homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Hypertension (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Hypertension
Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 04:47      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ehh. Pretty machine, but it's not absolutely necessary to have. Pizza crust you can mix up with a wooden spoon. Bread dough? Yeah, a strong machine will make it MUCH easier. However, a machine can't knead bread as well as you can. (And I'm always afraid of burning out my machine's motor while making it knead the dough.)

The way I managed without a machine is using a large bowl and a sturdy wooden spoon, mix everything together until everything is combined. Thoroughly flour a counter, dump out the dough, and knead it, adding extra flour as necessary to get it to the right texture/feel. Your arms will hurt for a day or so, but do it often enough and you'll build some great muscle! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Solid Nitrozanium SuperFan!
Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 05:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Rhonwyyn:
Ehh. Pretty machine, but it's not absolutely necessary to have. Pizza crust you can mix up with a wooden spoon. Bread dough? Yeah, a strong machine will make it MUCH easier. However, a machine can't knead bread as well as you can. (And I'm always afraid of burning out my machine's motor while making it knead the dough.)

The way I managed without a machine is using a large bowl and a sturdy wooden spoon, mix everything together until everything is combined. Thoroughly flour a counter, dump out the dough, and knead it, adding extra flour as necessary to get it to the right texture/feel. Your arms will hurt for a day or so, but do it often enough and you'll build some great muscle! [Big Grin] [thumbsup]

Rhon, that one is designed for kneading dough so burning out the motor isn't a concern. As I recall, maswan picked that one because it was recommended by professional bakers or used in commercial kitchens or something along those lines. (That it's been getting regular use for over a year and still runs fine is part of the reason I linked it specifically, rather than just suggesting a dough kneading machine.) Of course, I wouldn't recommend doing a large batch of heavy dough in a general-use consumer-grade mixer.

The point is to make preparing food at home easier and less time consuming. (And yes, a machine can knead bread better, especially if the person is tired after working all day and doesn't want to be doing it to begin with and isn't enjoying it. Of course, in that instance the person is more likely to say, "Screw it!" and call for delivery in which case nothing gets kneaded and it's a moot point.) If food preparation becomes an aggravation and a chore, that makes it way more difficult than it needs to be to make healthy lifestyle changes. A major contributing factor to people consuming too much fat and salt and sugar is the convenience. It's just so much easier to order delivery or pop a frozen dinner in the oven or go through a drive-through. (And especially when you live alone and nobody is going to complain about frozen pizza again.)

Mom Puts Family On Her Meal Plan from the NY Times has a bunch of good tips that can be applied even by people without kids. (Preparing food ahead of time so it just needs to go in the oven, having a "standby" food that can be used in a variety of different dishes ready in the fridge, making extra portions and freezing it, etc.)

(Article reposted on a blog for those without Times Select.)

--------------------
I'm in ur database, makin' moar recordz.

Posts: 1973 | From: The Cat Ship | Registered: Mar 2002  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 06:58      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
BBK, also if you are going to start doing a lot of baking, you might want one of these. Maswan uses it all the time; of course we don't actually buy bread except for Wasa and tortillas (and occasionally flatbread if he's feeling lazy and doesn't want to roll it out.)

I've actually would have loved to have gotten a KitchenAid stand mixer, but I couldn't figure out where to put it. Is this model better than KitchenAid? A powerful stand mixer would allow me to make more things! [Smile]
Posts: 796 | From: Montreal, Canada | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 07:46      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by BooBooKitty:
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
BBK, also if you are going to start doing a lot of baking, you might want one of these. Maswan uses it all the time; of course we don't actually buy bread except for Wasa and tortillas (and occasionally flatbread if he's feeling lazy and doesn't want to roll it out.)

