homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Snow!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Snow!
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 02, 2007 15:49      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lot's of snow here, the wet sticky stuff, perfect for snowmen...
 -
But it's supposed to change to rain and go up to 13 degrees C tomorrow though. If if doesn't, we are doomed.

btw. ff the comic isn't updated tonight,. you'll know why... power has gone off. [Eek!]

Posts: 8169 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 16:52      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah Ontario got some of the wet stuff as well - it has almost disapeared because of all the rain (snowman is still hanging in there). Tonight it is supposed to hit 9 degree's - the nights are warmer then the day now.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 19:44      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's raining here, but it was also 75F in the middle of the day. I was running around in a t-shirt and enjoying it [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
MrJ
Geek-in-Training
Member # 730

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 20:19      Profile for MrJ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Last night southwest Michigan got light wet snow, then hours of light sleet and freezing rain, then hours of light rain, and tonight it's going back to light snow with some wind thrown in. Yay slush? I stayed indoors.
Posts: 35 | From: near Grand Rapids, MI | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 21:51      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm torn between thinking it would be so neat to be able to go out and build snowmen and have snowball fights and being grateful that I never have to shovel anything and a light jacket is enough to keep me warm most days in the winter.

But I think your power outage possibilities push me toward the second option. [Razz]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 02, 2007 22:30      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It snowed last night, leaving about an inch on the ground. Right now, we're getting freezing rain...tomorrow's going to be a mess.

*cough*

Fortunately, *cough*, I'm under the weather, and will be out tomorrow. I suppose that's good timing, but somehow I'm not laughing.

/me returns to watching Dr. Strangelove.

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 03:41      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi All ________________________ We got Nine inches of heavy dense snow then a frozen crust. The big tractor did not start, the mid sized did but soon suffered caburator icing, I had to put the blade on the Four wheel ATV and push the stuff around with that. After spending about three hours I had most of the area cleared and then it started to rain, that cleared the rest. Why did I waste the gas.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 04:32      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'bout the same as Dman. S'posed to get 20cm here in "the Valley*" in the 48 hours (I don't mind the fluffy stuff, it's the hard clear solid muck that I object to).

"*This is the Valley, Vincent -- Marcellus ain't got no friends in the Valley."

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 10:04      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snow update,______________________ The winds are out of the Northwest and the Lake effect snow that comes from Lake Michigan, is right now making it all the way accross the state. I can see the sun as a bright spot but cannot see the nieghbers barn (about 1/8th Mile away). Twenty five degrees F and thirty plus mph winds and the roads were black ice this morning.

We do not carve our pumpkins just paint them (they last better) so they were still on the deck when the freezing rains came, they looked like waxed fruit as I finally carried them to the garbage pail.

--------------------
Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Benjamin Franklin,

Posts: 5855 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 10:36      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by spungo:
'bout the same as Dman. S'posed to get 20cm here in "the Valley*" in the 48 hours (I don't mind the fluffy stuff, it's the hard clear solid muck that I object to).

"*This is the Valley, Vincent -- Marcellus ain't got no friends in the Valley."

Well...turns out that whatever the heck happened, I slept through all of it, and it's above freezing now...and my car is clear. Problem solved. [Razz]

Great quote (namely the src), BTW. [Razz]

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9345 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 10:51      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Around Ottawa, we must have gotten over 20 cm of snow within the last 24hrs or so. And it's still snowing, and the wind is still very active. I think I'm going to stay home tonight, even though I have no milk left. (Ah, well, I have cheese, so I'll still have my daily dairy products potions.)

Aside: I don't know if you have any articulated buses in your respective areas, but it seems they don't tolerate well slippy roads: I saw three of them pretty much jack-knifed and very stuck this morning. (It's in such conditions that I am happy to take the bus and not my car to go to work. The roads are just as congested, but I'm not the one driving.)

Aside #2: is it a surprise that I have christmas/winter songs in my head? "Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow" indeed!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
spungo
Member # 1089

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 13:00      Profile for spungo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just crawled home at 20mph all the way -- with the Paul Simon song "Slip Sliding Away" playing in my head. It's snowing like a mother right now -- there was rumour at work that tomorrow shall be a stand-down... ironic*, as I have it booked off as leave anyway.

(Ironic in the Alanis Morrissette sense, that is.)

--------------------
Shameless plug. (Please forgive me.)

Posts: 6530 | From: Noba Scoba | Registered: Jan 2002  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 13:32      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
spungo, you are now living the reason I bailed out of upstate NY when I finished college.

No snow here. We had some last Wednesday and a very light dusting on Saturday but no big storms yet. The mountains could use one though. This is the first time since I moved here I haven't gone snowboarding before Thanksgiving!

But I'm still really really glad I'm not in Rochester anymore. Lake Ontario can kiss my ass. The largest body of water near me now is the Boulder Reservoir. [Razz]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 03, 2007 14:14      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just coming back after 15 hours of no power... good to be back folks!
[Smile]

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 16:37      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Snaggy:
[Smile]

Gaaaahhhh....

Welcome back to civilization. [Smile]

But hey...you could keep yourself warm by just chopping more wood, right? ;P

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 17:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
[Smile]

You don't fool me Snaggy, your absence had nothing to do with a power failure, you were at the Spice Girls concert. [Wink]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 03, 2007 17:45      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleah! I heard that Montreal is getting or got 30-35cm of the white stuff. I'm not sure if I'm looking forward to flying home this Saturday!
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 05:47      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BooBooKitty _____________________ Shite thats two inches more than we got. Was it the wet heavy stuff or fluffy.

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 04, 2007 09:18      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Druid: I wish! [Big Grin]

Snow update: it's all gone thanks to a Pineapple Express! Yay!

Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 16:55      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have mysympathies. I lived in the Cleveland snow belt and in Denver. So I've had my share.

My four year old is just jonesing for some snow. She wants to make angels etc. We may get a dusting, but not much.

Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 04, 2007 18:19      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Druid: I wish! [Big Grin]

Snow update: it's all gone thanks to a Pineapple Express! Yay!

Yay? I talked to my parents last night and it sounds like western WA is underwater.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted December 04, 2007 18:35      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah i just saw some wild footage from Washington and Oregon... wow did they ever get flooded and had hurricane winds. So no yay for that.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 08:50      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I-5's been shut down just south of the WA state capital. They're letting trucks with perishables and disaster supplies through on a state highway, but anything not emergency related has to take a detour across the mountains and cross the Columbia at the Tri-Cities (halfway across the state, and WA is big). This would at least double the trip to Portland and the detour itself is relying on I-90 staying open through Snoqualamie Pass. Given the avalanche situation, that can be dicey.

But my family isn't directly affected by any of this so I'm glad for that.

--------------------
- The Decemberists

TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted December 05, 2007 10:19      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Xanthine ________________________-Glad to hear that your parental units are okay. Our disaster relief unit may be asked to provide equipment for the mop up but not direct aid, so I get to set at home unless some thing big happens.

Please see article.

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2007/12/05/100/?nc=1

--------------------

Benjamin Franklin,

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture