homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » My Super Sucky Day

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: My Super Sucky Day
erynthenerd
Mini Geek
Member # 12416

Member Rated:
Icon 8 posted November 29, 2007 01:27      Profile for erynthenerd   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a really crappy day and I need to rant! I have no friends to bear my complaints, so I offer them to you, O Wise & Commiserating Geeks.

I made a giant stupid mistake at work that took a lot of time to fix and it ticked me off because I NEVER make big mistakes at work; It's my job to help prevent and correct mistakes like the one I made.

I had to fix someone else's mistake, and it took me all of two minutes. The piss-poor previous attempts took three months. The twat that runs the video department couldn't be bothered to actually put any effort into following up on reports that a DVD had surely been returned to the store, and she wanted to charge the customer a $75 late fee before he would be allowed to rent again. Can you guess where I found the DVD? That's right: in the !&*[email protected]# drawer where it was supposed to be.

My mom made me laugh when I was eating dinner and I inhaled a piece of ground beef. Mom and bro were too busy joking with each other to notice that I might possibly die at any moment. Everything was black and all I could think about was that I was going to kick over before anybody noticed that I was choking. Mom finally noticed when I managed to cough and suck a tiny bit of air around the Hamburger Helper and she asked if I was okay. I shook my head 'no', and she got up and rushed over to me but I don't remember any pounding on my back or any other actions that might have helped to dislodge the meat. It's a good thing I saved myself by finally coughing it out! I didn't even get a nice, nostalgic slideshow featuring 26 years of memories. So much for the 'your whole life flashes before your eyes' thing.

And now I have to go plug my car in so I can start it in the morning. Go me!

--------------------
Fresh Meat

Posts: 66 | From: Central Washington | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 02:02      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
erynthenerd - wow, that's a bad day! [Frown] But you got through it, which is a good thing.

My job is also about fixing other people's monumental stuff-ups and trying to make sure our customers don't go to the competition. As a general rule, I don't make any big fsck-ups, I've been in the job too long for that. But - we are all only human and I have recently "dropped a bollock" as we English say. And it really is infuriating [Mad] However, I have found that this scenario has it's positive side, in that rather than making me look like one of the cretins that i usually have to babysit, my fsck-up was laughed off by colleagues as a rare example of my fallibility - thereby proving that I am not actually a superior being. That brought them much comfort and the fsck-up was quickly forgotten.

I don't have any advice about your unsympathetic family however. Unless to suggest that you but them First-Aid manuals for Christmas. [Wink]

I hope the good times come back soon, and the car starts first time. [Big Grin]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 3 posted November 29, 2007 08:33      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
see, meat is (almost) murder! [Razz]

Hope you have a better day today!

Posts: 8182 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 10:30      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Awww *hug*

-

*whistles innocently*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Cap'n Vic

Member # 1477

Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 11:12      Profile for Cap'n Vic     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hamburger Helper? That shit'll kill ya!
Posts: 5471 | From: One of the drones from sector 7G | Registered: Jun 2002  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 29, 2007 12:31      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ouch - that sucks

Steen: better be careful with that whistle. You might be getting someone/ something you didn't expect/want.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 06:35      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I don't have any advice about your unsympathetic family however. Unless to suggest that you but them First-Aid manuals for Christmas. [Wink]

I'm afraid the advice from the first aid manual (or for that matter the IHCD Manual) is (paraphrased) "if they can still make noises, tell them to cough but don't get involved". After that then do the old back slaps/abdominal thrusts (though abdominal thrusts aka Heimlich Maneuver should really only be done by trained people and ALWAYS need an ambulance after due to the risks of internal injury).

<blatant_plug>For more free first aid advice, try iFirstAid</blatant_plug> [Wink]

Posts: 1152 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Stibbons
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2515

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 07:02      Profile for Stibbons   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oops double post [blush]
Posts: 1152 | From: UK | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 10:16      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Stibbons:
back slaps/abdominal thrusts

I think Steen was alluding more to back scratches / pelvic thrusts, but I could be wrong [Wink]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1759 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 30, 2007 10:21      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You've all got your minds in the gutter...

I couldn't be prouder *sniffs and tears up*

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture