     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The US pint is also smaller as I discovered on my trip to NY, but one of beer costs almost the same [Razz]
Posts: 153 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jan 2006  |  IP: Logged
bull3t
Assimilated
Member # 852

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2009 06:05      Profile for bull3t     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bah! Bring back the gas guzzlers! I miss my 85 long bed Chevy pickup. Small block 350 v8, 4 bbl carb, exhaust cut before the catalytic converter. Yes, I'm an evil pollution monster.. and I like it that way. Besides, everyone knows global warming is just a globalist conspiracy to distract the masses from whats really going on in the world. And save the "you don't know what you're talking about" stuff.. I live in American's middle eastern "democracy project", where it is more apparent than anywhere else in the world that the western world's governments are up to no good.

--------------------
GC's Mosthated.
"I don’t care if people hate my guts; I assume most of them do. The important question is whether they are in a position to do anything about it."
-William S Burroughs

Posts: 435 | From: Ogden, UT | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture