homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Whatcha get? (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Whatcha get?
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 5 posted December 26, 2007 11:10      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you celebrate holidays where gifts are exchanged, what did you get (and/or give) this year?

I received some moolah, two Tim Horton's Quickpay cards [thumbsup] [Big Grin] , a day pass for skiing, a funky hat for snowboarding (a la Jayne Cobb in Firefly) and some awesome ski pants (no more shall I suffer the humiliation of skiing in jeans! [Razz] )
... plus a ton of food, an amazon gift certificate, and CHOCOLATE.
plus I got to play Alice Cooper's School's Out with my brothers (on Guitar hero III). That was priceless. [Big Grin]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 11:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaggy ________________ Well. The Mrs got me a SDR Kit to assemble (Software Defined Radio) a Drill press for doing repairs around here, and half of an eliptical treadmill because my knees (from years of jumping out of airplanes don't take shock well). So far I have worked my self up to three and one half minutes at a time before running out of steam, She is close behind with about three minutes. That thing is more work than a treadmill plus you can set in resistance.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5848 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Bibo
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1959

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 11:46      Profile for Bibo   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A few highlights:

50mm 1.8 Canon EF lens

5 Pounds of Shock Coffee Beans [Eek!] Damn good coffee! (Been drinking it during a Twin Peaks marathon.)

And a Wii Zapper.

Posts: 1641 | From: Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 12:00      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A honeysuckle scented candle (one of my favorite scents, so it's actually a thoughtful gift) from a very dear friend.

A card from my mom.

... and that's it. Nobody else gave me a damn thing. I think next year my attitude is going to be "Fuck everyone. I'll buy my own damned gifts and the rest of you selfish bastards can rot."

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 12:18      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
"Fuck everyone. I'll buy my own damned gifts and the rest of you selfish bastards can rot."

Yay! My new mantra! Steen -- I'm thinking about using this line as a chapter title for my upcoming new-age self-help-guru-type book: "I Rule, and You Suck!" Ok if I pinch it? [Wink]

Oh -- and I got the TPB Xmas special on DVD... told ya I rule.

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 12:19      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
a few books, a copper pot, chocolate, wine, and clothes but no toys. : (

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 12:43      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't get nothin', I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 12:59      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
A honeysuckle scented candle (one of my favorite scents, so it's actually a thoughtful gift) from a very dear friend.

A card from my mom.

... and that's it. Nobody else gave me a damn thing. I think next year my attitude is going to be "Fuck everyone. I'll buy my own damned gifts and the rest of you selfish bastards can rot."

I ran out of cards and forgot to get more until it was almost Chrismas. [Frown] Sorry about that. Your card should show up in a day or two.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 13:42      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TMBWITW,PB:
I ran out of cards and forgot to get more until it was almost Chrismas. [Frown] Sorry about that. Your card should show up in a day or two.

That really wasn't directed at you or anyone else who posts here. It's more my RL friends who don't hesitate to call upon me for favors and expect gifts, cards and everything else but never return the gesture.

The card exchange here... eh. I send the cards out because I like sending them. I don't honestly expect any in return and it doesn't bother me if I don't get any.

*EDIT*

Peebs... I just got home from work and your card had arrived today. You managed to get a card to me almost on time from thousands of miles away while the supposed RL friends who live ten miles away couldn't even find the time to do so much as call and say hi. You certainly have nothing to apologize for.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 14:07      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Famous Druid:
I didn't get nothin', I had to pay $50 and pick up the garbage.

...and they all moved away from on the bench there...

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6529 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 14:15      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally quoted by Spungo:
...and they all moved away from on the bench there...

...aaahhh.. the 'Group Dubya bench'... [hearts] [hearts]

edit: forgot to answer the question! Doh!

so.. a nice book, a couple of fine single malts, and three days off work! [Big Grin] [Applause] [Applause] [Applause]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Thorned0Fortress
Geek
Member # 4435

Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 14:56      Profile for Thorned0Fortress   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My dear mother got me a pair of 'snow boots' that I have been wanting since last year. She also got me PJ's, a nice picture frame, and some of my fave junk food. I got another robe from one grandma. We havn't done Christmas with the other grandma yet because she has been in the hospital.

I was told that I had and engagement ring on the way, but due to a pending divorce I don't think I can count on that one. (We only got matching bands after we are married. I never had any bling)

Posts: 235 | From: texas | Registered: Oct 2005  |  IP: Logged
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 15:25      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I'm lazy, here's what I wrote on my blog about Christmas:

quote:
I don't think I got anything for Christmas. At least, I really didn't have much to unwrap. But I still had a blast. My siblings and I got together and bought our mom a 32" HD television. We also gave her a DVD player. Since I have to get ready for work, here's Jonathan's summary from his blog on Yappi.com:

"Well, the gifts for my mother-in-law were a huge success! It couldn't have gone any better. I went over to the house, and while Mom was in the kitchen, we sneaked the TV in and slid it behind a sofa. My brother-in-law tossed a blanket over it to conceal it. We gave her the DVD player first and told her that we had combined our money to buy it. She was surprised and happy.

"Then we shocked her with the flat screen TV. We led her on by saying that the DVD player would work better with a new TV, but for now she'd have to live with the old one. Then, we pulled out the box and presented it. She opened it while saying that we had splurged too much. She kept saying that we had gone too far, but we basically told her to shut up and enjoy her gifts.

"My brother-in-law got the TV and DVD player hooked up and we did some test runs with some DVDs. The picture is very nice--I think I'll bring over some of my DVDs sometime and watch them over there!"

Christmas Day at Aunt Marta's house was difficult. Dad and one of the halflings were there. When Dad was married to Harriet, they adopted two girls. Darren started calling them halflings 'cause they're really not our siblings. Well, the oldest one (she's 16) just had a baby with her boyfriend. Dad's playing the proud grandpa. Proud? Of what? Your adopted daughter whoring around?

Anyway. He and the unpregnant (so far as we know) girl were at Marta's for lunch. It was all I could do to bite my tongue to prevent uttering the nasty comments in my head. Thankfully they left fairly early. After that, I was able to relax and have fun with my other relatives.

Jonathan held me as I cried last evening. The whole situation with Dad is just so frustrating. He wants life on his own terms. He's active in a (liberal) Mennonite church while living with a woman who's not his wife. He abandoned my siblings and me when we were little, and now he acts hurt when I'm not excited to see him. Well, hello!

Argh.

I have another Christmas celebration to anticipate. We're getting together with Mom's side of the family on Saturday. That should be fun.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3849 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 16:38      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got some chocolate and a Stephen King book - song of susannah

oh and my family bought two hens and a rooster for a family in Africa.

very toned down christmas this year but there wasn't really anything I wanted anyways.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 26, 2007 17:42      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got some clothes and money from various relatives. Kaitlin however made out like a bandit. She got a Dora tent, a Diego Rescue Pack with card games, a shape-sorter wooden toy, a tricycle, a Magna-Doodle, Dora slippers, Dora pajamas, a Dora doll with brushable hair, a toy vacuum, a toy ironing board, two Berenstain Bears books, and a $10,000 college fund! With any luck we will be able to pay for her to go to college right after high school instead of her waiting for a while and then going on loans like me.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
angryjungman

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 2434

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 06:14      Profile for angryjungman   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got (amongst other things):
  • a new driver, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • three lessons with the golf pro at my in-laws' country club, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • Tiger Woods 08 for the Xbox 360, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • Some books and money
  • an eeePC

--------------------
Meh.

Posts: 633 | From: princeton, nj | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 07:32      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got a Polar FS3 watch (for training). Still have to understand how it works, though. Oh, and home-made chocolates. Yum!

I gave a lot more than I got, being the family member with the highest wage, and no one else but me to take care of. So I gave genuine mocassins to my father, a vinegar-maker to my mom (you put red wine in, let the bacteria do their work for a couple of months, and you get top-quality wine vinegar) along with a nice flower-holder, various flavored meads to a brother, a sushi plate and sushi-fitting mead to another and his girlfriend, plus I made a medieval-looking shirt to a third brother. My fourth brother has still to get his gift, as he was at his in-laws'. My two god-daugther will get theirs later, too.

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 12:24      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Stereo: You'll love using the Polar! I use it when I workout to check my pulse at intervals. [Smile]

Me, I got a Wii. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 14:22      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by angryjungman:
I got (amongst other things):
  • a new driver, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • three lessons with the golf pro at my in-laws' country club, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • Tiger Woods 08 for the Xbox 360, which will hopefully improve my golf game
  • Some books and money
  • an eeePC

jung...you trying to improve your golf game or something? [Wink]

Can't say that I got anything fancy for Christmas, but I'm not interested in getting anything fancy for Christmas. :-) I got a bunch of things that I have real use for, or otherwise want (like Kill Bill vol 1 & 2, and Pulp Fiction, Special Edition, @ $10/disc [!!]). Likewise, I gave things that were requested by the recipients, so everyone ends up happy. This system works best for me - surprise is for people who blow credit limits in pursuit of happiness. ;P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 14:42      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In addition...

My brother and I managed to stear my sister away from the idea of getting a Zune and got her a new iPod nano instead. [Smile]

Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
Chesty
Assimilated
Member # 2460

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 18:19      Profile for Chesty         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got the hottest game out right now! Call of Duty 4
Posts: 416 | From: The Beach | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged
stringlion
Mini Geek
Member # 4767

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 23:05      Profile for stringlion     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got a Mac Mini!
I also Got Rock Band an Guitar Hero 3, as well as a copy of I Am America (And So Can You) by Stephen Coldbert, amazing book.

Posts: 94 | From: NYS, US | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted December 27, 2007 23:26      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Herpes... at least her heart was in the right the place.

/coat

ewomack
Highlie
Member # 3225

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2007 06:21      Profile for ewomack   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My entire family is trying to cut down on the buying insanity. We're trying to make it more about gathering together than getting stuff. Everyone succeeded in this except my 5-year old nephew. He was buried alive in gifts.

--------------------
Ed Womack
Get Milked

Titanium Warrior
Alpha Geek
Member # 1885

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 28, 2007 23:50      Profile for Titanium Warrior   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I'm still around, and this is what I got for Christmas [Smile]

-

Tristan is his name and he was Born Dec 2, 2007

Been a very sleepless Christmas season for our household [Smile]

Cheers
-TiW

--------------------
I used to have super powers until my therapist took them away.

Posts: 333 | From: Victoria, BC Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture