homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I've been warned

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I've been warned
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 16:50      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just a bit of fun from my day...

HR Person: Hi, come in and sit down.

Me: *sits*

HR: Do you know why I had to call you in here?

Me: The bit in the break room?

HR: Yes. We had a complaint that you used inappropriate language.

Me: Well... yeah. I suppose it was inappropriate.

HR: Why don't you tell me your side of the story?

Me: Okay. I was heating up a microwave dinner. One of the Michelena's ones that comes in a cardboard container that you pull one corner up on?

HR: *nods*

Me: I pulled up one corner and Marge, who was there too, was joking with me and said "Uh-oh... you pulled up the wrong corner. Now it'll taste funny because you didn't follow directions."

HR: *nods some more*

Me: And I responded by going...
Me *repeats the maniacal laughter*
Me: I'm an evil, maniacal bastard! Today I'm destroying lunch, tomorrow the world!
Me: *more maniacal laughter*

HR: *suppress her giggles and stares intently at the desk*

At least two or three minutes pass. Every time she looks up and sees me smiling and trying not to laugh, she starts giggling and has to look away again. When she finally gets it under control, she's almost crying from the suppressed laughter.

HR: Well, you know that's not appropriate language, right?

Me: Yes.

HR: Next time say evil villain or something, okay?

Me: It doesn't have the same ring to it, but okay.

HR: Unfortunately I have to put a note in your file that says someone complained that you said bastard in the break room, but I'm going to put that you said it in a joke and we'll just forget about this, okay?

Me: Sounds good to me.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 16:58      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
you honestly have to put up with nonsense like that??? Geez! [Confused]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 17:15      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it's a corporate environment, so there's always a bit of idiocy. This was a particularly silly example of it, though... even the HR lady thought so (and her two minute giggling fit was delightful).

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 17:31      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well, at least you have the consolation that the HR lady was not totally immune to the silliness of the matter.

But my worry is this... if HR handles insignificant issues such as your comment in that manner....how will they cope if something unususal happens???

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

geekygoddess
Highlie
Member # 15702

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 17:43      Profile for geekygoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen, what were you thinking you maniacal bastard? You know better than using that kind of [email protected] langauge! Hopefully, you can learn something from this and not be such a potty mouth! Those damned Michelina's meals...

--------------------
"It is better to press ones shirt, than ones luck"- Confucius

Posts: 661 | From: Edinburgh, United Kingdom | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 18:36      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually if it was the Michelena's Salisbury Steak meal I wouldn't be surprised if it took over the
world on its own accord. That thing is evil.

<me walks off mumbling about 5 for $5 lunches...>

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 18:43      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
if HR handles insignificant issues such as your comment in that manner....how will they cope if something unususal happens

HR didn't really have a choice. All complaints have to be recorded (but a complaint is not equal to a verbal or written warning... those matter) and investigated. Corporate policy meant to ensure fairness.

HalfVast wrote:
Actually if it was the Michelena's Salisbury Steak meal I wouldn't be surprised if it took over the world on its own accord. That thing is evil.

It was the Michelina's Lean Gourmet Chicken Alfredo Florentine. For semi-diet food, it's not bad. Maybe 20% bad, but not half bad [Smile]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 19:31      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh my god!

That is hilarious. Who turned you in? Can I give them a wedgie or is that their problem?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 21, 2008 21:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
FFS...that's pitiful - 'tis a damn shame that some people have no sense of humor.

I was trying to enjoy a cup of coffee midday today, and had someone less than 10 feet away calling her 'friend' a 'f*cking b*tch' to her face. BTW, these were middle-aged women, and it was strange to say the least. I'd like to see your 'reporter' there turn 5 shades of red. [Wink]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Jace Raven

Member # 2444

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 04:06      Profile for Jace Raven         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's corporate BS like this that makes me happy that I work and live in the line that I do.

Honestly, how do you put up with this political bull.

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted November 22, 2008 09:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
lmao. [Big Grin] [Applause]
Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 10:09      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen -

That is indeed a funny tale. Too bad it's true.

My recommendation is that you (we all) should move to a free country.

Kindly suggest one if such still exists on this globe of ours.

[Razz]

Posts: 3752 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Zwilnik

Member # 615

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 10:15      Profile for Zwilnik   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Technically all you needed to do was bring in the relevant (faked in necessary) certificates etc. to prove your parents weren't married at the time of your birth and you could have claimed it was appropriate language, being technically correct.

--------------------
The Universe is entirely made up of elements.
The most important of which is the element of surprise.

Posts: 1040 | From: West Sussex, UK | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 13:35      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's strange... My place of work is about as corporate as it gets (a very large financial service firm,) yet we drop enough f-bombs to destroy the world many times over and no one seems to give a flying fsck about it.
Posts: 1094 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 16:21      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by zesovietrussian:
That's strange... My place of work is about as corporate as it gets (a very large financial service firm,) yet we drop enough f-bombs to destroy the world many times over and no one seems to give a flying fsck about it.

Keywords FINACIAL SERVICE FIRM. F-bombs expected but not to be heard by clients... In todays economic downturn I can see it raining F-bombs

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 16:24      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you're still working ZSR!

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 22, 2008 16:51      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by macmcseboy:
Keywords FINANCIAL SERVICE FIRM. F-bombs expected but not to be heard by clients... In todays economic downturn I can see it raining F-bombs

I am in financial services and I can say that you are exactly right! The mute button on the telephone is my best friend! [Razz]

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture