homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » There will be Rat Blood.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: There will be Rat Blood.
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 9 posted April 24, 2008 20:59      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My mom's car wouldn't start the other day, it turns out rats had made a nest under the ignition panel and they decided to eat a few wires.

Unfortunately, it is my job to kill the rats. As someone who normally does anything to avoid killing things, I am not happy with the executioner job, but I don't think there's much else I can do.

A peanut-butter-and-rat-trap sandwich worked last night. *sigh* At least it was a clean kill this time.

Anyone have any rat-dispersing tips, as in, what *don't* they like to be around? Or is There will be Rat Blood inevitable?

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 22:18      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've heard that cat piss works well as a rat repellent, but you probably wouldn't want to use it in your mums car.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 22:26      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got some Legos?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 22:42      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They make humane traps now. The Tin Cat seems to be the most popular. I was watching the History channel and they had a thing on pest control and said just about any hardware store will have the humane traps.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 23:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Frown] *sniff*

/me wanders off with a dropping tail and sagging ears

Silliness aside, my parents had rat problems for a long time, especially after the dog died. He was a lab, but he fscking hated rats. He'd catch them, kill them, and leave the corpse to rot where it lay (we'd shovel it into the bushes to get it out of sight). Eventually, they called in an exterminator who solved the problem with a multi-pronged approach, including traps and poison. The trouble with poisons though are not only they toxic to people but the rat will wander off and die in some inaccessible place and you won't even know about it until it starts to smell.

I've been told that traps are very effective but you have to habituate the rats to the bait first. Good luck.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 24, 2008 23:35      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
They make humane traps now. The Tin Cat seems to be the most popular. I was watching the History channel and they had a thing on pest control and said just about any hardware store will have the humane traps.

However, the issue I ran into with similar types of traps is that catching multiple mice in one container can also be unpleasant to empty later. We would frequently catch two mice in one trap at the place I worked at, but find one-and-a-half in the morning.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 00:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
there are no kill traps that work well with penut butter. I think they are normally used on mice but just get some bigger ones. the worked well for my parents.

as for the car turning the motor over once a wekk would keep rats away i thnk. and its good for the engine, (just a few minutes doesn't use that much fuel)

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 02:49      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, live traps are probably a good option. Rats are smarter than mice though, and harder to get rid of.

You might want to call an exterminator or a farm supply (I imagine they must have the same problem with tractors and farm equipment) and ask if they have any kind of spray you can put on the wires that tastes bad to rats.

If your mom doesn't drive her car much (lets it sit unused a long time) rodents really aren't fans of mothballs. If it's in a garage, maybe you could try some of the sonic rodent repellers? (Or if it's outside, maybe you could use an extension cord to stick one under the hood?)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 04:10      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________ Snaggy We throw a couple of boxes of mothballs (I would hate to see the moths that they use to get the balls) in the motorhome along with some Dcon. Around the barn I keep a toy pistol .25cal semiauto it will dispatch any thing but a LABRAT to rat heaven and even the SPCA doesn't complain.

If you know where the nest is and it is underground somewhat away from the house a piece of pipe (EMT) conduit or such and a gas mower will gas them. I have heard of using propane down the hole but no smoking or matches.

That brings up a story, A fellow I worked with had a RAT problem big time. He did not know that they were using the drain field for his house's septic system for expressways. He filled a weed sprayer with gasoline and went hunting for rat holes, under the shed along the fence actually he claimed that there were five, any way he pumped in about three gallons of gasoline (petrol) plugged all the holes with several shovels of dirt and decided to throw a lit cigarette down the last hole. Yup thats what he did. The explosion made the ground heave, and knocked him onto his sitterdowner. The lid was blown out of the septic tank, the toilets in the house erupted, the sinks backed up. The rats came back in about a week. The garden shed was also destroyed.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
macmcseboy

Member # 1232

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 08:49      Profile for macmcseboy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Funny story! However I suspect it was a match though. It's VERY difficult if not impossible to ignite gasoline with a cigarette cherry. Even the Mythbusters proved that. IF the fume concentration was high enough, and enough oxigen present to fan the cherry, it might have happened for sure. But a very funny story.

</cynic-smartypants-rant>

--------------------
Live long and prosper.

Posts: 1139 | From: Victoria BC... | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 09:23      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
____________________ Snaggy We throw a couple of boxes of mothballs (I would hate to see the moths that they use to get the balls) in the motorhome along with some Dcon. Around the barn I keep a toy pistol .25cal semiauto it will dispatch any thing but a LABRAT to rat heaven and even the SPCA doesn't complain.

If you know where the nest is and it is underground somewhat away from the house a piece of pipe (EMT) conduit or such and a gas mower will gas them. I have heard of using propane down the hole but no smoking or matches.

That brings up a story, A fellow I worked with had a RAT problem big time. He did not know that they were using the drain field for his house's septic system for expressways. He filled a weed sprayer with gasoline and went hunting for rat holes, under the shed along the fence actually he claimed that there were five, any way he pumped in about three gallons of gasoline (petrol) plugged all the holes with several shovels of dirt and decided to throw a lit cigarette down the last hole. Yup thats what he did. The explosion made the ground heave, and knocked him onto his sitterdowner. The lid was blown out of the septic tank, the toilets in the house erupted, the sinks backed up. The rats came back in about a week. The garden shed was also destroyed.

That reminds me of a friend of mine who told me his preferred extermination method was to fill a garbage bag with the oxy-acetylene mix from his welding torch, force the gas down into a gopher or rat hole, then drop in a match. He said he'd get a fireball from each exit, and sometimes the rodent running off in flames. Not exactly a humane method, apparently.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 11:41      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
quote:

That reminds me of a friend of mine who told me his preferred extermination method was to fill a garbage bag with the oxy-acetylene mix from his welding torch, force the gas down into a gopher or rat hole, then drop in a match. He said he'd get a fireball from each exit, and sometimes the rodent running off in flames. Not exactly a humane method, apparently.
Sounds FUN!
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 25, 2008 14:10      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Sxeptomaniac:
That reminds me of a friend of mine who told me his preferred extermination method was to fill a garbage bag with the oxy-acetylene mix from his welding torch, force the gas down into a gopher or rat hole, then drop in a match. He said he'd get a fireball from each exit, and sometimes the rodent running off in flames.

Sounds like a Darwin Award in the making...

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 07:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________________ Darwin awards, There are times I thought I was in line.

One night riding home on the crotch rocket I noticed a red glow on the pipes, I in my drunken state thought, thats cool I didn't know that the speedo and tack lights would reflect off of the pipes. Then I reduced power and they went out, open the throttle and they came back, well how bright can I make them.
Next day sober with a head ache I noticed that there was no chrome left on my expensive pipes, burnt off, gone. Good thing the bike knew the way home because I didn't.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 26, 2008 08:08      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
____________________________ Darwin awards, There are times I thought I was in line.

One night riding home on the crotch rocket [...] in my drunken state [...]

That is sufficient to prove your qualifications for a Darwin award. The rest is just gravy.

--------------------

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2008 05:22      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
_________________________ Back to Rodent problems, do rabbits count? Because of my using D-con and a pistol on the rats, we have bunnies yes the cute little suckers. Now TheMrsMoMan is up set, it seems that every plant she has in her garden has been chewed down to the ground. She was blaming the deer then I pointed out the absence of deer footprints near her plants and scrubs. I don't think that there are enough to attract owls, so how to deal with Bugs Bunny. Sometimes I feel like I need Elmer Fudd.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted April 27, 2008 05:40      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I don't think that there are enough to attract owls, so how to deal with Bugs Bunny.

They make fences to keep out rabbits, but I don't know how hard it is to install.

--------------------

Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted April 27, 2008 17:48      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:
I don't think that there are enough to attract owls, so how to deal with Bugs Bunny.

They make fences to keep out rabbits, but I don't know how hard it is to install.
I think you can do it with chicken wire or hardware cloth. You just have to run the bottom down 6 or 8 inches below ground, then run it out (on the rabbit side) horizontally for another 6 or 8.

Back when the folks still kept a garden, we had some success with an electric fence - about three strands, the top one a foot or so up, with power tapped off the pasture fence.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture