homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » I have phone phobia.....

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I have phone phobia.....
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2008 15:15      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I hate making an ass of myself in real life, and making an ass out of myself on the phone is even worse [Smile] .

I was trying to explain to one of the folks that I work with that even though I am the 'computer guy' here at work, I can't call to fix someone else's DSL problem.

But, management being management.. you sometimes can't explain something like that to them.

So, I called and got a very nice lady on the end of the phone. I gave her the number and she asked for my name. all the standard stuff. When I told her I wasn't at the location itself, I couldn't give her the details of the problem. All I had was second hand information on what went down and she told me that she would need the guy in front of the computer to call himself.

Now, the call was a bit more rambling then that, and we did get into a discussion on how her father works for a robotics company(I thought that was pretty cool)....but all in all it just ended up being a very confusing call..

Maybe it's the OCD in me, but I just HATE calls that go wrong, hence the phone phobia...

Anyone else who hates a situation just like the above?

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 06:46      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm right there with you. I HATE chatting on the phone, I just don't like it. As for making a fool of myself in public...well I'm doing a brilliant job at that. Sadly. Most the time I want to go tuck my head under my desk and just hide.

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 27, 2008 13:15      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, doing consulting, I've made many 'on behalf of' calls for clients...but I've always been there. The last one I made was to Verizon for DSL support, and it was hilarious. The guy really didn't get that he was talking to a savvy person, but I rolled with it. I stated very plainly that I was taking the steps he requested, and I offered useful information as appropriate. I was very tempted to cite my normal title, which would be a bit more likely to get that point across, but I behaved. Really, there is no need to be rotten to tech support folks. A different client of mine was a real pain, and I made sure I kept the phone for the majority of the time, and made it as clear as I could to her that Verizon simply couldn't do anything immediately, as the wiring needed to be fixed. Chewing out the guy on the other end would not accomplish anything.

Making a fool of oneself on the phone? Eh...who doesn't? If you can't deal with making a fool of yourself from time to time, you're not really human. :-)

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture