homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » In the Army

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: In the Army
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 07:17      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been in the Army now for just over 2 years. I know it doesn't feel that long at all. But something I notice on my dills is that we are geekier then most people think. It's not ALL doing PT and drinking. There still is a lot of those two things but there is something that I see every soldier brings. And I know it's not just my unit, last summer I worked the ranges a lot helping other soldiers qualify their weapons. And there where a lot of mixed units and they brought the same stuff.

The three things I noticed people bringing up was a Laptop and most are the pretty high end kind. And at least 4 in my unit of about 70 has a Mac and even one or two with Linux installed. Then you see everyone has their iPod and they all have Smart phones. And we all use them a lot. We use Wiki to look things up. We also talk about video games there are some soldiers that even do raids together in WoW.

So just in case you where wondering what Army life is like, it's just like regular life but you don't have to pick out your clothes.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 07:44      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Geeks with guns. Now there is a thought.

Where are you stationed now, Mac D? If there was only a Camp Cupertino. [Wink]

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 14, 2009 07:46      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm guard so my Unit is out of St. Cloud MN and we drill at Camp Ripley near Little Falls MN.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture