homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Christmas lights and the lack of advancements :) (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Christmas lights and the lack of advancements :)
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 08:04      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was just thinking this the other day.

For some reason, in the last two years, we've been experiencing LOTS of blown fuze's on Christmas Lights. We've never had so many problems, with as many as one blown fuse every week.

Have they made any advancements in the Christmas light world that do not need a fuse to work?

--------------------
The Un-Official WPLJTV channel..

http://www.youtube.com/WPLJTV

Posts: 54 | From: New Jersey | Registered: Nov 2007  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 08:07      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One word: LEDs.

Try the LED Christmas lights: they have a greater life expectancy, and take less energy - which also means that they are less likely to overcharge your electrical outlets.

Plus they come in various forms and colors; some even change colors!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Richard Wolf VI
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 4993

Icon 10 posted November 27, 2007 08:33      Profile for Richard Wolf VI   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fibre optics are nice too.

--------------------
The same old iWanToUseaMac... Who am I fooling? I'm getting a Wii now, iWanToUseaMac isn't :P
Get Opera. The best web experience.
Contest. Group. Success.

Posts: 1356 | From: Bogotá, Colombia | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 09:46      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Did a quick little search and came across these lights...

http://www.holidayleds.com/catalog/led_christmas_lights_home/led_strawberry_light/multi-color_strawberry_led_christmas_light

Hopefully they are not tooo bright that they all blend in together. My LED computer case light is super bright even in the daylight [Smile] .

But if this solves the fire hazard and fuse problem, my Christmas decorations will thank you [Smile] .

-

--------------------

TheMoMan
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 10:13      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 _________________________ I would be looking at the house wiring and if renting getting to hell out. One Christmas tree full of lights should not throw such a big load as to blow fuses. Now if the curcuits in that house are unbalanced then there would still be cause for concern. Repeatedly blowing fuses is a warning, (SOMETHING IS WRONG!!!!!!) Are you getting the message.

--------------------
If it don't glow it ain't Ham Radio

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 10:58      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in this case, it's not the Christmas tree, but the bushes out front. I'd say there's about 5 strung together on one side, and maybe 7 or 8 strung together on the other side. These are the big C7 ( I think that's the denomination) bulbs .

And it's only the lights, no other light in the house goes out. Would that still be a problem?

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 11:51      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565:
Have they made any advancements in the Christmas light world that do not need a fuse to work?

I may be paranoid due to watching my family's house burn down two days before Christmas when I was 12, but I would be very suspicious of lights with no fuse or circuit breaker. A household electrical plug can deliver more than enough current to melt the wiring used on decorative lights (regardless of type) and cause fires if the wires short out.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 11:54      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 _____________________________________ Now we are getting some where, I know it would be more work but if you spilt up the load, between two or more outlets that are on seporate branches (Fuses) the scary part goes away. Always consider a blown fuse as a warning that the house wiring is being overloaded.

--------------------

Posts: 5494 | From: Just South of the Huron National Forest, in the water shed of the Rifle River | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 13:24      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Shredder565:
Did a quick little search and came across these lights...

http://www.holidayleds.com/catalog/led_christmas_lights_home/led_strawberry_light/multi-color_strawberry_led_christmas_light

There are also the color changing leds, the small multicoloured and the single-coloured ropes. Plenty for all tastes!

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
Shredder565
Mini Geek
Member # 12594

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 14:15      Profile for Shredder565   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TheMoMan:
Shredder565 _____________________________________ Now we are getting some where, I know it would be more work but if you spilt up the load, between two or more outlets that are on separate branches (Fuses) the scary part goes away. Always consider a blown fuse as a warning that the house wiring is being overloaded.

Unfortunately, we are short on outside plugs. We have one two-fer on the left side of the house on the porch....it usually houses 5-7 lights total. One set on the top plug, the other on the bottom.

On the other side, I think we have one outside plug hidden in the bushes somewhere, but other than that, we use one twofer on the left side of the garage, and another on the right side too plug in about 10 light sets altogether, depending on how many I decide too put up.

This isn't counting the plastic Santa, white plastic Christmas tree, and one snowman.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 14:15      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see... it's late November... well past time for a...

Christmas?

BAH! HUMBUG!

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10473 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 27, 2007 16:31      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 _________________________ A long time ago I built a heavy duty extension cord for using both windings on our 5kw genset, when on job sites. Two twofers in one metal box with a fifty foot 10/4 heavy yellow cord. then at christmas time I can plug in four 15amp power strips at the metal box end and plug in the other end to the air compressor outlet (four conductor 220)

Now when it is show time I turn on the air compressor breaker and all the christmas lights come on at once. Check the big box hardware stores (home depot, Lowes, and Menards).

--------------------

christmasqueen
Single Celled Newbie
Member # 29419

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted November 15, 2009 20:21      Profile for christmasqueen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hi. As someone who puts up 16,000 lights on my house each year, I know about blown fuses. I have 3500 C7s on my roof with 4 separate outlets near the roof. In the beginning, I regularly plugged them back into each other--BAM! You can get away with plugging 8 strands of C7s in together, and about 10 or 12 of the mini-lights. Remember, though, that your BEST and sturdiest light set should be closest to the main plug, since ALL the electricity for all the strands is passing through it. With LED lights, you can plug up to--FORTY-THREE strands together. Amazing. Even the mini-lights of old only pull 4 watts each for a 100-light strand. I have our electrician put in a new outdoor outlet about once every few years to spread the load out. Still, our older home (1950) has only 100 amp service, and all of those lights, plus about 20 150-watt red and green spot lights, do nicely each year. I do recommend you have an electrician put in another plug or two outdoors. It costs about $150 an outlet, which seems like a lot, but remember they have to drill all the way through the outside wall of the house.

Just this year I've also seen SOLAR Christmas lights, but wow, are they expensive! Good luck with the display! It's always a hassle, but it's always worth the finished product!

Posts: 1 | From: Florida | Registered: Nov 2009  |  IP: Logged
Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 00:43      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Solar chritsmas lights? wher did you get them? How much?

This seems like a really good idea for smaller instalations.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3080 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 02:12      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
christmasqueen, welcome to the forums your majesty, I hope you enjoy your time here.

It sounds like you might consider building your own power station soon. Is your display visible from space? [Wink]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 02:59      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Wow will you look at all of them lights. Here in Mid-Michigan a local TV station gos around filming well lit house for showing, So displays are very elaborite. I have included a link to their station and as Christmas nears they will set up their Video on demand links.

http://www.wnem.com/index.html

____ One home owner from Midland has his sound and light show run by his computer.

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 03:41      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah yes, 16,000 computer-controlled lights, animatronic Santas, and multi-channel sound effects.
What better way to celebrate the birthday of a carpenter who was born in a barn?

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 08:55      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shredder565 - A lot of people went to a lot of trouble to deliver your electricity as safely as possible to the INSIDE of your house. You shouldn't be interfering by trying to take it OUTSIDE the house. [Wink]

christmasqueen - Welcome to the forums. Now, you do have your own wind turbine to generate lots of nice clean electrickery for all those lights... don't you???
[Razz]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
TheMoMan
Member # 1659

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 10:37      Profile for TheMoMan         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
____ Shredder565, Well I suppose that you could go retro and use Candles and/or RailRoad Lanterns. Just be sure to set them away from the house, and do not use high volatility fuels.

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 11:16      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TheMoMan wrote:
do not use high volatility fuels.

Where's the fun in that? If they can't broil a turkey, the decorations aren't bright enough.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
tweety
Assimilated
Member # 3890

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 14:00      Profile for tweety   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is the good about being Jewish. We get to light real fire every year for 8 days/nights. None of this modern, somewhat safe, electric torch stuff. Nope, good ol' fashioned fire. Like the gods intended.

Now, if you're Jewish and like my family (blood and in-laws), you set the menorah up on the kitchen counter, being sure to *not* clean up the pile of bills that you've skillfully built up over months. Then, you light your candles and leave them to burn unattended. Now, that's the way to celebrate a holiday, with lots of hope and wishful thinking.

--------------------
If I were a good man I'd talk to you more often than I do.
American Fairy Tales
IT, A Philosophy

Posts: 454 | From: IL | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged
Mr. Geek 2U
Alpha Geek
Member # 28663

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 15:42      Profile for Mr. Geek 2U     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Mr Shredder!

I will tell you what. If I kept on blowing a fuse on a string of c7 lights, I would very quietly, after the childrens have gone to bed, take the lights out to the trash and say, "Whew! I am glad these lights did not burn my house down! Thank you fuses for the warning!"

Then, when the childrens wake up tell them that Santa asked for the lights because he needed more stars to guide his sleigh!

Merry Happy Non-Denominational Religious (No offence!) Solstice Observation Season!

Mr. Geek 2U!

--------------------
My friends call me Skippy

Posts: 260 | From: Kalamazoo | Registered: Aug 2009  |  IP: Logged
Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 16:59      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by tweety -
Nope, good old-fashioned fire. Like the gods intended.

Wow - tweety, you have introduced me to a new idea.... I have encountered Liberal Judaism, Orthodox Judaism, Hasidic Judaism, Lubovitch, but Polytheistic Judaism???? That's a new one!

Of course, it is only a figure of speech and I am only teasing, but I do believe that polytheism can be a pathway to easier acceptance of other cultures, when compared to monotheism.

YMMV etc....

note to self - don't do any jokes around YMMV and YHVH - that would be in poor taste.....Oh...Damn! [blush]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 17:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Grummash:
I have encountered Liberal Judaism, Orthodox Judaism, Hasidic Judaism, Lubovitch, but Polytheistic Judaism???? That's a new one!

Or very old

quote:
note to self - don't do any jokes around YMMV and YHVH - that would be in poor taste.....Oh...Damn! [blush]
As long as you don't mention the 'H' word (a well known jewish festival in late December). We wouldn't want the American Family Association to declare a boycott of GeekCulture.com.

relevancy note: last year the AFA fcomplained that 'Gap' ads in December didn't mention Christmas. This year the ads mention both Christmas and Ha***kah, so the AFA declared a boycott. WTF????

--------------------

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted November 16, 2009 17:36      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD - well, you have flagged up another gaping hole in my knowledge.....

My ignorance is becoming embarrassing!

Still - my desire to fsck the AFA up the A**E brings me some comfort in those times when I am shown to have a weaker grasp of the key issues than I think I have.

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2014 Geek Culture® All Rights Reserved.