I've actually would have loved to have gotten a KitchenAid stand mixer, but I couldn't figure out where to put it. Is this model better than KitchenAid? A powerful stand mixer would allow me to make more things! [Smile]
You should ask maswan next time you see him in IRC how it compares to the KitchenAid, he could tell you better. He did a lot of comparison shopping when he was looking for one so he can probably elaborate on all the reasons he finally opted for the Kenwood.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 07:59      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
AH meal planning. This is something I do, even if entirely simple. I seriously write down things like "chicken and corn, pasta and salad, pork chops and chickpeas." Then I throw in breakfast and lunch foods, and I have a simple shopping list. I elaborate on the variety when I get there -- I know the brand of cereal I like and that I eat whole wheat pasta, save some pencil lead.

It's stupidly simple, meals throughout the day are well balanced, and the grocery bill has gone down to about $70/week for two people.

My mother's version is good for you "grown up" types, but a little more time consuming to set up. She has a recipe box with index cards with recipes not alphabetized, but set up by food type. Entrees, sides, desserts, etc. Then once a week she pulls out 7 entrees, 14 sides, and mixes and matches to make meals. She writes down all the ingredients as they are, then adds and consolidates so she doesn't have celery on there 4 times. THEN she goes to the pantry to subtract whatever she already has...
too time consuming for this student. even typing it out is too long.

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 08:04      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They just don't teach home economics in school any more, do they? That might explain a few things. [ohwell]
business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 08:16      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They do for the very young ones, 11 and 12 year olds. And then you sew a pillow in the shape of an owl and bake cookies. But that's about it.

If they had home economics here at NC State I would take it...

BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 10:03      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if meal planning and such isn't something that is still in some way handed down from one generation to another? And if nothing was taught on the subject then it's up to that person to figure it out on their own. I noticed that on Food Network there are a few programs on meal planning especially with busy families.

In any case, I try to make a grocery list before I head out. It does make a huge difference in the grocery bill. At the same time, I also try to mentally plan what I want to make for dinner during the week. However, that depends on how busy the week my be. :-p I have a few staples, so if I don't feel like more leftovers or just short on time, I can easily prepare something else. [Smile]

FS: If I catch maswan either tonight or early tomorrow morning, I'll ask him about his comparison shopping. Thanks! [Smile]

Nitrozac

Benevolent Dictator!
Member # 111

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 10:41      Profile for Nitrozac   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
business attire, I totally relate to what you were saying about the recommeded calorie intake and burn. They say you're supposed to be getting 2000 calories a day as an active woman, I found that I put on weight if I do! I think maybe it has to do with individual metabolism rates. I think they over inflate the necessary calories one needs. Maybe they don't want to trigger eating disorders or something.

A couple weeks ago, I got super serious about losing weight, and want to lose 2 pounds a week. So, I meticulously kept track of the calories and approximate calories burned for the first week. I was taking in 2000 calories a day (which I thought would be a lot less). I was burning 300-500 calories per day with exercise. Guess what, I lost .2 pounds that week! I was shocked and horrified, and all "wtf?".

So the next week, I thought, ok, let's try this out; To lose 2 pounds I have to have eaten and exercised away a total of 7000 more than the previous week. Then, I cut calories by 500/day and exercised 850 calories a day. Which is insanely a lot, but, what the heck. I've stuck to it, and indeed I have lost 2.2 pounds this week. Crazy eh?

This is the exercise schedule I have to adhere to or else I lose no weight, calories burned = 850 every day;
Every morning, 7 days per week;
75-90 min. walk with hills
20 min. abs and stretches

Every afternoon, before dinner preferably, 5 days per week
30-40 min. weight lifting/training
30 min. aerobics DVD or stationery cycle

On the 2 days of no weight training, every evening after dinner;
60 min. DVD aerobics or stationery cycle, or kayaking, or whatever aerobic activity that'll burn 300 calories /hour.

Yeah, crazy eh? But when I think about it, 15 years ago when I was at my ideal weight, that's pretty much the exercise I did. I used to live in the city where I'd walk one and a half hours everyday just to get to work and stuff. Then I'd go to the gym 4-5 times a week. I kept that up for about 8 years, then petered out the whole effort and started gaining weight. Interesting.

