homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Saddest songs of all time!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Saddest songs of all time!
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 07:02      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK folks, last week I brought you the top 100 singers of all time, now I present to you, the top 25 saddest songs. I obviously have too much time on my hands, I should really be studying for finals..
Here you go...
http://www.spinner.com/2007/05/03/the-25-most-exquisitely-sad-songs-in-the-whole-world-no-25/

Now, what's missing???

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 09:21      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's missing? That list all on one page! [Mad] [Geek]

There's a Christmas song they left off... you know, that one about the cat. [Razz]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 14:07      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I gave up around number eight..... I really wanted a single list as well! [Mad]

This means that I don't know whether a couple of obvious candidates made it onto the list:

"Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks
"Old Shep" by Elvis P
[weep] [weep] [weep]

[Razz] [Razz] [Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 14:17      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You bunch of sissy's!
The list takes two seconds to preview!!!
[Razz]

--------------------

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 30, 2008 15:15      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash: Seasons in the Sun... awesome.

I'd put Hurt as sung by Cash somewhere on there too.

Geeky-goodness [Razz] : where on earth is this preview?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 15:44      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
geekygoddess - possessive apostrophe????? [Eek!] Just sayin'.

Snaggy - 'Hurt' by the Man in Black is one of those wonderful cover versions which are so much better than the original. OK, so Cash didn't write it, but he understood it much more than Mr Reznor ever will.

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 16:40      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, boys!
Since you are both too impatient to look through the stinkin' list I will tell you that "Hurt" by Cash, not Reznor is number 4! Does that make up for my punctuation error Grummy?

Oh, and Snaggs, I love my new pet name, Geeky-goodness, I may have to use that! [Big Grin]

--------------------

quantumfluff
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 450

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 16:49      Profile for quantumfluff     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The web site is too painful to browse through. The rendering is bad on firefox and I don't want to sit through 25 pages to find 25 items.

That said, are they going for saddest, or most depressing. Did the have "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" on the list? That's way up there on the most depressing songs list.

Posts: 2902 | From: 5 to 15 meters above sea level | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 21:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Based on the above, I'm not even going to visit the site. [Razz]

Sounds to me like a ploy for ad $$$.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2008 23:13      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd certainly vote for "The Wreck of the Edmond Fitzgerald" , but do the Pink Floyd tracks "The Gunner's Dream" or "When the Tigers broke free" feature on the list? They should.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2008 00:30      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
<sings>
♫ For me and my true love will never meet again
On the bonnie bonnie banks o' Loch Lomond ♪
</sings>

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2008 11:07      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No patience for the slow loading pages...

Here are mine:

Alone Again Naturally - Gilbert O'Sullivan
My Mummy's Dead - John Lennon
Any Joy Division Song - Joy Division
Withered And Died - Fairport Convention or Elvis Costello (as The Imposter)
The Butcher Boy - Sinnead O'Conner

And I second Seasons In The Sun by Terry Jacks

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 01, 2008 14:18      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GMx - my Fairport/Sandy Denny choice would be "Farewell,Farewell".

....and what about "The Black Swan" by Jake Thackray???

--------------------

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 01, 2008 14:34      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My favorite sad song is on there, "Brick" by Ben Folds. Which they also happen to be responsible for my favorite break up song as well. "Give me my sweater back, you bitch!" Otherwise known as "song for the dumped" Classic!

--------------------

neotatsu
Member # 1429

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 05:47      Profile for neotatsu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only song that makes me cry is "Patience" by Guns n' Roses... Every time I hear it, or even think of it my mind is filled with all the happy times, and the sad times... Times spent waiting in the cold, and times spent cozy, snuggled on the couch.

My first and lost love [Happytears]

--------------------
I'm curious... About what, you ask? EVERYTHING!

Posts: 2239 | From: Western WA | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 10:30      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
GMx - my Fairport/Sandy Denny choice would be "Farewell,Farewell".

....and what about "The Black Swan" by Jake Thackray???

Oh, I made a mistake on Withered and Died. It was by Richard and linda thompson, not Fairport Convention. Close, though. [Wink]
And I forgot Shannon by Henry Gross. Nothing like a song about a dog that has died to make you sad.

Posts: 5848 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2008 12:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by GMx:

Alone Again Naturally - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Yay! That's my choice (although it always cheers me up -- 'cos it's so pathetic). [Smile]
Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Napo
Newbie Larva
Member # 24793

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 12, 2008 08:53      Profile for Napo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the list even when it's not all on one page [crazy]
Great recommendations of all the others, now I have a huge "to-Download" List hehe

One track I would definitely add is Portishead - Roads
Besides the fact that nearly all of Portishead's Songs are great, this is the saddest of all. Give it a listen here

Mr_Shivan182
Newbie Larva
Member # 25090

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 13:57      Profile for Mr_Shivan182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Atmosphere by Joy Division.
Mandolin Rain by Bruce Hornsby.

--------------------
"Drugs are just bad mmm'kay,"

Posts: 5 | From: West Yorkshire | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
joliet_jane
Alpha Geek
Member # 818

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 19, 2008 15:05      Profile for joliet_jane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's a crime that Peter Gabriel's "Mercy Street" isn't on this list. [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UG75ucMYg-s

The song is about suicidee poet Anne Sexton, and the lyrics allude to her sexual abuse at the hands of her own parents. The harmonies are also bone-chilling.

--------------------
Please Visit http://www.wideweb.com/phonetrips/
And for Phun on the Phone:
http://www.Telephone-Entertainment.com/

Posts: 330 | From: PA | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged
Batrico
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 25156

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 21, 2008 02:01      Profile for Batrico     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Chris Isaak could fill the list all by himself, but I vote to add at least 'The End of Everything', 'Forever Blue' and, of course, 'Somebody's Cryin'' , all on the best single-artist breakup album EVER -- and it was released the very month my first and only marriage ended.

Unless we're excluding country, Hank Williams 'Good Year for the Roses' needs to be here; the Costello cover is worthy of considering, too.

Related to Hank Williams, 'Long White Cadillac' is a high-paced tear-jerker for your rowdier sadness.

Some think it campy, others childish, but if you've ever truly had your heart stomped, High Noon's 'I'm Done, I'm Through' still tears into my heart.

At the risk of being controversial, I also have to add 'The Ballad of The Green Berets'. I used to cry endlessly as a child when this was played.

About the same time was Wayne Newton's 'Daddy Don't You Walk So Fast.'

Along the same line is 'Memphis, Tennessee' from Chuck Berry.

Harry Nilsson also knows how to jerk some tears; try listening to 'Turn On Your Radio', then think of a friend whose died, and get out the kleenex. Same album gives us 'Remember'; and, while hopeful, is also quite sad (perhaps it's more sentimental than sad?). And then there's the over-the-top schmaltz of 'Can't Live Without You'; again, you must truly have been wrecked to appreciate the real emotion behind the pop.

I see the list gave an honorable mention to Roy Orbison's 'Cryin''; try listening to the Spanish a cappella version by Rebecca Del Rio and then resist slitting your wrists.

'The First Cut is the Deepest' (any cover) is worthy of inclusion.

And speaking of Rod Stewart, 'I Was Only Joking', and 'Maggie May' sure has a narcissism to it that, upon inspection, is quite sad.

How on earth did Clapton's 'Heaven' not make that top 25??? For God's sake, his son had to DIE for that song to be written.

And, on the flip side, maybe it's just way too old, or the fact it's been covered over a hundred times in different ways, but who doesn't cry at ANY version of 'Danny Boy'? Or do you have to be Irish to get teary even when Harry Connick, Jr. makes you boogie-woogie to a dying father's lament?

I could go on and on, but I'll close with The Blasters 'Leaving'; an introspective love song about a man who spends a long lonely night in bed with his lover, realizing he'll never do better than the sleeping woman next to him, no matter how easy it is 'to slip right out that door.' Our sadness is not for the teller.

Sadrico

--------------------
"I wish I were an Oscar Mayer Weiner."

Posts: 1 | From: Everywhere | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged
Colonel Panic
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1200

Icon 1 posted December 22, 2008 20:57      Profile for Colonel Panic         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Batrico,

For all your in-depth commentary on the state of sad songs -- and looking at your marital history you have good reason to be expert on the subject -- you missed a really big one.

And the sad part is that the truly saddest song of all time lies sitting there in your signature. That's right, the "Oscar Meyer Wiener Song".

Think about some poor, lonely child, so starved for the love of those around him, or her, that this child would prefer to be a few ounces of ground-up pig lips and butt-holes.

Sad, isn't it? Even sadder, is the day we open our mail to read "You may already be a wiener." And that is when we realize we are most likely a loser.

I gotta go. I'm getting choked up.

CP

--------------------
Free! Free at last!

Posts: 1809 | From: Glacier Melt, USA | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted December 23, 2008 01:01      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Perfect Day" by Lou Reed may sound as a soft, lovely, somewhat foolish, ballad. But theres more inside the composition: it's pretty dark, gloom. That song is for me the anti-happy song, whenever I expect things to turn out right and they do the opposite, I have that song in mind.
Duran Duran's cover has been praised by Reed himself as the best cover ever made of his songs, and it pretty much does justice to the original; it just keeps the pace slow, lowers the tone, and all fades to black.
"You made me forget myself, I thought I was someone else, someone good."

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture