homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Happy Christmas... so what did you get! (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Happy Christmas... so what did you get!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 11:41      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
stringlion: I'm quite certain it won't actually spoil much. :-)
(There's a small mention of something in the past, but I don't think it would mean much if you've seen that little.)

It's really an outsized-budget version of Doctor Who episode, meant to please many, and keep people at bay until 2010! (Couldn't we at least get Torchwood?! At least there was SJA season 2, but...*whimpers*)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 14:24      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac Geek:
Santa bought me (very narcissistic) A Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera (22mp glory!)

Jonathan,

In today's forward-thinking, more environmentally aware world, have you not learned to use only what you need?

22 mega-pixels?! Just the word "mega" itself seems so SUV in a bold, new, Toyota Prius world. And pixels? Really, do you KNOW how many pixies are harvested to make just ONE pixel? Hmmm? FIFTY!

That's right Pixie and the Roman Numeral for fifty (L) were combined to create "PIXEL", or very literally "Fifty Pixies."

In a more ignorant, environmentally less-aware time, I used to dust for Pixies. Not with pixie dust, either, usually used a combination of carbaryl and malathion would take them right out.

Not any more. Today, Pixies are endangered. That's why we need to conserve them and avoid being too ostentatious with their use and abuse.

And, that's why Santa brought me a Nikon D-90 Camera that uses a much more environmentally friendly 12 mega-pixels.

That's about a quarter billion fewer dead pixies my friend. And that can make a difference when you need a little magic in your life.

Disappointedly,

Colonel Panic

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2008 15:51      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
stringlion: I'm quite certain it won't actually spoil much. :-)
(There's a small mention of something in the past, but I don't think it would mean much if you've seen that little.)

It's really an outsized-budget version of Doctor Who episode, meant to please many, and keep people at bay until 2010! (Couldn't we at least get Torchwood?! At least there was SJA season 2, but...*whimpers*)

alright, I'll believe you.
It doesn't really matter, I've seen 2 or 3 episodes of series 3, and 0 of 2.

I thought I heard there was going to be like 5 specials in 2009...

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:25      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by stringlion:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
and my evening brightened with a Christmas special that has left me peeking out from behind the couch.

It was quite good, wasn't it? I'm going to miss David Tennant. Any word yet on who "the next Doctor" will be?
I only watched half of the christmas special, as I've only seen like 3 episode of Doctor Who with David Tennant, and I didn't want to see too much. (I just started watching the show a little while ago.)
I second what Dman said. I don't think there were any spoilers in it. It stood alone pretty well.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 03:26      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colonel Panic:
quote:
Originally posted by Mac Geek:
Santa bought me (very narcissistic) A Canon EOS 5D Mark II camera (22mp glory!)

Jonathan,

In today's forward-thinking, more environmentally aware world, have you not learned to use only what you need?

22 mega-pixels?! Just the word "mega" itself seems so SUV in a bold, new, Toyota Prius world. And pixels? Really, do you KNOW how many pixies are harvested to make just ONE pixel? Hmmm? FIFTY!

That's right Pixie and the Roman Numeral for fifty (L) were combined to create "PIXEL", or very literally "Fifty Pixies."

In a more ignorant, environmentally less-aware time, I used to dust for Pixies. Not with pixie dust, either, usually used a combination of carbaryl and malathion would take them right out.

Not any more. Today, Pixies are endangered. That's why we need to conserve them and avoid being too ostentatious with their use and abuse.

And, that's why Santa brought me a Nikon D-90 Camera that uses a much more environmentally friendly 12 mega-pixels.

That's about a quarter billion fewer dead pixies my friend. And that can make a difference when you need a little magic in your life.

Disappointedly,

Colonel Panic

[Big Grin]

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 29, 2008 18:20      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My employer gave me a fully unlocked, developer edition G1. It may not be an iPhone killer, but I'm quite pleased with it.
Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac Geek
Geek-in-Training
Member # 25023

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 01, 2009 17:52      Profile for Mac Geek   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I do admit to the Mass killing of Pixels, I have purchased the equivalent in Pixie Carbon credits.
Since pixies make pixie dust that makes pixels, the equivalent of 22,000 pixies will generate the Millions and millions of Pixels I will be using during the life of my camera, so I have a Zero Pixel footprint!

Eco-Comically yours,
Jonathan

--------------------
Mac Geek Member # 25023
"I am not a Number, I am a FREE MAN"

Posts: 33 | From: Brooklyn, NY | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 05, 2009 09:30      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Remember those rectangular shaped entities that have flaps on both sides that allow users to flap them and, in conjunction with saccadian motion, allow them to infer a salient narrative structure through syntax and lexicon?

Do you?

I got lots of them... it was a very tech-free Xmas... though I did get an electronic photo frame... AUGH! I'll NEVER be a Luddite!!!! NEVER!! [weep] [weep]

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture