homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Still breathin'

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Still breathin'
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 17:14      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tired and sore, though. Won't be around much for a while, but thought I should say something.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Snaggy

Sir Snaggalot!
Member # 123

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 21, 2007 18:04      Profile for Snaggy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Breathing is a good sign! [Applause]

Hope you're less tired and less sore soon. [Smile]

Posts: 8111 | From: Canada | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
Sxeptomaniac

Member # 3698

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 22:39      Profile for Sxeptomaniac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear you're recovering, Steen.

--------------------
Let's pray that the human race never escapes from Earth to spread its iniquity elsewhere. - C. S. Lewis

Posts: 1590 | From: Fresno, CA | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 21, 2007 23:49      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 01:14      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Good to hear. [Applause] [thumbsup]

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Lady_Christy
Geek
Member # 7103

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 10:48      Profile for Lady_Christy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to hear you're recovering, Steen...Best Wishes! [Smile]

--------------------
"There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't." :)

Posts: 207 | From: The Northwoods | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged
skylar
BlabberMouth, the Next Generation
Member # 1422

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 10:53      Profile for skylar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[Applause]

Good to hear from you, Steen [Smile]

--------------------
"arm, aber geeky"

Posts: 1994 | From: Deutschland | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 11:35      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Glad to see you, Steen

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
CommanderShroom
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2097

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 11:50      Profile for CommanderShroom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Enjoy the holiday Steen. Sounds like you are currently well ventilated and will get personalized service for a bit.

Relax and enjoy your stay on the vinyl mattress while being comforted by the smell of antiseptic. There are some people out in the world that pay good money for that kind of experience. [Wink]

Though it is good to hear you made it. Best of luck

--------------------
Does he know our big secret?
Has one of us confessed?
'Bout the wires circuits and motors
Buried in our chest

Posts: 2465 | From: Utarrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!! | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 12:54      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, good to see you. I hope whatever is making you tired and sore gets better soon.

And also, I've been meaning to mention that I hope this:
quote:
Worst. Celibate. Ever.
is a sign of good things happening in your life. [Smile]

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 22, 2007 14:07      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well it sure beats the hell out of the alternatives Steen! [Big Grin]

Hope the recovery goes smoothly. [thumbsup]

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1937 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 15:49      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First, I want to thank everyone for their kind thoughts and offer up a small warning...

I don't have them in hand yet, but I talked the surgeon into taking photos during the surgery which I may well post. If you see a link from me that says it's my heart in the near future, it's very likely to be my actual heart, not just some surgical clip art.

It'll be even creepier when I make valentine's day cards...

TMBWITW,PB wrote:
And also, I've been meaning to mention that I hope this:
quote:
Worst. Celibate. Ever.
is a sign of good things happening in your life. [Smile]

I'm going to say yes, it is, although probably it's not exactly what you're thinking. Everything is limited to flirting and we've never met and I have serious doubts that anything real would ever happen...

*pauses to let you get out the straight jacket and happy drugs*

but that hasn't stopped me from buying her a car, clothes for her and her daughter, a computer, a necklace, cheese powder and sending her my pants (erm... that last bit is a long story). I'm spoiling them rotten [Smile]

So. I'm insane, but I'm enjoying every minute of it. She makes me happier than I have been in many years and... among other things, I do want to kiss her (a few of you will remember that reference, I'm sure).

She's the one who dubbed me the worst celibate ever, too [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 15:54      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:

but that hasn't stopped me from buying her a car, clothes for her and her daughter, a computer, a necklace, cheese powder and sending her my pants (erm... that last bit is a long story). I'm spoiling them rotten

Wow, can I be your internet girlfriend? [crazy]

That sounds awesome. Yay for wanting kisses! And I can't wait to see pictures of your (actual) heart.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
HalfVast

Member # 3187

Icon 14 posted October 22, 2007 16:10      Profile for HalfVast     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Great news, Steen! Glad you made it to the other side...
er, I mean this side of the event. Hang in there and heal
well.

Posts: 795 | From: In the mitten around the abductor pollicis brevis. | Registered: Jan 2005  |  IP: Logged
Ugh, MightyClub
Member # 3112

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 17:08      Profile for Ugh, MightyClub     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you see a link from me that says it's my heart in the near future...

So you're saying this hospital has a time machine? Or is it one of those police forensic predictive photoshopping deals?

Er. Never mind [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
Ugh!

Posts: 1742 | From: Ithaca, NY | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 22, 2007 17:40      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's good to see that you are still kicking Steen.

Have a fun recovery.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
Stereo

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 748

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted October 23, 2007 06:30      Profile for Stereo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Double congrats, Steen - for the survival spirit still beating strong, and for the good news on the emotional side.

But... buying her a _car_ without having met her IRL! [Eek!] I hope it's a Matchbox one, or you just gave a new level to "madly in love"! [Big Grin] (Ah! I guess I'm just jealous... [Wink] )

Anyway: [Applause]

--------------------
Eppur, si muove!

Galileo Galilei

Posts: 2289 | From: Gatineau, Quebec, Canada | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 23, 2007 14:38      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by TMBWITW,PB:
quote:

but that hasn't stopped me from buying her a car, clothes for her and her daughter, a computer, a necklace, cheese powder and sending her my pants (erm... that last bit is a long story). I'm spoiling them rotten

Wow, can I be your internet girlfriend? [crazy]
Get in line kiddo.
Steen: can I be your internet boyfriend?

/me needs a new car, computer, plasma TV... [evil]
(and I promise our relationship will not threaten your 'celibate' status)

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10680 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 02:45      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're all welcome to be my internet girlfriends/boyfriends, but yer going to be disappointed because I'm still celibate and still don't date. Meeting a woman I'd like to kiss does not change that fact... it just makes me the world's worst celibate. [Smile]

As for gifts... none of you is a single mother with a daughter who found herself in a crappy situation and was fortunate enough to have a friend who was willing and able to lend a hand at the right time. If you were, I'd have probably helped you by now.

In some ways, I think I'm glad I don't have a relationship to deal with right now. I can only imagine how big the argument would be when the girlfriend who got a video game for her birthday found out how much I've sent someone I'm not involved with. [Eek!]

Also, I've been released from the hospital and am now home and sleeping in my own bed. Yay for not being woken up three times a night to have my blood pressure checked. [thumbsup]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

dragonman97

SuperFan!
Member # 780

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 09:42      Profile for dragonman97   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Steen!!!

I just walked into this thread, and while I may have missed a thing or two along the way, I'm definitely glad to hear you're feeling pretty well, and hope you're on the road to being even better! [Big Grin]

I'm not even going to try and tackle the other bit there... =P

--------------------
There are three things you can be sure of in life: Death, taxes, and reading about fake illnesses online...

Posts: 9332 | From: Westchester County, New York | Registered: May 2001  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 10:18      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
dragonman97 wrote:

Coward [Big Grin]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Grummash

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 4289

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 13:03      Profile for Grummash     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
originally posted by Steen:
quote:
dragonman97 wrote:

Coward

Glad to hear that you're home, Steen.

I'm not too chicken to 'tackle the other bit'.....
Your money. Your business. Simple.

Here's a thought - how many opportunities do we each have to be kind or generous to someone every day? And can we all honestly say that we seize those opportunities? No, I thought not.

And before I forget - any progress on obtaining those photos? [Wink]

--------------------
...and yet, across the gulf of space, minds immeasurably superior to ours regarded this earth with envious eyes...

Posts: 2335 | From: Lancashire,UK | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted October 25, 2007 15:28      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Grummash wrote:
And before I forget - any progress on obtaining those photos? [Wink]

I have the pictures sitting on the desk just to my left. I've got to dig out the scanner, scan them and do some contrast and brightness adjustment... so the only real hold up is my laziness.

Now I'm going to apologize in advance for the length of the rest of this. It's going to be a huge brain dump, but I think I need to do it.

Grummash wrote:
Here's a thought - how many opportunities do we each have to be kind or generous to someone every day? And can we all honestly say that we seize those opportunities? No, I thought not.

Well said... and, to be honest, I don't always help people either, but I do try to do so on a regular basis. I've helped a number of people from these forums, in fact, but never to this extent and I've never announced it before.

In fact, I mostly help people whom I sort of know, but don't really consider friends (there exceptions). It's easy to offer a helping hand, a kind word, a sympathetic ear or a dollar when you know that you'll never really deal with that person again and don't have to concern yourself with them feeling obligated to you in some way.

... and that brings me to the question of why I'm making you all suffer through my brain dump.

I know enough about my friend to be confident in saying that she didn't really need the help I've given her. I'm certain she would have done okay without my interference in her life (and make no mistake... it is me interfering... she never asked for anything and was very reluctant to accept my help). All I've done is make it easier for her to solve some of her own problems.

Still, I worry a lot (maybe too much... maybe not enough) that she might feel obligated in some ay due to all of this. I don't want her to ever feel obligated to do anything in return for what I've done for her. That has never been my intention.

Last night I discussed some of this with her and showed her the previous posts. One thing that came up is that there appears to be an impression that she's my internet girlfriend. I want to correct that and maybe prevent any other misinterpretations of what I meant.

The woman in question is my friend and only my friend. That won't change unless I manage to piss her off to the point where she stops being my friend (we'll assume I can behave well enough to avoid that). The fact that I would like to kiss her is... novel, to say the least, since there are only two women (Faith and my mom) whom I will even allow to hug me... and to be honest, I wouldn't mind if neither ever did so again.

I suspect that my friend's unavailability to me is part of what makes me comfortable enough to feel a bit of desire that I might not feel otherwise. I don't know and thinking about that too much makes my head hurt.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture