homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Let's see what's in your skin products!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Let's see what's in your skin products!
Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 11 posted August 22, 2007 12:28      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is geeky fun, I kinda blew the whole morning looking up how I'm giving myself cancer and damaging my organs with my beloved cosmetic products. I recently changed them to "vegan" friendly; no animal products and no animal testing, but, they still contain nasty chemicals ingredients that hurt me, my family and all the fishes and whales and frogs..... and those bastards just plop in natural, organic ingredients and advertise that on the front of the package. It amazes me how evil people can get in the pursuit of money. [shake head] -Nature's Gate- I'm looking at you! [thumbsdown]

So far the worst product I've uncovered in the cabinet which hasn't been used in ages is Veet Rapid Action. What's your worst? Do tell! [Beard of Peter Gabriel!]

Here's a good one, (I don't own it). It can give cancer to toddlers: Hask Placenta Instant Hair Repair Vial. Disgusting.

Here's the site:
http://www.cosmeticdatabase.com/

TMBWITW,PB

Member # 1734

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 13:00      Profile for TMBWITW,PB     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't think I would have to look up anything to avoid a product with "placenta" in the name.

--------------------
"Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and it may be necessary from time to time to give a stupid or misinformed beholder a black eye."
—Miss Piggy

Posts: 4010 | From: my couch | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 13:04      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... my worst one is the soap I use. It's rated 3/10. Everything else I use is rated at a 1 or 2. Not too bad, really.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 13:05      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Suave 2-in-1 shampoo will apparently give me cancer, AIDS, organ failure, and will stimulate allergies...

... or not. Actually looking closely at the 'data' reveals that the carcinogens are only dangerous in 'high doses.' Additionally, all tests are done in-vitro, so they don't really count for topical application, do they?

Additionally, what's the definition of a 'dose?' I'm pretty sure lopping an extremely small quantity of this stuff onto your scalp doesn't count as one.

Of course, if somebody is stupid enough to eat shampoo, or get pregnant and inject it into their unborn child, they probably deserve to die.

One of the chemicals they mention is ammonium chloride (see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ammonium_chloride), commonly used as a solvent, and as a "nutritive ingredient for yeasts". So stop eating bread, because there might be a couple molecules of ammonium chloride in there.

Sorry, but that website seems to be little more than fear-mongering for the chemically ignorant. Just because a chemical is dangerous doesn't mean it is guaranteed to kill you. CIP, I keep a jar of pure sodium hydroxide (lye) under the counter for various things (cleaning drains, making soap, dissolving bodies, etc). I haven't been hurt by it because I'm careful with it. This stuff is incredibly caustic, and if you heat it up in a glass container, it will eat through the glass. How many chemicals do you know of can do that?

But that doesn't mean I'm afraid of it and will discard all products that might contain some sodium; you just have to respect it, and not be stupid.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

Ashitaka

SuperFan!
Member # 4924

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 13:12      Profile for Ashitaka     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Because I used to develop shampoo formulations I looked at what they didn't like about shampoos. What struck me was the two main points that make me skeptical about what they are doing.

First,for every ingerdient that they seem to have a problem with, (rates like an 8 to a 10) they admit that there is a large data gap and testing needs to be done to prove that particular substance harmful.

Secondly, the indredients that they have problems with are the minor ingrdients. These ingredients are a fraction of one percent of the formulation. The studies that show a perticular indgredient to be toxic/carcinogenic are where the test animal being dosed was probably given 10 mg per kilo.

That being said I am not trying to debunk the site. I think people should know exactly what chemicals are in the products they use. I just don't like the rating system.

--------------------
"If they're not gonna make a distinction between Muslims and violent extremists, then why should I take the time to distinguish between decent, fearful white people and racists?"

-Assif Mandvi

Posts: 3089 | From: Switzerland | Registered: Feb 2006  |  IP: Logged
Aditu
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 2340

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 13:36      Profile for Aditu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my shampoo fell in the middle, but my pore perfect strips rated zero. LOL
Posts: 1355 | From: Osten Ard | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 18:50      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Pond's Cold Cream -- 4/10
(it's the only thing I'll use on my face. Just like grandma. Grandma was right.)

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 22, 2007 22:41      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the idea is, that since we use these these chemicals everyday, and on our skin which soaks in chemicals, the toxicity may be accumulative, though in low doses. Also, since millions of people routines flush these chemicals down the drain, it's also affecting the environment. There are many people such as hairdressers and estheticians who work with larger doses of these chemicals every day.

I never paid one bit of attention to it, until the other day, to be honest. Now my eyes are open. [Eek!]

nerdwithnofriends
Uber Geek
Member # 3773

Icon 1 posted August 23, 2007 00:28      Profile for nerdwithnofriends     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
I think the idea is, that since we use these these chemicals everyday, and on our skin which soaks in chemicals, the toxicity may be accumulative, though in low doses. Also, since millions of people routines flush these chemicals down the drain, it's also affecting the environment. There are many people such as hairdressers and estheticians who work with larger doses of these chemicals every day.

I never paid one bit of attention to it, until the other day, to be honest. Now my eyes are open. [Eek!]

I seriously doubt that, on a domestic scale, it's that much of an issue. A lot of those chemicals are used because they are highly reactive. How long do you think they last when they all get mixed together in the sewer lines?

Cleaning chemicals, on the other hand, are a different matter entirely. They often contain high levels of relatively nasty stuff; but you could probably pour bottles and bottles of shampoo down your drain before you flushed the same number of harmful chemicals as a poorly balanced load of laundry.

--------------------
"The Buddha, the Godhead, resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower." - Robert M. Pirsig

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2015 Geek Culture