homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Biology Battle Scars

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Biology Battle Scars
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2009 17:33      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, today for my fish biology class we were doing field work at one of the local parks. Field work for this class usually involves going to local streams and lakes and collecting native species to study back in our lab on campus, since it was a nice day I decided to go skin wading in the stream we were working in. The skin wading turned out to be a good idea because twenty minutes into trying to catch some fish I fell and drenched myself (I'd prepared for this and had a change of clothes ready for me once we got back to campus). At this point I should have known to just not try anything other than stand in the middle of the stream and steer the fish toward our large nets, however, my common sense didn't kick in. An hour later we were moving upstream and needed to reset our nets, wanting something to do I volunteered for the job.

The two of us that were setting the net had gotten down off of the bank onto retaining rocks that the park had set up to deter erosion, the guy I was with got off of the rocks perfectly fine, I however got my foot caught on the net and ended up with it sliding between two large rocks. Unknown to myself and my classmates a colony of zebra mussels had set itself up in the spaces between these rocks, after pulling my foot out and finishing setting the net in the stream one of the guys from class wandered up to me, points at my foot and asks me if I knew that I was bleeding. I had no idea and had been standing in the water for five minutes or so just bleeding away. Turns out that zebra mussels are insanely sharp and will slice open a human foot.

So, long story short, I have six stitches and a new collegiate battle scar, and I was just wondering if anyone else had any interesting scar stories that they'd like to share.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 21, 2009 19:50      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry, no battle scar stories, but I will say folks around here hate those damn zebra muscles. Yes, they're very sharp, and they're clogging up the lakes and all the water intakes in the lakes around here something fierce. Some researchers recently discovered a zinc alloy (I think) that the muscles don't like, though. So hopefully the snobby hippies with their lakeside cabins can soon more easily use the lakewater that they don't want Cornell to use. (As opposed to the regular hippies who don't have lakeside cabins but still don't want Cornell to use the lakewater.)

Hope your foot heals up nicely Spaz!

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2009 01:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a nice collection of falling-down-cliff related geology battle scars (and one on my forehead from opening a toilet door onto it while hung over on fieldwork...)
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2009 05:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All my impressive injury stories have, strangely, failed to leave much visible trace, while my few noticeable scars are of fairly prosaic origin.

I do have a fairly impressive cut-throat scar. Sometimes, when I'm feeling mischievous, I spin thrilling yarns about dark-street encounters with knife-wielding villains, but the real story involves a surgeon and a scalpel. Yawn.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted September 22, 2009 10:01      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I cut my finger with paper last Thursday, does it count? Actually, no noticeable scars here.
Well, I was hit by a car in May 26th, but I didn't break anything.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2009 11:19      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only had to get stitches once, and that was working on-campus. I got careless with a utility knife and ended up getting three stitches in my pinky right before a final exam.

It was a bit embarrassing, because I knew better, and I was in the process of realizing I was being stupid when the knife slipped. [blush]

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2009 15:57      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a nasty, raised scar on my elbow that's about 3 cm long and ~ 3/4 cm across at it's widest point. That's what happens if you slice yourself to the bone and don't get to a doctor in time. That's the remains of a mountaineering accident. So's the line through my eyebrow, and the scar under my nose.

That was a "fun" day.

I have another scar, on my left middle finger, that probably would have healed up better and faster if I'd gone in for stitches or, at teh very least, some skin glue. But I didn't. I cut myself with some broken glass. I was in the lab. It was late. I was washing up several sets of glass plates so I could use them again the next day. Two were sitting in the sink. One was in my hands. I was lifting it up onto the drying rack when I lost my grip (wet gloves are treacherous) and the plate fell and smashed into the plates in the sink. One particularly vicious shard flew up and then came down right smack on my finger. I felt the impact, but not the slicing - I didn't even know I'd been cut until I saw blood in the sink. The offending shard was, unfortunately, from a dirty plate and I don't really want to get into what may or may not have been on it. Student health was closed and, anyway, lab accidents come with paperwork no one wants to deal with so I just wrapped the thing up, doubled my gloves, and finished what I was doing. It took a long time to fully heal. Almost as long as the nastiness on my elbow. It wasn't infect or anything. It's just, when you cut yourself deep and don't get anything done to help the process along, it takes a while to knit the wound back together. That's why people started using stitches in the first place.

I actually have a couple other scars on my right hand, again from broken glass, but none of those were stitching candidates.

I had a reminder to be careful around sulfuric acid on my elbow but it got covered up by the other thing. I've also fried the nerve-endings in my fingertips with liquid nitrogen. :/

Science is dangerous.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 22, 2009 16:38      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That was such a well-told story, Spaz Girl that it gave me chills. It reminded me of a time when a friend cut himself on a bunch of oyster shells. They cut him like razors.

<has another creeped out moment!>

Yuck.

But be thankful that your biology class did not kill you, that is for sure.

MOLECULAR BIOLOGY PROFESSOR DIES FROM PLAGUE RESEARCH

I have a lot of scars on my body, but they are not as interesting as biology accidents!

What do you think?

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
littlefish
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 966

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2009 09:24      Profile for littlefish   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have no science scars, but I have burnt myself with both heat and cold in the one day before (hot reactor, cold liquid nitrogen) I've always avoided chemical burns.

I've found that scars are fickle. Some of the worst I have are from very minor injuries, whereas the big injuries heal without a trace.

Posts: 2421 | From: That London | Registered: Nov 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 23, 2009 09:43      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have the ubiquitous "CD-ROM" scar on my left thumb. About 6 years ago (I guess), I was pulling the power cable out of a particularly stubborn CD-ROM drive when the cable let go and my thumb got sliced by a very sharp (and poorly designed) 90° angle bracket that was supporting the case. 5 stitches.

I also have a relatively new scar on my right hand where I burned myself on my toaster oven a few months ago.

So exciting! [shake head]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2009 16:18      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So there's a new update to this story. Tuesday I had to go back to the ER because I thought I was reacting badly to the antibiotic they had given me. Turns out I ended up with an infection in my foot due to the PA in the ER not giving me a dose of heavy IV antibiotics. Awesomely enough, the infectious disease doc was there and told me that I in fact needed to stay overnight, I thought I would be out in the morning, but no. Ended up being there until an hour or so ago. Everything is fine, it turned out not to be anything nasty, just an icky river bacteria. However they did take my stitches out, so now I'm going to have an awesome scar because they want my cut to heal from the inside out to prevent further infection.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 24, 2009 17:40      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh ick, sorry to hear that Spaz.

It's going to take around two months for that thing to fully scar over but the result will be something to talk about when the people who notice are bold enough to ask.

ETA: I used to just count myself lucky that my elbow wound didn't get infected, but that you've told your story I'm wondering if it wasn't because it was never stitched.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 25, 2009 12:49      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's very possible that's why it didn't. The doctor said had my foot not been stitched that I would have noticed the infection long before I needed to be admitted to the hospital.

Oh, and thanks for the well wishes guys! They've helped a lot.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 28, 2009 07:10      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad the infection got caught in time. Sorry about the big scar though.

I never maimed myself in a spectacular way in college. I did break my finger chasing my hat across a windy field at campus. When I told the doctor at the health center how I did it, he said it was a stupid way to break my finger and that I need a better cover story. He suggested telling everyone I was sailing on Lake Erie and the boom swung around. Made me wonder if he had broken his hand that way.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture