homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I just bought some new tech...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I just bought some new tech...
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 23, 2009 21:57      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing too exciting, but I decided to move toward improving the "system" (as my nephew would call it) in my bus. So I spent $5000 on a 14" subwoofer, a 1000W bridgeable amp to power it, another 1500W amp to power the 9" mid-range cones, and a 500W amp to power the 4" tweeters. It's a good thing I hacked in that GM 95amp alternator all those years ago. Of course, there's no room to sit in the bus anymore, but it sounds awesome when I come thumpin' down the block.

Hehe, okay, no, that's all one big bullshit lie.. except for the "improving the system" part. I *did* make a nice little purchase. I bought this little guy:  -

It's a Pyramid 903G, 10-band graphic EQ, complete with a 60W (RMS per channel) (100W per channel peak) amp built in. It even has little peak-level LED indicators. $35.93 including shipping.

This little baby should help me get the most out of that $18 set of speakers I bought at Wal-Mart 5 years ago.. and the stock 6x9's (from an old Oldsmobile, it looks like) I got for free from a friend of my nephew's when he upgraded *his* "system." Heh.

Edit to add: Oh yeah, and it will truly compliment the $25 Optimus brand cassette deck (auto-reverse FTW!) that I have as a head unit. I'm kind of proud, in a weird, twisted way, of my absolutely ghetto system. The only thing better would be an 8-track player with a cassette adapter in it that had within *it* a CD-cassette adapter...

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 02:39      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
________________________ MMKK __ Today is Freeland's Walleye days and yard sale days, If I see one I will attempt to snatch it up. What is your highest price?

While you were describing your hoax I kept thinking that you would need three or four batteries to handle peaks. And a spare engine to turn the Alt. or an (APU)

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 11:34      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Haha, I was going to give you props for, er, propping up the economy with your purchase, but then I got to the actual outlay. Not much propping going on there! [crazy]

Still, there's something to be said for a frugal, cobbled-together "system". Good luck working an 8-track player into the mix [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 12:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK: I'm not a violent person, but I'd have had to kick your arse if you spent that much on the *audio* in your van. ;P Furthermore, it'd probably mean that you gave up your ethics if you had that much to spend so freely...and that's not very free-spirited, now is it?

Glad to hear you've given the van a /little/ love. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 13:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
The only thing better would be an 8-track player with a cassette adapter in it that had within *it* a CD-cassette adapter...

If you can rig that I will bow down and worship you as a god.

My little POS Subaru came withouta radio so I bought some cheap shit on E-bay. It came with a schematic, but, fortunately, kreziserb is an electrical engineer and he can read those things in his sleep. He installed the whole thing for me. We had to rip apart the dash to do it though. And, uh, the antenna on my car was gone when the owner before me bought it so picking up radio is a bit sketchy. Except on cloudy nights. Also, for one reason or another, kreziserb couldn't or wouldn't get the display on the radio rigged up so I have no idea what my dial position is even when I can get a signal. [Roll Eyes] The radios with CD players cost more than I wanted to pay so mine has a casette deck. I used and adapter to play CDs. The adapter also works with iPods so I do that as well. I've even got a cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I can keep my iPod charged. I never leave my iPod in the car, so if anyone ever breaks into my car for my "system" I will laugh my ass off and then feel sorry for them.

Now that I have a job with decent pay, my entire family is leaning on me to get a new car. But I'm sticking with my POS Subaru for now. It runs. And it plays tunes. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 15:04      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
MMKK: I'm not a violent person, but I'd have had to kick your arse if you spent that much on the *audio* in your van. ;P Furthermore, it'd probably mean that you gave up your ethics if you had that much to spend so freely...and that's not very free-spirited, now is it?

Yeah, ain't that the truth! I was really concerned, MMKK, that you had made a really unwise decision. Having a small inkling of your financial situation, I was quite worried that you had done something stupid. I'm so glad that's not the case! [Applause]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 15:57      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MMKK - That is a nice purchase. I don't understand why people spend ridiculous amount om money on massive power amps for vehicles. 60W(RMS) per channel is more than enough for most domestic situations and will give you plenty of headroom.

You know that the key to a good sound is good eq - and not simply buying more Watts.

I remember when (probably in the early 80's) graphic equalizers crossed over from nerd-tech to mainstream. Every stereo in the shops suddenly had a 10-band graphic eq......and the cheap shit ones had a 3-band eq with 7 dummy sliders because that still looked cool- didn't it?
[Big Grin]

I also remember the first time I saw a seriously expensive 10-band per channel eq with a tiny green LED in each slider......when you chose an eq preset on the remote and watched all the sliders move into position - Jeez, I didn't think anything could be cooler than that!
[Smile]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 16:52      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________ MMKK __ I did not find any Eight Track units, I did not even find any Eight track tapes, I did find one of those walkman to Cassette insert things that has a male ear-phone jack and a tape head to make the tape play play.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 18:32      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoooo... what a day.. I think it was almost 80°F out today! I got the EQ installed. Equalization and the added power make a HUGE difference. I can cruise at highway(ish) speeds and I barely have the radio up 25% of the way on the volume knob... used to run at 100% for 55MPH+.

So I have rear speakers that sound much better. I ripped my front doors apart because I was going to stick the 6x9's that my nephew gave me into the front door... but when I hooked them up they didn't work. Upon further inspection I saw it clearly printed on the back of the speaker: 8Ω! *sigh*

So I splurged and spent $23.34 (incl. tax) on a set of new 6x9's that claim they can handle "400W." Ohh.. suure they can... upon further inspection of the box that's 400W per set.. instantaneous peak. Means 200W peak per speaker, and it'd better be a short peak. Ah well, they look pretty. [Razz]

To make a long story short, I was unable to figure out exactly *how* to mount them in my front doors. I have a few ideas, but I ran out of daylight (and the hardware store closed) before I was able to implement them. Heh...

Oh.. long day.. sore knees, back, legs, ankles... but I feel good. [Smile]

Shower time.... [Big Grin]

Edit to add: oh yeah, and if you add it up: $25 head unit, $35 EQ/amp, $18 rear spks, $23 front spks.. I now have a $100+ "system." [Eek!]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2009 21:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quoth Xanthine:
The adapter also works with iPods so I do that as well. I've even got a cable that plugs into the cigarette lighter so I can keep my iPod charged. I never leave my iPod in the car, so if anyone ever breaks into my car for my "system" I will laugh my ass off and then feel sorry for them.

FYI: If you're concerned about security, keep the cables out of sight as well. Modern thieves look for *anything* that looks like you have a GPS: Suction cups on the windshield, or marks that look like them; charger cables; audio cables.

I'd like to think this is less of an issue in your locale, but a friend of mine got his car broken into (in Queens) last summer because of his iPod charger cable. It really sucked the big one for him because he had to replace two pieces of glass, as the first one they tried couldn't get them to the door lock. They didn't take anything, as there obviously wasn't anything of value to take -- just the indications of it.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
tim-e
Geek Larva
Member # 22073

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted May 14, 2009 00:57      Profile for tim-e     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
6x9's in doors? :S weird. 6.5" splits ftw. [Cool]

I haven't touched the system in my car yet (Honda Accord Euro, known to you guys as the Acura TSX) because it's quite nice, but I may get some Boston Acoustics or Morel speakers to slot in place of what's there, and hide an amp under each seat to drive them. Then some DSP alignment because the way it feels isn't quite how I like it.

Posts: 26 | From: Sydney, AU | Registered: Sep 2008  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture