homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » It's 2008?!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: It's 2008?!
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 14:24      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where did the time go?

I remember Y2K like it was yesterday. I had this sudden realization last night while thinking of something from then. It finally hit home that 8 years have just sort of flown by and we've got 2 years left in this decade.

/tired-old-dragon

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 15:25      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something is bugging me though Dman... and I have to admit that it is bothering me more with every passing year...

we had the 20s-30s-40s etc. etc... Now we have the slightly silly but no doubt amusingly named "Noughties" - but what on earth will the media and historians do next decade? The Teenies? The Tenties? That awkward bit that we couldn't make a clever name for?

You may notice that in the last Century this awkward bit was nicely sidestepped by the clever use of a massively destructive war... so we had "Turn of the Century", Noughties (if you will), Before the Great War, During the Great War and then conveniently the "Roaring" Twenties...

Well we could have a big war I suppose... but that is so "done" don't you think? Passé really! No we need to start now planning what great "disturbance" we can set loose to spare the Media Types and future Historians the embarrassment of having to call it the Teenies... [Big Grin]

Any ideas GCers? Massive Flood? (been done I know... but not recently I don't think), flip point makes the world suddenly freeze? Discover a safe form of fusion? Start to colonise Mars...

You know something that can tag the whole 2010 to 2019 decade... as The Flood, or the Great Freeze, or the Migration to Space or - well I don't know... but c'mon, do you want to admit to your grandchildren that you spent a lot of time in the "Teenies"... doesn't work does it? How are we ever gonna get any respect?

If it has to be a war... well I guess that is better than nothing -but it has to be a real show stopper affair... piddling "police actions" "War on Terror" and brushfire wars are not going to do the job...

No we need a real big event... Aliens landing or a huge plague of zombies... you get the idea!

N.B. for any "humo(u)r impaired" readers or the "hard of thinking" not all of this post is actually entirely serious!

PS... but what are we going to call 'em? I am buggered if I am going to live through ten years of the Teenies [Big Grin]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 15:50      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Can we just call them the 'Tens?'

After all, they're not the 'Teenies' until 2013, and I'll be damned if I have to live through the 'Tweenies' first. [Wink]

And isn't this all sizist? What about the 'Biggies?' Or the 'Just Rights?'

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 15:59      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
2013 surely DMan... ;D

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 18, 2008 17:01      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
2013 surely DMan... ;D

Erm...yeah...that sounds about right. (Fixed orig. post.)

It's been a long day, and combined with old age...slip ups like this happen... [Wink]

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 02:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____________________________ Twentytens, TwentyTwentys, Twentythirtys. But what about the decade we are in right now? Twenty""""

Twentyought?

TwentyoughtEight

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 08:26      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Time - In Quaaludes and red wine
Demanding Billy Dolls
And other friends of mine
Take your time
-- D. Bowie.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
mspencer
Geek Larva
Member # 277

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 15:34      Profile for mspencer   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, think about how we refer to the 1900's, the 1910's. It seems plausible we would refer to the 20xx years similarly.

"The nineteen hundreds" -> "The two thousands"
"The nineteen tens" -> "The two thousand tens" or "The twenty tens"

etc.

Posts: 27 | From: Council Bluffs, IA 51503 | Registered: Feb 2000  |  IP: Logged
password
Geek
Member # 12442

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 18:15      Profile for password   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Serenak:
Something is bugging me though Dman... and I have to admit that it is bothering me more with every passing year...

we had the 20s-30s-40s etc. etc... Now we have the slightly silly but no doubt amusingly named "Noughties" - but what on earth will the media and historians do next decade? The Teenies? The Tenties? That awkward bit that we couldn't make a clever name for?

You may notice that in the last Century this awkward bit was nicely sidestepped by the clever use of a massively destructive war... so we had "Turn of the Century", Noughties (if you will), Before the Great War, During the Great War and then conveniently the "Roaring" Twenties...

Well we could have a big war I suppose... but that is so "done" don't you think? Passé really! No we need to start now planning what great "disturbance" we can set loose to spare the Media Types and future Historians the embarrassment of having to call it the Teenies... [Big Grin]

Any ideas GCers? Massive Flood? (been done I know... but not recently I don't think), flip point makes the world suddenly freeze? Discover a safe form of fusion? Start to colonise Mars...

You know something that can tag the whole 2010 to 2019 decade... as The Flood, or the Great Freeze, or the Migration to Space or - well I don't know... but c'mon, do you want to admit to your grandchildren that you spent a lot of time in the "Teenies"... doesn't work does it? How are we ever gonna get any respect?

If it has to be a war... well I guess that is better than nothing -but it has to be a real show stopper affair... piddling "police actions" "War on Terror" and brushfire wars are not going to do the job...

No we need a real big event... Aliens landing or a huge plague of zombies... you get the idea!

N.B. for any "humo(u)r impaired" readers or the "hard of thinking" not all of this post is actually entirely serious!

PS... but what are we going to call 'em? I am buggered if I am going to live through ten years of the Teenies [Big Grin]

why do you refer to it as "the great war" ? are you refering to world war I or world war II ?
i dont know any of my history dates...

--------------------
no my password is not username

Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 18:17      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by dragonman97:
Can we just call them the 'Tens?'

After all, they're not the 'Teenies' until 2013, and I'll be damned if I have to live through the 'Tweenies' first. [Wink]

And isn't this all sizist? What about the 'Biggies?' Or the 'Just Rights?'

Then it's a good thing the doomsayers are screaming about 2012 being the end of the world this time around [Smile]

Password: World War I took place during the 1910s.

Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 18:36      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by password:
why do you refer to it as "the great war" ? are you refering to world war I or world war II ?
i dont know any of my history dates...

The Great War is what WWI was called before there was WWII. No reason to number it originally.
Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 19, 2008 18:47      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
The Great War is what WWI was called before there was WWII. No reason to number it originally.

My granddad didn't think it was so great. [Frown]

btw - WWI was also known as "The war to end all wars".
The press wanted to call the next one "The war to end all wars - II", but they couldn't get the name past The Irony Police.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Oz, the Wizard of
Highlie
Member # 1454

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 12:18      Profile for Oz, the Wizard of   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Three years is kind of my mental threshold for defining the "past," at least in a cultural sense.

That I must now think of 2005 in that context...makes me feel old. :|

--------------------
Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain!

Posts: 707 | From: The Emerald City | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 19:29      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just 'cause I feel like stirring things up:

The First World War was not the first "World War".

Discuss.

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 20, 2008 22:03      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all the wars that we know of were fought in this world.
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 23, 2008 20:48      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not the war that destroyed the evil empire led by Darth Vader!!!!!

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 24, 2008 17:00      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
___________________________ All this talk about war, WOW thirty eight years ago I drove out through the gates at the Naval Air Station, Norfolk Va. No longer a sailor, paramedic, hospital corpsman, or Petty Officer. Thursday I turn in my paper work to draw Social Security, isn't that the Poops.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 25, 2008 10:18      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't believe it is 2008. I still keep writing the date as 2007 on homework assignments. [shake head]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2008 01:31      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dman: You're not alone

-

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2008 01:42      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
I can't believe it is 2008. I still keep writing the date as 2007 on homework assignments. [shake head]

I was working over New Years Eve with the ambulance service in London, and found it exceptional difficult to write 2008 rather than 2007 on our patient report forms. I think I must have made at least a dozen errors (and I can remember one that I wrote 2009 on [ohwell] )
Posts: 1143 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted January 28, 2008 15:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stibbons, I once took a call that happened right as the clocks rolled over for daylight savings. Which meant I had to explain, in my paperwork, my one hour response time... [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 15, 2008 21:56      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have not mistakenly written the year as 2007 even once since the new year.. However, last week I did try to date a phone message at work as taken in August of 06.

..... WTF?

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Metasquares
Highlie
Member # 4441

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2008 11:30      Profile for Metasquares   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It feels weird that I'm even contemplating 1990 being almost 20 years ago.
Posts: 664 | From: Morganville, NJ | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mac D
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 2926

Icon 1 posted February 16, 2008 13:49      Profile for Mac D     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mr. Dave:
Just 'cause I feel like stirring things up:

The First World War was not the first "World War".

Discuss.

This is true. A world war is defined as a war that includes more then 2 continents. The Romans embarked on many "World Wars" And so did the ancient Egyptians and even the Greeks.

--------------------
There's nothing wrong with me, This is how I'm supposed to be.

Posts: 1449 | From: Where I am is very relative to my location at that time. | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Dave
Geek
Member # 1977

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted February 16, 2008 16:22      Profile for Mr. Dave     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Mac D:
The Romans embarked on many "World Wars" And so did the ancient Egyptians and even the Greeks.

Actually, I was thinking of the Napoleonic Wars - there was fighting in India, in North Africa, all across Europe, in Russia, and in North America.

I suppose the Greeks, Romans, Egyptians, Phoenecians etc. had "World Wars" as well, but their world was alot smaller [Razz]

--------------------
I'm not normally like this, but then I'm not normally normal.

Posts: 193 | From: Leverkusen Institute of Paleocybernetics | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture