homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » what is your perfect weekend?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: what is your perfect weekend?
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 07:03      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm off this weekend and will go buy trilobites at the rock and gem show!! I'm going to go eat at Casa and have a margarita. Not an exciting, but pretty nice weekend.

So what is your perfect weekend?

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 07:45      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One that involves lots of sleep!
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 10:38      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One that involves me being able to do what [b]I[/i] want to do, rather than what everyone else wants me to do.

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 17:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ TheMoMan & MrsMoMan live in an area that many weekenders come to visit, "Go up North" that means we have to put up with them when they get here. We try to live our lives so that we do not need to go into town on the weekends. How ever we still have to put up with them driving up and down our farm roads and behaving like idiots. Playing their radios full blast and tearing up the woods.

____ So to us a nice quiet weekend with out noise is very welcome. On Tuesday the gas prices will go back down and I will fill up the Van and Truck check the tractor fuel stand and start doing chores. Sometimes we do chores on the weekend just because if it is already noisy why not.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 17:30      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
originally posted by Ugh... One that involves me being able to do what I want to do, rather than what everyone else wants me to do.
I've been having that dream 52 times a year since I got married
[Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 16, 2009 17:33      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the last few months now I've been going for a Sunday afternoon bike ride in the park with druidling V2.0f, I'm really enjoying that.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted October 16, 2009 22:13      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Spending time with my boyfriend going out to eat something, enjoying the rain from the bedroom, watch a film, enjoy the pleasures of love and things of that kind.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 08:40      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My perfect weekend usually involves a football game or two, being around great people, getting a happy phone call from my mom, and getting to sleep in.

Chicago Bears play tomorrow! Wooo! </rabid fan>

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted October 17, 2009 15:23      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Napping on the couch with my cat, watching a Firefly marathon. Nitrozac brings home pizza,

best of all would be that the comic for Sunday night is done (which is a rare rare event... we usually work on Sundays.)
[cry baby]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 17:06      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No calls or emails from work over the weekend. Fishing on the lake in a boat or on the shore. Or Skiing all day long on the slopes

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 17, 2009 20:58      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just got back from my Sunday bike-ride with druidling V2.0f, 28km - not bad for an old fart and a 9 year old kid.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 06:03      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
this weekend wasn't a perfect weekend but it was a good one.

It was supposed to rain (a cold fall rain) all weekend where I live. So instead of getting rained on we went up to 2k meters and stayed at a hotel with family; we had two days of beautiful snow (2 days snowfall without pause). At just below zero it was great to go for walks, not too cold and if we were at any lower altitude we would have had nothing but rain.

When we weren't outside we were inside in a warm cozy bar in the hotel playing board games with family, drinking really good grappa.

All in all a great way to make use of what would have been a cold rainy weekend.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 7 posted October 18, 2009 08:42      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid.. Magnificent Valour! [Applause]

Ashitaka: wow sounds nice! Here on the west coast of Canada. during the winter, it's often sunny up on the mountains when it's raining at the ocean. So we drive up the mountain to get some sun.

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 12:03      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's raining. Weather Underground gives 100% chance of rain for much of the day.

Whee.

Oh well...I can think of at least one nifty indoor spot to hang out.

Allons-y!

P.S. Something awesome and kind of apt for the weather...

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 13:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Well this weekend started good, yesterday we went for a quit drive on back county roads and found our way to the Kirtland Warbler wildlife refuge special event station, Once a year the forest service lets hams opperate from the preserves as a way of getting a higher turn out of visitors.

____ Well on the way back the front brakes started to act up, sever pulling, and noise. This morning I got out the floor jack and up she went. I removed the tires and the right pads were shot, so off to the parts store. Then when I get back I see what I should not have missed two cracks in the rotor. So off to the parts store for a new rotor. So now the repairs are affected and I am inside thinking about how good a shower will feel.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 18, 2009 23:51      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:

____ ... So now the repairs are affected and I am inside thinking about how good a shower will feel.

wait, now I am confused on how to use the words affect and effect.

I had always thought when someone uses the word affect, that means that thex had an emotional reponse, but dictionary.com seems to disagree with me? to say that something is affected means that that thing had an emotional response.

quote:
Affect1 and effect, each both noun and verb, share the sense of “influence,” and because of their similarity in pronunciation are sometimes confused in writing. As a verb affect1 means “to act on” or “to move” (His words affected the crowd so deeply that many wept); affect2 means “to pretend” or “to assume” (new students affecting a nonchalance they didn't feel). The verb effect means “to bring about, accomplish”: Her administration effected radical changes. The noun effect means “result, consequence”: the serious effects of the oil spill. The noun affect1 pronounced with the stress on the first syllable, is a technical term in psychology and psychiatry. Affect2 is not used as a noun.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 19, 2009 00:24      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ash - don't let the usually very good dictionary.com confuse you.

In this context, the correct term is effected. Foe example:

...the repairs are effected... simply means that the repairs have been made.

whereas -

...the repairs are affected... means that since the repairs were first done, something has happened which has compromised their original integrity.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 19, 2009 01:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

____ Grummash & Ashitaka, For over forty years I have had trouble deciding how those two words were used, now it seems that my English teacher from grade Nine was wrong.

I was under the impression that affected was a causative verb.

I was also under the impression that effected was a human response or feeling, Thank you both.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 16:37      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Reading, watching bizarre internet television and eating quasi-healthy junk food.

What more?

Well... I won't mention the others...

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 20, 2009 17:51      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Affected is correct.

Now ...

My perfect weekend is one spent during Fall in the upper Midwest of the good, old U.S.A. Although I must say Canada near Niagara and Toronto is very pleasant, too!

It starts with the morning frost chasing Mrs. Geek 2Me into my arms for a warm hug and a kiss. How much can I pay the frost for that?

Oh my!

Grapes tarry on the vine hanging around for their turn at Ice Wine. Their essence so intense it slips down our noses and teases our tongues.

The cider is fresh pressed and cold and tart as a pie apple plucked from the tree. And we smile and share it, Mrs. Geek 2Me and me!

The sun no longer rises high like a summer day, but it kisses our cheeks with its warmth like it is kissing us good bye!

Good bye Sun! Enjoy your vacation in Australia! Say Hello to Skippy to for me tch*tch* tch*!

Mrs. Geek 2Me, the puppies, my dog and me head to the forest to hike and play.

Bright red Maples. Golden Hickory. Fiery Sumac. Purple Alder. Sunny yellow Aspen leaves flutter like a flock of butterflies!

But the dowdy Oaks just stand around like tired old men.

We tumble in the leaves, and run and roll and the dogs hop around with big doggy smiles. The musty fragrance of fall hugs us all. Almost as tight as Mrs. Geek 2Me hugs me!

At night the stars in the black, black, black Fall night twinkle like our eyes.

Every breath is fuller and richer than the finest wine.

And just to make sure we breathe our wine and sip the breeze and declare the air the winner, if only by a hair.

Then we pitch a tent and fill it with blankets, pads, pillows and bags. And pile in, dogs and all! We wrap ourselves up and the dogs dig for cover.

We wiggle and snuggle, the dogs snuffle and waggle until everything is just so and settled in on a cool, Fall, three dog night!

What do you think of that?

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 00:11      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
we have a poet on the boards again. everyone be nice, we have been known to chase poets off the boards here.

thanks for sharing.

--------------------

-Assif Mandvi

Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 10:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
wait, now I am confused on how to use the words affect and effect.

I run with the nerves to remember - afferent nerves carry sensory info to the brain (so things affect you), efferent nerves carry motor impulses away from the brain (so you effect a change). Might work for you too?
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 11:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[crazy]

____ Now my head hurts.

[blush]

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2009 14:57      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr Geek 2U - what an excellent post! [Applause]

We wiggle and snuggle, the dogs snuffle and waggle until everything is just so and settled in on a cool, Fall, three dog night!

Fabulous. [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture