homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » The Verdict is IN! (Page 6)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: The Verdict is IN!
GrumpySteen

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan
Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 09:25      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LemonSmuggler wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm crossing lines here that I shouldn't have. But I am an annoying teenager; I don't know what's right and wrong. [evil]

Bringing the topic full circle...

That's why we don't hand down execution or life imprisonment sentences to teenagers and, with a judges approval, seal records of their youthful indiscretions.

So, if you're planning on killing anyone, do it -now-... before you turn 18, k?

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

Posts: 6364 | From: Tennessee | Registered: Jan 2000  |  IP: Logged
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 09:36      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LemonSmuggler:
Insulting you? HA! I didn't say anything mean to you or anyone...at all.
You said in another thread once "you don't have any imagination at all" I took that as a seriously low blow. If imagination means dropping out of high school and deliberately enrolling myself into the school of hard knocks so that I can fly with all the colors of the wind, count me out.
But if imagination has anything to do with being a witty conversationalist capable of delivering brilliant one liners, being the creator of Business Attire's Christmas Card Clearinghouse , or being a passionate and creative bed partner, my God damned face is in the dictionary next to the word.

I'm sure this will move me to spot number one on your annoying teenagers list
That happened as soon as Steven and I apologized to each other and made ammends

(by the way you look pretty young yourself to be dishing it out, but whatever.)
I'm a 20-something know-it-all, true, but at least I'm not a teenage know-it-all. Those are infinitely worse.

but it just seems like, not always, but most of the time, your posts are both rude and unkind. You should really check into that because you go on tirades, which is what you did here, that turn from the topic to insulting as many people as you can because you can't (it appears) deal with people who disagree with you, and so instead of formulating a reasonable augment in response, you go out start insulting their spelling, wording choices, whatever you can.
I'll have you notice that my tone in some threads varies starkly from my tone in others. But the fact that you haven't been here long, combined with the fact I greatly dislike you, I'm not surprised you think that. I'm not a rude and unkind person, but I can be extremely caustic when I want to be. This is a circumstance when I want to be. And its usually only when I'm being blatantly attacked, as you're attacking me. And by the way, your spelling is immaculate.

Everyone else, I'm sorry if I'm crossing lines here that I shouldn't have. But I am an annoying teenager; I don't know what's right and wrong. [evil]

Thats BS lady, and I hope you realize that you're no better than me in posting this drivel. I hope you enjoyed being both rude and unkind. You should really check into that because you just went on a tirade.
LemonSmuggler
Geek
Member # 7701

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 09:45      Profile for LemonSmuggler     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Steen:
LemonSmuggler wrote:
I'm sorry if I'm crossing lines here that I shouldn't have. But I am an annoying teenager; I don't know what's right and wrong. [evil]

Bringing the topic full circle...

That's why we don't hand down execution or life imprisonment sentences to teenagers and, with a judges approval, seal records of their youthful indiscretions.

So, if you're planning on killing anyone, do it -now-... before you turn 18, k?

Uh...I never was planning anything like that. And I am 18. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Oy to the vey.

Posts: 182 | From: My pillow/blanket fort that kicks your forts bum | Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged
stevenback7
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 5114

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 10, 2007 09:58      Profile for stevenback7   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay ...

This is what I like about GC in topics like this everyone throws a punch or two at least even if some are a little low. But then as soon as you enter a different topic the same people are having a healthy laugh about something or both welcoming a new member.

Like both Ba and myself have thrown our share of punches in this topic but I know in another topic she and I will be perfectly nice to each other.

--------------------
Comic Book Guy: There is no emoticon for what i'm feeling.

Posts: 1199 | From: Canada eh? | Registered: May 2006  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 13:26      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
August 10, 2007, 09:58
... everyone throws a punch or two at least even if some are a little low.

[ohwell]   "Little low?" ... "Slanderous and racist" is a little more correct.

RE: Murder itself isn't "the Problem"

Every place on earth with human settlement has a murder rate (for all practical purposes).

The "problem" is when cultures believe "murder" IS NOT WRONG because "god" said so. Culturally, the US (North, South, or West Coast), Canada, UK, Netherlands, and Australia have about the same attitude on "It's not murder, because god said so" -- none of them buy into that load of "bull." (There are well-known countries where individuals may kill others "because god said so" -- it shouldn't be neccessary to name them.)

It seems odd that no one complains of "murder" when certain societies "execute" women without legal proceedings, for the crime of "dishonoring" the family.

RE: War in the Mideast

The Arabs have been chanting "Death to America" for decades. In the US (and most "westernized" countries), making death threats is a criminal act. Second, among themselves, Arabs display a lot of violence and infighting. Third, Arab culture has made almost no change over the past thousand years because (they believe) "Islam is perfect."

The ones that only believe the US is at war in the Mideast because "Bush is evil" are the ones that believe Arab society has been "perfect" and blameless for over a thousand years.

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

Posts: 1035 | From: Third rock from sun. | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 14:27      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asm complains about slander and racism, and backs it up with another slanderous dose of anti-muslim bigotry.

ASM: it wasn't the muslims who threw you out of the army.
Perhaps you should direct your bitterness at that rejection towards a more appropriate target.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

Posts: 10702 | From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 4 posted August 12, 2007 18:13      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TFD, are you saying the following isn't real, and never was?
(If it's true/real .... don't call it "bigotry.")

Link: Demonstrations on the 26th Anniversary of the Islamic Revolution in Iran
    February 10, 2005

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHoVuFlrcjA&mode=related&search=

-

-

Iranian Militants with Hostage (1979)

-

--------------------
Once a proud programmer of Apple II's, he now spends his days and nights in cheap dives fraternizing with exotic dancers....

GMx

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1523

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 20:11      Profile for GMx     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
----------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------

-

Posts: 5855 | From: S-4, Area 51 | Registered: Jul 2002  |  IP: Logged
The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 12, 2007 20:29      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Lets see, in a discussion about an American non-muslim mother killing an American non-muslim baby, ASM tells us that "the problem" is...
#include <anti-muslim-rant.h>.

Nope, no bigotry there. None at all. [crazy]

Go buy that really big car ASM, it'll make you feel better.

--------------------
If you watch 'The History Of NASA' backwards, it's about a space agency that has no manned spaceflight capability, then does low-orbit flights, then lands on the Moon.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 01:14      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by ASM65816:
Third, Arab culture has made almost no change over the past thousand years because (they believe) "Islam is perfect."

The ones that only believe the US is at war in the Mideast because "Bush is evil" are the ones that believe Arab society has been "perfect" and blameless for over a thousand years.

So which is it that you have a problem with, Islam or Arab culture? They are not synonymous, you know.

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
Callipygous
BlabberMouth, a Blabber Odyssey
Member # 2071

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 13, 2007 03:24      Profile for Callipygous     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hold on hold on everyone! TFD please reinstall your ASM filter. ASM puhlease! Not everything is about the Middle East.

All this reminds me of the eccentric novels of Thomas Love Peacock. He just gathers a collection of monomaniacs in one place and lets them talk at and over each other. No conclusions are reached, but it's quite funny. I'd love to introduce ASM to Mr Toobad, the Manichean Millenarian. [Smile]

--------------------
"Knowledge is Power. France is Bacon" - Milton

Posts: 2922 | From: Brighton - UK | Registered: Mar 2003  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 18:04      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
August 13, 2007 01:14
So which is it that you have a problem with, Islam or Arab culture?

It's not about nationality, ethnic group or religion (using the Amish as an example).

The Amish:
  • choose to "live in the past" (in a technological and social sense)
  • live in the US
  • are typically Caucasian, and
  • Christian.

It's about behavior that is wrong.

If the Amish started burning witches, I would demand government action against them. Whatever the Amish chose to do, "burn more witches" would not be an option for them. (Is more explanation needed?)

RE: Countries, and Violence, and the Death Penalty
quote:
(paraphrased)
Dutch: The Netherlands is less violent than the US because ___x1___.

US: The US is less violent than Canada because ___y1___.

Canada Canada is less violent than the Netherlands because ___z1___.

Dutch: The Netherlands is less violent ..............

... etc, etc, etc ....

It's like the Aluminum Pot calling the Aluminum Kettle "black" (and vice versa). I thought it was rather bizarre "silliness" that there was such bitterness against other countries with so many similarities. By simple (and reasonable) changes in perspective, any of these countries can be shown as "better" than the others. I've been to Britain, Ireland, Germany, Austria, and Japan ... and they all seemed to have civil and open societies.

quote:
August 04, 2007, 06:55
Apparently in America in the south they call upon "the boys" and throw rocks at you.

August 04, 2007, 09:49
I was referring to the video -- which is actually real life. So how can you say southerners don't throw rocks at you when it is right there in the video.

(Note: I haven't seen the video.)

So you took a statistically "insignificant" event, used innuendo, and played the "one-case-proves-all-are" card. Not very impressive in intellectual terms.

(Aside: Now, before someone says "ASM, you took an insignificant event on video..." -- when the government sponsors the events, they're not "insignificant." Second, Islamic terrorist groups are constantly releasing gruesome videos, so for every negative video about (non-Muslim-group-here), there are a "dozen" to incriminate Islam.)

quote:
August 13, 2007, 03:24
Not everything is about the Middle East.

Of course not, but I think it makes a great point of reference:

If you think your life or government is really bad, just compare it to the "Middle East."

--------------------

The Famous Druid

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 1769

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 18:21      Profile for The Famous Druid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe one of those really big pick-up trucks with the gun rack in the back window.
If you save really hard, you could buy a Humvee and pretend you're in the army.

That would be a far more acceptable way of over-compensating for those feelings of inadequacy.

--------------------

garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 18:26      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM -

You're right, you know.

But sometimes your style of posting is hard to follow. I wonder if you are much more accustomed to some other BulletinBoard software format?

Anyway - nice post.

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged
GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 14, 2007 20:01      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM65816 wrote:
I thought it was rather bizarre "silliness" that there was such bitterness against other countries with so many similarities.

I think you've mistaken my irritation at steven's misleading information for bitterness towards Canada. The fact that I buried the topic in statistics had more to do with me being that and my being bored and unable to sleep that night than anything else.

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 09:52      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
ASM -

You're a fucking idiot, you know.

FTFY.
Posts: 4897 | From: Cambridge, ON, Canada | Registered: Jun 2004  |  IP: Logged
ASM65816
SuperBlabberMouth!
Member # 712

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 18:55      Profile for ASM65816   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by drunkennewfiemidget:
quote:
Originally posted by garlicguy:
ASM -

You're ...

[shake head]   So ... drunkennewfiemidget lies about what garlicguy said.

This seems to be the new tactic for a certain small group of people. They used to find ways to misinterpret what others said, but now they just put their lies under other people's quotes.

They still use their "old" tactics too:
quote:
Observer: There is no reasonable way to defend the actions of _group_X_ as not being evil.

Leftist Lunatic: YOU SUCK!!! THAT PROVES YOU'RE WRONG!!!

The "small group" almost always uses personal attacks instead posting a rational defense against issues like "why shouldn't people be punished for using god as an excuse for violence?"

quote:
August 14, 2007, 18:26
... sometimes your style of posting is hard to follow. I wonder if you are much more accustomed to some other BulletinBoard software format?

I suppose hand-coding HTML years ago may have something to do with it, but the biggest problem is that I can't tell what people know or believe. Either:
  1. They will not admit what they know, or
  2. They cannot remember events older than "last week's news."

Then you have the "I Hate Lies" routine where one group should be "put to death" for "lying," while another group's lies are "conveniently" (and very clumsily) ignored.

It's not a belief (or value) if it's a Double Standard -- it's an excuse (or rationalization) for bad behavior (irrational hatred).

(At this point, I'm expecting a "if you do it for one, you have to do it for all" rebuttal, or something that ignores the magnitude of issues, or the usual name-calling ....   [ohwell] )

--------------------

GrumpySteen

Member # 170

Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 19:57      Profile for GrumpySteen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
ASM65816 wrote:
It's not a belief (or value) if it's a Double Standard -- it's an excuse (or rationalization) for bad behavior (irrational hatred).

[Applause]

--------------------
Worst. Celibate. Ever.

drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 21:15      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alternatively, it could be that you're a moron, and arguing with you is like screaming at a brick wall.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 21:25      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, ASM, here is where putting names on your quotes and generally paying attention to who says what when would be a good idea. Steven said some very stupid shit and made some very crass and stupid generalizations (apparently critical thinking is as poorly taught in Canadian high schools as it is in the US). He was then beat to a bloody pulp by business attire and yours truly. Between beatings, Steen very patiently force-fed him some statistics just to hammer home a valuable lesson about stereotypes. 'Twas a great chance for us all to be varying degrees of childish, and hopefully Steven learned a thing or two about statistics, stereotypes, and consuming information. It was a pure case of a high schooler thinking they knew way more about the world than they actually did. There's no need to drag the Mideast into it.

OTOH, the last couple posts of yours were far more coherent than usual. [thumbsup]

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
The Explainer
Mini Geek
Member # 5716

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 15, 2007 21:29      Profile for The Explainer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mr 65816 complains of other peoples (alleged) double standards.
quote:

Mr 65816 then acknowledges his own double standards.
quote:
At this point, I'm expecting a "if you do it for one, you have to do it for all" rebuttal, or something that ignores the magnitude of issues

Conclusion: Mr 65816 believes other people's double standards are a bad thing.

Mr 65816 objects to the use of quote tags to put words into the mouths of others.
quote:
So ... drunkennewfiemidget lies about what garlicguy said.

This seems to be the new tactic for a certain small group of people. They used to find ways to misinterpret what others said, but now they just put their lies under other people's quotes.

Mr 65816 often misuses quote tags to put his words into the mouths of others.

Conclusion: Mr 65816 believes other people's misuse of quote tags is a bad thing.

Mr 65815 describes Mr NewfieMidget's posting as 'lies'.

Conclusion: Mr 65816 is also unaware of the meaning of FTFY

Posts: 53 | From: The hall of logic | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted August 16, 2007 13:11      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
quote:
August 13, 2007 01:14
So which is it that you have a problem with, Islam or Arab culture?

It's not about nationality, ethnic group or religion (using the Amish as an example).

So when you said:
quote:
The Arabs have been chanting "Death to America" for decades. In the US (and most "westernized" countries), making death threats is a criminal act. Second, among themselves, Arabs display a lot of violence and infighting. Third, Arab culture has made almost no change over the past thousand years because (they believe) "Islam is perfect."

You weren't referring to Arab culture or Islam, then? What exactly were you talking about?
Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
drunkennewfiemidget
Member # 2814

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 09:18      Profile for drunkennewfiemidget     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Xanthine:

OTOH, the last couple posts of yours were far more coherent than usual. [thumbsup]

Giving him the thumbs up for not fucking up his past few times is like rewarding Lindsay Lohan for not shitting herself in over a week.
Xanthine

Member # 736

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted August 17, 2007 10:06      Profile for Xanthine     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well maybe she needs that kind of reinforcement.

--------------------
And it's one, two, three / On the wrong side of the lee / What were you meant for? / What were you meant for?
- The Decemberists

Posts: 7670 | From: the lab | Registered: Mar 2001  |  IP: Logged
garlicguy

Member # 3166

Member Rated:
Icon 14 posted August 17, 2007 10:37      Profile for garlicguy   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
[thumbsup] [thumbsup] Way to go, Lindsay! Great job!. No shit! [thumbsup] [thumbsup] [thumbsup]

--------------------
I don't know what I was thinking... it seemed like a good idea at the time.

Posts: 3753 | From: Pluto, no matter what you call it, is still my home. | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture