homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » DigitalBill at 50

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: DigitalBill at 50
Double D
Geek Larva
Member # 786

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 10:15      Profile for Double D   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Some of you may remember or have known my brother, DigitalBill Douthett. He was one of the hosts of the Wizards of Technology podcast, host of the Update Wizard podcast, frequent GC poster, alpha geek, and all-around good guy.

Well, today would be his 50th birthday, so I'm going about to a few forums to throw his name and memory around a bit in honor of the day.

If you knew or appreciated Bill, I invite you to do something geeky in his honor today. But he was also one who loved to help out friends in need, so if you do that, it would be even better.

I'm making a donation to hurricane relief in his name at http://www.pcusa.org/pda/ and you are welcome to do the same or something else you think he would appreciate.

If you didn't know him, google "DigitalBill Douthett" and you'll find some stuff about him.

Thanks for your consideration, and "stay subscribed!"

--------------------
--D2--

"Love is the nonpossessive delight in the particularities of the other." -- Dr. James E. Loder

Posts: 20 | From: West-By-God-Virginia | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 12:38      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy Birthday Digital Bill, we miss you dearly. Thinking of you all the time, especially with MacWorld Expo coming up! Wish you were here. [Happytears]
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted December 12, 2008 13:30      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Happy birthday DigitalBill. There's still not a day go by that when I fire up iChat, I wish you were online.

Posting this from my iPhone, which I really wish DB was around to see. [weep]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 14:10      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I never knew DigitalBill.

When I joined GC, I read a few of his posts but I was a n00b and didn't say much.

What I do know is the love and respect that he enjoyed amongst GC people. So, if the people I respect thought that DigitalBill was a good man, then that's enough for me.

It really does seem to be that, far too often, the good people go too soon.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 15:32      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash, I hear ya. That's why I get a little down at Christmas time. It seems every year there's someone near and dear to me that isn't around anymore, and it sucks. It's the hardest part of getting older, that's for sure. I have to say, Double D has given us a great honour to let us in on remembering Digital Bill and marking special occasions. / me hugs Double D. Thank you for that, dude, you are always welcome here. Ok, now I'm crying!

/me sets up the bowl of spiked punch and trays of tiny little or dourves, Who's bringing the cake?

DoctorWho

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 392

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 15:46      Profile for DoctorWho     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I really liked DB and think it's only fitting that we take some time to remember him and celebrate his life on this day. Happy 50th Birthday DigitalBill.

-

--------------------
Laughter is like changing a baby's diapers. It doesn't solve anything but it sure improves the situation. Leo F. Buscaglia

Posts: 1694 | From: The TARDIS | Registered: Apr 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 21:47      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In honour of DB I vow to go 'regimental' for the rest of the weekend.

'Up yer kilt!'

Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 13, 2008 14:07      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's funny I was just looking in some old photos this week and saw one of Bill that he had shared of his latest kilt acquisition. [Smile] I remember the time he got out to California for MacWorld and visited the set of the Screensavers. He and Patrick Norton were both utilikilt fans.

miss you DB

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture