homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » 1940s period dress?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 1940s period dress?!
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 04:28      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So apparently, I'm going to a 1940's themed ball next week. Only problem is, I have no idea what 1940's male fashion was in the UK, and Google is no help whatsoever other than "wear a hat". I'm hoping one of you guys may be able to help? And no military dress ideas - it's a military ball full of military people, so I don't want people coming and asking me questions, especially given my general dislike of military types (other than the very tasty RAF lady who tried to recruit me the other day... But that's another story...)
Posts: 1141 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted August 24, 2009 04:35      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Go zazou. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zazou; http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zazou for an image; also use google image.) That will show clearly your affiliation.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 04:49      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Google for Foyles War for lots of early 1940s fashion pics.
 -

Bonus points if you go dressed as Sam.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10668 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 09:29      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did the zoot suit ever make it overseas?

Also, there's [url= http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Mens_Fashion_in_the_1940's]http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Mens_Fashion_in_the_1940's[/url] Granted, it has a US slant, but if you're going for the early 40's, when everyone was fighting, it has some good tips. I think the key is to remember to wear a hat and a tie and keep the suit simple.

ETA: Okay, I've tried six times now to fix the UBB code on that link. The edit is not taking. First I did the spiffy thing where you do the bracket-url=yadda yadda-close bracket words bracketed /url. But I made my classic mistake of putting a space between the = sign and the url. So I've tried to delete it and no joy. Then I tried to just link to the url without being spiffy and y'all can see that result. I hit "edit post" and the post gets reposted with the erroroenous url tag. Even after I deleted the whole thing and tried again. I put the url in my post by copying and pasting - is there some issue that's magically appeared and now we can't do that anymore?

I suppose technically I could try it again using Firefox but I am alarmed that a Mac-friendly site has suddenly started being mean to Safari.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 09:48      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Mens_Fashion_in_the_1940%27s

Shit, I tried the Link code and it got all screwy on my. Must be something in the code. Hopefully a plain link will work.

Also look up period movies and movie stars. They will give you a general idea on the styles of the time.

Posts: 2463 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 09:52      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
http://mens-fashion.lovetoknow.com/Mens_Fashion_in_the_1940's

Link really fixed (sorta)

Also, My suggestion... not -quite- 40s, but it's close and has a nice geek factor added.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 6 posted August 24, 2009 09:58      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:
Did the zoot suit ever make it overseas?

Actually, the "zazou" style was the French equivalent of the zoot suit - with the most notable difference that the pants are slim rather than large. [Geek]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 11:28      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I guess I can see that, Stereo. In my mind though, it was the pants that made the zoot suit what it was...and if you're going for the war-in-progress look, the patriots won't like it if you show up in a zoot suit. It was considered wasteful. Though it looks like (and I barely almost, not-quite remember enough French to read the zazou link) while the zazou also had a non-conformist edge, it had the very noble purpose of annoying the occupiers and their sympathizers.

Of course, you can also dress like Bogie. [Big Grin]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 24, 2009 20:17      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Stibbons!

I have an idea for you. It comes from some friends of mine that worked on big motion picture productions when Hollywood fancied a city I once lived in. These friends were producers of TV commercials.

Well two of the films were period pieces. One was based in the 1920s and the other in the early 1950s. Wanna know where they got a lot of costumes? At a used clothing store near a community with lots of older people.

The older folks would clear out their closets and some of the stuff was just great! I'd buy it for my wardrobe just to have fun.

So check out some places that might specialize in period clothing. The good ones can give you great direction and get you looking sharp enough to sit under the apple tree with all three Andrews sisters! Just don't tell the bugle boy from Company B!

Oh yeah. Dit dot dittom dottom wattum achoo!

I got a gal in K-A-L-A-M-Z-O-O!

Mr. Geek 2U

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture