homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » What else do you do when you own a V8 with glasspacks...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What else do you do when you own a V8 with glasspacks...
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2009 13:34      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
but video tape yourself revving up the motor!!

Y-block

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2009 16:45      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have never understood the attraction of extra loud mufflers on cars and bikes. I seem to be missing that gene.
Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2009 17:35      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________ Bibo __ From a bikers point of view we are invisible, it is not like we can turn off the CLOAKING DEVICE. However we can be heard, Loud Pipes Save Lives.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 17, 2009 22:49      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"What else do you do when you own a V8 with glasspacks..."

I would suggest A) Penis Enlargement or B) Try and remember you already made it through puberty, and grow up.

This "center of attention through annoyance" gene must be closely linked with one that makes people drive giant lifted trucks or {shudder} Hummers.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
maximile

SuperFan!
Member # 3446

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 04:40      Profile for maximile   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know what glasspacks are, but that is a very nice-looking dashboard.
Posts: 1085 | From: London, UK (Powys, UK in hols) | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 05:36      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Max

I /think/ glasspacks are what us Brits would call "fibreglass" body filler/repairs

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 05:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are glasspacks, you ask?
Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 07:43      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NoRealReason:

I would suggest A) Penis Enlargement or B) Try and remember you already made it through puberty, and grow up.

This "center of attention through annoyance" gene must be closely linked with one that makes people drive giant lifted trucks or {shudder} Hummers.

I definitely get older, but growing up is such a pain in the ass.

And I can see I am not the only one that owns a Hummer and a penis pump.

As steen said, glasspacks were fiberglass filled straight pipes. It tended to mellow out the tone of a motor, but didn't actually make them quiet.

I have been enjoying my exercises in stupidity. It is a wonderful mental break from doing stuff such as regression testing, or teaching Mac people that software can (and sometimes should) be modified. This is my therapy. While some people relax on the weekends, watching movies or working in the garden, I work on old technology. Sometimes it will be electrical, mechanical or restoring something that was left out to weather because something newer and shinier came along.

Annoying, possibly. But really on the same level as the street racers on the next block, the mechanic that works from home next door, or the web trolls I encounter on a regular basis.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 08:03      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_______________________ Any big Block with suitable induction systems and glasspacks is like strapping six inches on!!

Brute acceleration is addictive and is it's own drug.

1964 Catalina bored to 400ci, two AFBs and headers 12.1 in the quarter mile. Now that is some kind of high. Now you can't buy the fuel that thing needed 110 octane.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted May 18, 2009 15:26      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shroom - I want more vids of the truck on its way to being a useful and lovely vehicle once again.

NoRealReason - Lighten up. Jeez! [shake head] [shake head]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 08:14      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:

NoRealReason - Lighten up. Jeez! [shake head] [shake head]

NRR: What Grummy said.

quote:
Shroom's thread title: What else do you do when you own a V8 with glasspacks...
Shroom: You're gonna be asking people to repeat themselves a lot more often. They'll probably be asking you to pipe down a bit... Or so I hear...

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
NoRealReason
Mini Geek
Member # 6992

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 10:47      Profile for NoRealReason   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Annoying, possibly. But really on the same level as the street racers on the next block, the mechanic that works from home next door, or the web trolls I encounter on a regular basis.
Touche.

I am a little sensitive to fucktards riding around in really big, loud trucks and motorcycles. We have plenty around here, and the vast majority seem to go out of their way to endanger the lives of others. If your neighbors are safe and happy, then have at it.

Posts: 70 | From: Never you mind | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 11:03      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by NoRealReason:
I am a little sensitive to fucktards riding around in really big, loud trucks and motorcycles. We have plenty around here, and the vast majority seem to go out of their way to endanger the lives of others. If your neighbors are safe and happy, then have at it.

You do honestly have a point there. While yes, I was out screwing about and revving up the motor to the upper ranges. I will be honest in saying that this is more of an old street runner and is really not particularly loud when going through the paces at what would be considered an acceptable RPM range. This was also for the scope of about 5 minutes around noon on a weekend, so no late night loudness exercises, I never could stand that myself.

TBH, I think the neighbors, if they cared, would be more annoyed at the body work I have been doing than me running the motor. But again, while it is loud, I stop around dinnertime and always out of respect start working on it after 10 am. Just in case one of the neighbors are particularly hung over from the night before.

Now, I know some people just hate noise in general, but I will not stop what I am doing. I just make every effort, without changing myself, to do this stuff during hours that are considered somewhat respectable.

Good to see you gg. I am gonna pm you the new blog address. I killed the old one a little while back. And I see that you have been ordering some supplies. If this means that someone is going back into business, I can't wait. <drools>

MoMan, we have a highly modified FE block out back that may become the next project around here. There is a little mid-60's Ranchero down the street rotting away, that a punched out Ford would probably be a lot of fun to try fit inside.

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 13:24      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by CommanderShroom:

Good to see you gg. I am gonna pm you the new blog address. I killed the old one a little while back. And I see that you have been ordering some supplies. If this means that someone is going back into business, I can't wait. <drools>

Thanks Shroom. Couple cases of 6 left, regular or Spicy. $27.00/case + $10.00 shipping to US = $37.00. Let me know if you have an interest - I'll do a PayPal invoice and ship upon payment.

Meanwhile, where are you living these days? Still in Utah?

--------------------

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 18:34      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want one case of original and one of spicy, please. (Last time I asked, you said you hadn't any left!)

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 19, 2009 19:21      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
I want one case of original and one of spicy, please. (Last time I asked, you said you hadn't any left!)

There wasn't any at that time, Rhon, and little enough now. If you could email me at [email protected] with using your desired email address and provide your USPS mailing address, I'll send a PayPal invoice based on your order.

Any others, please step quickly to the plate! Orders filled in the sequence received.
Only available via the method above and only by the 6 jar case.

Thanks!

gg

--------------------

CommanderShroom
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted May 20, 2009 10:58      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Garlic Guy,

I am no longer in Utah, you can see where I am at from the Facebook page. Needless to say I am in the process of trying to get my car ready to transfer to the state, but gotta do some part purchases to get it compliant first. So I will have to get back to you on the case. Hopefully you will still have one hanging around when I can swing the green.

--------------------
Has one of us confessed?
Buried in our chest

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture