homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » New glasses! (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: New glasses!
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2008 10:37      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So I spent the $442.46 of my tax refund on my bus. That left me with $225.54 leftover. So today I bought 5 pair of glasses at 19dollareyeglasses.com for $135.55!

Here's what I got:
#1: http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=518&cat=20&page=1
simple, plain, dorky aviator glasses, for working on the bus and not getting rust and dirt in my eyes
color: grey
#2: http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=686&cat=20&page=1
a general purpose, not entirely stylish, but functional frame for reading (taller lenses)
color: black
#3: http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=710&cat=23&page=1
feather weight, stylish, but not quite as functional as #2.. good for computer, but maybe not so much for books
color: Grey
#4: http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=570&cat=24&page=1
feather weight, still stylish, but in a more nerdish way, more reading functionality than #3... can wear as an accent
color: blue
#5: http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=803&cat=24&page=1
feather weight, little reading functionality, but squareish with that "ask me the answer, I'm a geek" look
color: black
$135.55 total cost with shipping and anti-reflective on every lens!

Now I have $89.99 leftover... This is the quickest I've ever spent my tax return. [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 16, 2008 12:46      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hey cool, I just received a new pair from zennioptical too. love that place.

http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=94&cat=7&page=1 in clear, with the max size lenses

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
SpazGirl
Assimilated
Member # 4915

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted March 16, 2008 13:07      Profile for SpazGirl   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm thinking I may be getting new glasses soon. I'm surprised I've never seen this site.

--------------------
Things, and things.

Posts: 465 | From: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Anovadea
Geek Apprentice
Member # 15588

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2008 18:00      Profile for Anovadea     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep planning to get new glasses (I've never been happy with my current pair), but I find it to be a mildly traumatising experience. [Wink]

There's a whole Process to it. I have to see what they're like on me, and I have to drag a friend into the process so they can give advice on whether they actually "work" or not.

I can't imagine actually ordering online - is it just me, am I a freak? Or should my geek status be revoked now? [Smile]

Anywho, have fun with the glasses. [Smile]

Aoife

Posts: 46 | From: Dublin | Registered: Mar 2008  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted March 16, 2008 18:04      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glasses? I left them like, 4 years ago. I only use them when I'm too lazy to wear contact lenses, I'm waiting to be 21 to be ready for lasik.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 16, 2008 19:37      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Kris, I'm confused about your descriptions of your on-order glasses. If they all have the same prescription, won't you be able to use them for everything?

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2008 07:46      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, technically. When I read a book, though, I tend to look down with my eyes, rather than tilting my head down. The smaller lenses will probably leave a gap of non-vision at the bottom of my visual field, thus making them essentially useless for reading (and especially singing hymns at church, where I hold the hymnal down and keep my head up).

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

Posts: 2331 | From: Southwest Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted March 17, 2008 07:54      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, I've got a question. Unless I am mistaken, oculists takes a few measures before having the lenses cut (distance between the eyes and such), so that the focal is optimally situated when wearing the glasses. How does it work for web orders? Or do you get some stock, pre-cut lenses, bound to be sub-optimal unless you just happen to fit the average?

Just curious.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2008 08:09      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On your prescription is a number called the "PD" or Pupilarity Distance. This is the number of millimeters either (A) from the bridge of your nose to the center of your pupil (measured for each eye) or (B) the distance between the pupils (one measurement for both eyes).

When you enter your prescription online, they require you to enter the PD.

Edit to add: Oh, I forgot, there's also the "Axis" measurement too, which is the measurement of where each eyeball intersects with the plane of the lens.... or something like that...

Essentially, your eye doctor gives you all the measurements you need in your prescription, you just give them your prescription and they make glasses.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

RScottV

SuperFan!
Member # 3540

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2008 08:40      Profile for RScottV     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow, thanks for posting this. I've been looking for some prescription goggles for biking. They have some for 40 bucks!

I think that I will get a few extra pairs of regular glasses since I am always misplacing mine.

When your order arrives, I would like to hear if you are happy with them.

Posts: 211 | From: Saint Paul, MN | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 17, 2008 09:17      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been very happy with the glasses I have bought from zenni.
I've been getting the rimless kind, which tend to be a little fragile, but optically, I've been very happy with them. Plus the prices are so good, you can customize different sets easily.. I have some with tint, some without, etc.

It usually takes a couple of weeks or so for delivery to Canada.

Here's the thread from last year where I first ordered them...
http://www.geekculture.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=9;t=002679

Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 17, 2008 10:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
When you enter your prescription online, they require you to enter the PD.

Thanks, MMKK!

I might consider them for an extra set for driving: Smart cars' sun shades (?) can't be moved, so when the sun shows up on the side window, there's nothing to protect me from it. So shaded lenses that curves at the side of the head would be great, but too costly at regular price to buy considering they'd be usefull only a few times a year. I'll take a look to see if they have any...

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
snupy
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1211

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 08:49      Profile for snupy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Wow...I've never seen prices that low! Snaggy, do you have a low or straightforward prescription, or something more complicated? I'd be worried about optical quality at that price. I only wear reading glasses, but I know I can't wear store bought magnifying glasses-they make me dizzy because of the poor quality.

I'm visiting home in May, so maybe I'll order one pair and see how it goes..at that price, it wouldn't matter, and it's cheaper than my industry discount from where I worked before!

Thanks for the link, MMKK!

Just a suggestion for others-most prescriptions don't come with a pd(at least I nor any of my coworkers ever wrote them on when I was dispensing Rxs-it was always done when the glasses were ordered, so you would have to ask them to measure it for you when you get the RX. It is an important measurement. You can also ask for it from the place that filled your last glasses prescription-they should have it, but they might be funny about giving it to you.

--------------------
"I just ordered an extra-long straw to avoid accidentally doing a sit-up"-Jay, Modern Family

Posts: 4269 | From: UK, via Chicago | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted March 18, 2008 09:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a couple of prescriptions, one for the computer, and another for distance, with a small correction for spherical aberration.

So yep, I think they can handle most any prescriptions. I find they are equal in quality to much more expensive glasses bought elsewhere, and for those prices you don't have too much to lose anyway. [Smile]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 10:17      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
/me is somehow highly skeptical...or at least annoyed that he pays considerably more...just for lenses. Which reminds me, I really should go see my ophthalmologist some time soon, as I think I may need a slightly stronger prescription.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 16:29      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I'm not wearing my contacts, I'm wearing my designer glasses. They might not have been cheap, but they're definitely attractive. Now that I have them, I'll get the prescription changed when my eyes get bad enough. Unfortunately, my employer doesn't cover the cost of eye care, so it'll be a while until that happens. [Frown]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 16:38      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have to change my contacts prescription every year. That's my optometrist's policy. They won't sell me new contacts until I update. I change my glasses' lenses every time I drop a diopter. That's my personal policy. The frames I bought four years ago. I like them so much sometimes I just wear my glasses for the hell of it.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 18, 2008 19:15      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one-year contact prescription rule has to be some kind of collusion between the optometrists and the insurance companies. I mean, really, wtf?

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 6 posted March 22, 2008 19:57      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thank you very much for bringing up that site again, Macman. My Ex broke my first pair of glasses in November, and I lost my optical insurance so I havn't gotten any new ones. These are what I am expecting:

http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=535&cat=22&page=1 The black and clear ones.
and...
http://zennioptical.com/cart/product.php?productid=640&cat=22&page=1 The white ones.

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 22, 2008 23:13      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:
That one-year contact prescription rule has to be some kind of collusion between the optometrists and the insurance companies. I mean, really, wtf?

no doubt, over here when I want new contacts I just walk into a shop with my pescription I got four years ago in the US and they have no problem ordering them for me. (as long as I pay them).

It's not like glasses perscriptions are like vicodin perscriptions or something.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 05:42      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd heard of them, but was wondering how they made them fit right. It always seems like they adjust stuff when you pick them up. Still I've been putting off new glass that I need because of the money. Is there a form at the site to let your doctor know what they need? It doesn't seem like the scrap of paper I take to the eye glass place at the opticians has that many measurements on it.
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 06:22      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ugh, MightyClub:

Not sure. But my insurance doesn't cover my contacts. My insurance won't even cover my appointment to get my prescription updated because I'm doing that for contacts. If it's glasses, they're fine. Contacts? Nope. Sorry. [Roll Eyes] And it's not like this one year rule is just my optometrist being a jackass. It was like that in Seattle too.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 23, 2008 06:53      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Aditu:
I'd heard of them, but was wondering how they made them fit right. It always seems like they adjust stuff when you pick them up. Still I've been putting off new glass that I need because of the money. Is there a form at the site to let your doctor know what they need? It doesn't seem like the scrap of paper I take to the eye glass place at the opticians has that many measurements on it.

The stuff they they adjust when you pick up your glasses (at least metal frames), is the nose piece and the bows. It's not like you need to be a Certified Glasses Salesperson to adjust those things, they're metal, just bend them (gently!) until they feel right on your face.

As far as finding frames that fit, take a pair of glasses you like, that are comfortable, and measure the frame width and bow length (inches*25.4=mm), then look for frames that are similar in size.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

geekgoddess
Mini Geek
Member # 12312

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted March 24, 2008 20:04      Profile for geekgoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I also got new glasses, I picked them up last week. They look like this:  -

They're just basic black librarian-ish frames, but I love them. [Smile]

--------------------
Geek chic!

Posts: 79 | From: The Abyss | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 10 posted March 30, 2008 07:17      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They're here!!

They're clearer than my expensive glasses, probably because of the anti-reflective coating. I'll get pics later today... I promise.

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture