homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The irritant in my life (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: The irritant in my life
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 2 posted July 07, 2008 08:39      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I want money! Or more exactly - I want a nice house, with quality furniture, and many good bookcases to hold lots of great books! And a hothouse, too, if possible.

Please forgive this cry from my heart - I am getting tired of my cramped appartment. Tired of having someone walk over my head without care, so I regularly hear the "thump-thump-thump" of their paces. Tired to severly limit my DDR usage because I am considerate for my downstair neighbour. Also tired of borrowed or hand-me-down furniture that doesn't quite fit my need, complemented by Ikea ones that aren't so bad, but not great either. (Even when full wood, mass-produced softwood furnitures will never have the strenght nor beauty of well crafted hardwood ones.)

And the worst? I know there is no easy answers, no such thing as a legit get-rich-quick solution. (Well, there's lottery, but the chances are that saving the equivalent money will get me rich faster than buying tickets.) So I'll continue to endure this irritant for a while, like a pebble in my shoe I can't take out until I'm done walking this road. Gahhh! [Mad] When is the next crossroad?

Ok, so I've got that out of my chest. Feel free to share your own irritants. (I'd also take suggestions, if you have any.)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 08:51      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stereo:
I want money! Or more exactly - I want a nice house, with quality furniture, and many good bookcases to hold lots of great books! And a hothouse, too, if possible.

That's just stuff, man -- you don't really need it. It's spiritual longing masquerading as materialism (that's all materialism is, dude -- a manifestation of some deeper emotional issue). You're projecting an inner woe onto inanimate objects -- that ain't gonna cut it. Things can't make you happy, man.

Look at me... I didn't get where I am today by having "things"... ( *cries hopelessly into his huge pillow* )

Okay, I'm being absurd, but there is a grain of truth to my nonsense, ain't there? I find myself endlessly confused by the way people hoard possessions -- and take out big stinking loans for them. It's like Carlin once said (or somebody like that) -- we all work hard at jobs we hate to pay through the nose for shit we don't need. [Smile]

edit: Sorry -- to clarify, house important, things not.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6520 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 08:54      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you have OK credit? If you do, go to your bank and get pre-approved for a no-down payment mortgage. Basically, you have to pay a higher interested rate (the posted rate) so they can recoup the costs of the downpayment they make for you over the course of the 5 year fixed term. Armed with that, buy a house. You can buy a cheaper fixer-upper (and in Gatineau, prices are actually reasonable). Then, you have a mortgage to pay instead of rent, and extra money you have can be spent renovating and making the place worth more. Then, you can sell it, buy a permanent house that's more to your tastes, and have more money for nice well crafted hardwood furniture. [Smile]
Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 09:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The thing that I've always found surprising is how little difference in price there is between a nasty sh1tehole apartment, and a quite nice one.

Once you're in a place you like, the Ikea furniture won't bother you much.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10434 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 09:43      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo: Many people have basically said that, but that particular phrasing sounds most like Tyler Durden's bar rant in Fight Club.

But really....stuff just isn't all it's cracked up to be. The sooner you come to realize that, the easier your life becomes. Find a nice place, and enjoy what you've got. [Smile]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 10 posted July 07, 2008 09:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kill the upstairs and downstairs neighbors and then install stairs.

Three times the space, no footsteps overhead and you can play DDR to your heart's content. There's a good chance they'll also have better furniture that you can start using.

You'd know these things if you'd read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6361 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 09:52      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
That's just stuff, man -- you don't really need it. It's spiritual longing masquerading as materialism (that's all materialism is, dude -- a manifestation of some deeper emotional issue). You're projecting an inner woe onto inanimate objects -- that ain't gonna cut it. Things can't make you happy, man.

Honestly, I couldn't have expressed it any better myself... only difference is that I'm not saying it tongue-in-cheek...
Posts: 2329 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 09:55      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
spungo: Many people have basically said that, but that particular phrasing sounds most like Tyler Durden's bar rant in Fight Club.

Thank you! I remember that now. [Smile]

MMK -- It's only semi-tongue-in-cheek. I do sorta follow it... except when it comes to IT hardware. [Wink]

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6520 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 12 posted July 07, 2008 10:27      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
DNF: I should have added this little thing: I actually own my appartment (condo). And the difference between its resale value and my current mortgage would make a nice 20% down-payment (on a reasonably sized house, nothing fancy). So, I _could_ just throw up my arms a go crazy and buy a house. Just as a hiker could try doing the balance-exercise of taking off his shoe to take out the pebble without puting down his backpack. But there are risks of ending worse.

I'll be done paying my car in a year or so. This would free up money I could put on a new mortgage. I still have to "pay back" the RRSP I used as a down-payment for my condo-appartment, but it's not too bad. I guess part of my irritation is that I feel I am being too carefull, and would like to go crazy for once. But at the same time, it takes just a miscalculation to go too far into debt, and end up losing everything. Buying a house would mean higher mortgage payments, and I'm not sure I could make them right now. (Unless I go for a longer term, but then I lose more money to interest - a lot more.) So I choose to wait, and endure some more. Curse my need for safety.

Spungo: yes, you're right up to a point. If I had such a full life that I would only go home to sleep (or not? [Wink] ), I probably wouldn't resent my current situation as much. But my life is rather boring, so I'd like to live in a place I would feel comfortable and could vent off my frustrations, rather than pile up some more. Maybe I should look into a new, more fulfilling job? (If only I knew what kind of job to look for.)

Steen: Unfortunately, I would likely end up living in a little room with no DDR at all for 10-15 years... [Big Grin]

quote:
But really....stuff just isn't all it's cracked up to be. The sooner you come to realize that, the easier your life becomes. Find a nice place, and enjoy what you've got. [Smile]

So you say that instead of wishing to be rich, I should better aim to find a rich husband? [Big Grin]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 10:46      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

quote:

So you say that instead of wishing to be rich, I should better aim to find a rich husband? [Big Grin]
How the heck did you read that in what I wrote?!

Gaaaaaah! That's half the reason I'm thinking I might not want to go out with this one girl...I'm pretty sure she wants far too many things, and I like being able to live without debt.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9195 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 10:49      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

You'd know these things if you'd read The Seven Habits of Highly Effective Pirates.

Fscking 'ell...I really hate Wikipedia some days....

--------------------

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted July 07, 2008 11:15      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:

quote:

How the heck did you read that in what I wrote?!
Answer: too much imagination - far too much imagination. (I was just looking for an opportunity to plug the only valid get-rich-quick scheme that I know; it takes a lot of efforts to make it work, but you get the reward from the start rather than just at the end... [Big Grin] )
quote:
Gaaaaaah! That's half the reason I'm thinking I might not want to go out with this one girl...I'm pretty sure she wants far too many things, and I like being able to live without debt.

To my credit, I do pay my only card in full each month. This must hold some value? [crazy] (Time for a punfest, everyone?)

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 07, 2008 11:26      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
DNF: I should have added this little thing: I actually own my appartment (condo). And the difference between its resale value and my current mortgage would make a nice 20% down-payment (on a reasonably sized house, nothing fancy). So, I _could_ just throw up my arms a go crazy and buy a house. Just as a hiker could try doing the balance-exercise of taking off his shoe to take out the pebble without puting down his backpack. But there are risks of ending worse.

.. well you just threw everything I said out the window.

Um.. good luck, then?

Posts: 4894 | From: Kitchener, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 02, 2010 20:11      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know this is the mother of all necro-posts but I'm in the same boat right now, and I've only been at my condo for five days so far. It's good size for Boston, the suckers across the hall are paying $1500 to rent a similar unit while my monthly total would probably end up being less than $800 when I get my tax return (after plopping down 20%, of course,) it was a decent deal and the rate isn't too bad either, but that warm fuzzy feeling of being a homeowner just isn't there for some reason. The only feeling I'm getting right now is that of my freedom being locked away in some bank's vault for the next 30 years [Frown]

PS: It's been a long time since the original post - Stereo, what's the good word on your dream house?

Posts: 1092 | From: Boston | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2010 04:40      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Zesovietrussian: If you can afford to pay more on your mortgage, do. Doing this, with the rates that went down and the (ridiculous) annual salary increase, that mortgage I had to renew after 5 years, instead of putting it on 20 years, I put it on 13. The principal goes down fast, so now, that I finally look into selling my place to own a house (or a townhouse would do too), I am looking about a 30-35% downpayment from the sale toward the new place.

So - stick with it as long as you can; pay as fast as you can, and keep your eyes open for the right opportunity.

And good luck!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 03, 2010 22:45      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Zesovietrussian: If you can afford to pay more on your mortgage, do. Doing this, with the rates that went down and the (ridiculous) annual salary increase, that mortgage I had to renew after 5 years, instead of putting it on 20 years, I put it on 13. The principal goes down fast, so now, that I finally look into selling my place to own a house (or a townhouse would do too), I am looking about a 30-35% downpayment from the sale toward the new place.

So - stick with it as long as you can; pay as fast as you can, and keep your eyes open for the right opportunity.

And good luck!

A house would be nice, but I was thinking more along the lines of a nice open loft with high ceilings, large windows, a cute little pug or two running around and a Starbucks downstairs. What I have instead is a semi-ugly, not-so-large two bedroom in a really ugly 1960s brick box, no dogs allowed in the building, and the nearest coffee shop nearly half a mile away. I suppose I can't complain too much since it was dirt-cheap for the area but we can all dream, right? [Smile]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 03, 2010 23:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you allowed a cat?

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7667 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 07:29      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cats are allowed but they're evil, and most small dog breeds are dumb. The only pet I would consider getting is a pug - they're fairly smart for a small dog and so damn cute.

-

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 09:31      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
buy a pug, call him/ her frisky, tell your landlord it is a cat.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 04, 2010 10:08      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A very rare variant of the Persian.

He owns a condo. He doesn't have a landlord, only a HOA board. And those just suck.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 08:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Correct, HOA boards are the root of all evil. Luckily, I'm seeing units much worse than mine being listed for $10-20K more than I paid, meaning at least I have an option of leaving without losing any money if I choose to. But then again, a unit like this one in a more convenient location would cost at least twice as much as I paid, so that's just wishful thinking. I guess I'll just have to take the "rare Persian" route [Smile]
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 10:51      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alas, my condo is one of the more up-to-date and better ones but, like every other unit, has done nothing but lose value. The market crash wasn't helpful to anyone and the condo market is especially soft right now (single family homes, however, are recovering back to their previous "You paid what for that? WTF???!!!" levels), but the actions and inactions taken by the HOA are. Not. Helping.

ETA: That's weird about the pugs though. I always had you pegged as a German Shepard, Rottweiler, or Doberman type. You know, something that's big and *not* cuddly...

--------------------
- The Decemberists

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 14:18      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while back I ws dreading what my HOA would do after I had my first meeting with them ( that lasted for hours and i discovered that my niehbors may not be well metally balanced.

But since then I have had no problem, And I have not been the best neighbor with my grass always being long, and my dog running through their backyards all the time.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3079 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 14:35      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mine thinks it's okay to break its own covenants.

I'm renting a house now. I couldn't take the bullshit anymore. My parents and I are trying to decide to sell or to sit and see if the price improves but, given the fact that the lunatics are in control of the asylum, it might be better to just get while the getting's good...and before the building either collapses or turns into a total slum.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

zesovietrussian
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 1177

Icon 1 posted September 05, 2010 14:50      Profile for zesovietrussian     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why don't you rent it out and have the tenant pay HOA fees as a part of rent payment, just so you only get taxed on what's left over?

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.