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 12:19      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
yeah, I lost most of my weight through diet. (who knew that the university cafeteria would promote weight loss?) after living with my mom for 18 years and she doesn't know how to cook nearly at all...

so after 18 years of pizzas and pbjs on white bread and all sorts of other processed foods, I went to a university where the cafeteria served reasonable portions of meat and at least 4 different veggies every day. They served other unhealthy things, yeah, but thats what I ate every day: small piece of meat, 2 servings of vegetables, jello and fruit for dessert, maybe a cookie. Lunch and dinner. I started running one mile a day and I dropped 15 pounds almost instantly. Seriously, it was in about 2 months. My mom didn't recognize me when I came home for thanksgiving. Funny story, she actually tried to shove me out of the house and threatened to call the cops. (it was dark... [Roll Eyes] )

Then I started fencing, and 4 hours of fencing twice a week in heavy gear caused another 10 pound drop.

and then in the past few months theres been death, depression, no fencing, little exercise, a new desk job, and lots of ice cream. I'm almost back where I started [Frown]

fencing practice starts back in a month!
and for the past 2 weeks I've been getting back into the swing of things, going to the gym 5 days a week for a 400 Cal workout.

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 16:28      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
oh yeah. Nitro, in order to lose two pounds per week, you need to have a deficit of 1000 calories per day. That means if you are eating 2000 calories, you need to burn 3000 calories every day. Normal body processes usually burn between 1600 to 2200, depending on height, weight, gender and the rest you have to make up with exercise. Its complicated, but one thing is simple: it is not healthy to lose that much weight that quickly. Half a pound per week is best, 1 pound per week is good if you're already obese.

apparently my deficit was 635 today. [Smile]

MacManKrisK

Gold Hearted SuperFan!
Member # 955

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 16:50      Profile for MacManKrisK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire (with liberal snipping):
My mother's version... a recipe box with index cards with recipes not alphabetized, but set up by food type... Once a week she pulls out 7 entrees, 14 sides, and mixes and matches to make meals. She writes down all the ingredients as they are, then adds and consolidates so she doesn't have celery on there 4 times. THEN she goes to the pantry to subtract whatever she already has...

I think your mother would be well served by an SQL database that would cross-reference the recipes with the ingredients, keep track of "stock" on-hand, and prepare an orderly shopping list of items to acquire; optionally sorted in the order they'd be encountered in the grocery store. "In-stock" items could be maintained by UPC label and a simple barcode scanner (can anyone say CueCat?), she could simply scan her groceries into the database when she brings them home and the computer could do the rest.

I'm not sure how to /program/ a system like that, but the design sounds great! Isn't technology wonderful?!

--------------------
"Buy low, sell high
get rich and you still die"

Posts: 2338 | From: Southeast Michigan, USA | Registered: Oct 2001  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 17:47      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BBK let us know how you are coming along.

I learned how to take blood pressure in school but only have standard nurse's reader. I would have to have someone do it for me, but I can take other people's bp.

I think all this talking about keeping fit and the information coming out of these discussions is great. [Smile]

quote:
Originally posted by Nitrozac:
For the past 5 months I've been trying to get off an anti-anxiety drug called Effexor. It's fantastic for getting rid of panic attacks, but apparently it works by lowering the metabolism which resulted in weight gain and all the serious medical risks associated with that, including high blood pressure. That is one nasty drug to try and quit, the withdrawl is pretty bad and pretty dangerous.

Coincidentally, I used to be on Effexor and tried to withdraw from it. It is really, really hard. I am on a different medication now called Clonazepam but it is also one of those that is hard to withdraw from. I wish I didn't have to be on these kinds of drugs but that's the way it is (I am clinically depressed). But exercise (even just walking) and doing activities are good things to do.

I don't use table salt very much and use very little salt when cooking, but I have to watch out for the processed foods.

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
BooBooKitty

Member # 5566

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 18:16      Profile for BooBooKitty     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tominfla: So far so good. I've been on the Avapro for a week now. I think I've pretty much gotten over any side effects. The system is getting used to it, I guess.

For sure this was a bit of a wake-up call to remind me to keep a better eye on how I have been feeding myself. I know I need to incorporate more exercise as well. I'm still working on that part. [Smile]

I really appreciate and am thankful for everyone's ideas and contributions on how to eat more healthily! I think it's important for everyone no matter what age or condition you're in. [Smile]

Keep the ideas coming. I'm sure it will benefit others as well!

Meanwhile, I have been trying to be careful with the salt and fat intake in my diet. I think I've been good so far. Although I did have a small relapse this afternoon and scarfed down a small bag of quesadilla flavored Tostitos. [Razz] Anyway, I'm trying. [Smile]

Rhonwyyn

Solid Gold SuperFan!
Member # 2854

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 25, 2007 19:42      Profile for Rhonwyyn   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I don't know if it's this thread or what, but I've been trying to watch my own salt intake. I'm blessed to drive past quite a few farmers' markets on my way to assignments, so I've been eating a lot more fresh fruits and vegetables this year than in the past few. Jonathan's weakness is ice cream, and I gotta admit, it's mine too. So before either of us gets any ice cream, I ask how many servings of fruits and vegetables were consumed that day, which usually prompts a trip to the fridge, not the freezer.

--------------------
Change the way you SEE, not the way you LOOK!

Posts: 3851 | From: Lancaster, PA | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged
fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 01:48      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've been using the MyPyramid Tracker and I realized I like it because it's like a game. I can think of diet in terms of an activity to manipulate statistics in order to meet an arbitrary goal that will result in a little yellow smiley face. I am consistently failing to get enough protein and enough iron. I should start putting beans in more things and see if I can boost my protein stat that way. I'll have to experiment with replacing tomato paste with a kidney bean paste as a thinckening agent in spaghetti sauce. That would be an excellent way of adding a little protein to pizza/lasagna/pasta dishes. (If it's not gross.)

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 05:38      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by MacManKrisK:
I think your mother would be well served by an SQL database that would cross-reference the recipes with the ingredients, keep track of "stock" on-hand, and prepare an orderly shopping list of items to acquire; optionally sorted in the order they'd be encountered in the grocery store. "In-stock" items could be maintained by UPC label and a simple barcode scanner (can anyone say CueCat?), she could simply scan her groceries into the database when she brings them home and the computer could do the rest.

That sounds kitchen-orgasmic!!

and yeah, fs, the pyramid tracker IS fun. It's got me actually measuring out my 2 tbsp of peanutbutter for my pb, banana and cinnamon sandwich. [shake head] I want it to be accurate!!

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 07:35      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by business attire:
and yeah, fs, the pyramid tracker IS fun. It's got me actually measuring out my 2 tbsp of peanutbutter for my pb, banana and cinnamon sandwich. [shake head] I want it to be accurate!!

Yeah. I'm going "ok, I need another .5 cups of dairy for a smiley... 4 oz of yogurt should do it." I need to dig up a ruler for fruit and start measuring diameters.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 07:53      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by fs:
quote:

Yeah. I'm going "ok, I need another .5 cups of dairy for a smiley... 4 oz of yogurt should do it." I need to dig up a ruler for fruit and start measuring diameters.
I am right there with you, but then trying to figure out what is the best way to get that extra .5 cup of dairy without adding too many calories, because I'm still trying to maintain my 500 Cal deficit per day and I don't want to work out extra!!

Today I am not eating enough vegetables because apparently chickpeas or tomato based pasta sauce don't go in that category... grumble. And I don't like my fats number (its within the percentage, but too close to the high end for my tastes) because I decided on pb, banana, and cinnamon instead of turkey and lean ham today for lunch... more grumbles.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 08:04      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It probably puts chickpeas in beans/protein. Weird with tomato sauce though. Mine's entirely vegetable based.

Have you checked out the USDA Nutrient Database to see the values they are using for a specific food and the lists by nutrient? They are pretty cool. I'm working on correcting my iron intake and the list is awesome. I'm actually pretty surprised to see where a lot of foods fall. Good thing is my beans and rice should have loads of it. [Big Grin]

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 26, 2007 08:55      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
excellent thing to distract me from work while not rotting my brain [Smile]

We should create a "fs, ba, and nitrozac talk about food, nutrition and exercise" thread.

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 01:28      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
excellent thing to distract me from work while not rotting my brain [Smile]

We should create a "fs, ba, and nitrozac talk about food, nutrition and exercise" thread.

Or a blog.

--------------------

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 04:12      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hummus is a good lower fat, higher protein spread. It makes good sandwiches with lettuce, tomato and onion; I like it on bagels instead of cream cheese. It also works as a dip, on toast, crackers, or hardbread.

I had to figure out how to make it, since I haven't seen it packaged in the stores here. I make a base recipe and then add herbs, spices, and other ingredients as I use it.

(You can put just about anything in. Olives, jalepenos or other hot peppers, roasted or grated veggies, sun dried tomatoes, marjoram, thyme, oregano, basil, parsley, etc. If you leave out the garlic and pepper, dried fruit, honey or juice, and nuts might also work well. I've never tried making a sweeter variety but I've seen some recipes for them.)

This afternoon I just chopped up some fresh thyme, rosemary, and citron meliss (I don't know what it is in English, it's mild and has a lemon flavor), a tablespoon of frozen parsely, some fresh ground black pepper, some ground red pepper, about 1/2 tsp sambal olek, and a little salt.

Hummus Base:

2 15oz cans drained chickpeas (or 1 cup dry)
2/3 cup yogurt (vegans could probably use a soy yogurt, but I've never tried it)
1/4 cup tahini
1 Tbs lemon juice
4-6 cloves of garlic
white pepper (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)

Blend ingredients together until a thick paste is formed. Set aside 1/2 cup for immediate use. Divide the remainder into 3 equal portions in airtight containers. Freeze for later use.

Add herbs, spices, and other ingredients to saved portion. Salt to taste.

Some suggestions include
finely chopped sun dried tomatoes, oregano, basil
finely chopped olives, thyme, rosemary
finely chopped roasted red pepper, parsely, onion powder

When using frozen portions, allow to thaw, then add additional ingredients.

--------------------

business attire
Highlie
Member # 6102

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 05:54      Profile for business attire     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
mmmmm yummy. I love chickpeas on their own, sauteed in olive oil and garlic with black pepper. But that sounds good too!

When I was browning meat for pasta sauce last night, instead of tilting the pan to drain the fat out, I just plopped the whole thing in a big mesh strainer and shook it around until no more liquid came out. I have no idea why I never thought of this before... my pasta sauces have always had that little glimmering layer of fat on the top.

That said, I was thinking this morning at breakfast while eating my cut apples. Is it bad to eat oxidized foods? Everyone is always blathering on about how great anti-oxidants are and thus eat 5x more pomegranates than they did 5 years ago. But if you're eating oxidized foods, are your anti-oxidants reducing the food you just ate and not the free radicals in your system?

fs

Member # 1181

Icon 1 posted July 27, 2007 05:58      Profile for fs   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
mmmmm yummy. I love chickpeas on their own, sauteed in olive oil and garlic with black pepper. But that sounds good too!

That sounds good! I think I'll try tossing it with a whole grain penne and some steamed broccoli.

quote:
That said, I was thinking this morning at breakfast while eating my cut apples. Is it bad to eat oxidized foods? Everyone is always blathering on about how great anti-oxidants are and thus eat 5x more pomegranates than they did 5 years ago. But if you're eating oxidized foods, are your anti-oxidants reducing the food you just ate and not the free radicals in your system?

I don't know. You could just dip your apples in a bowl with some water and a vitamin C tablet, that's supposed to stop them from oxidizing. I usually leave my apples whole because I'm secretly convinced that biting into them is better for teeth/gums since they are hard and the flesh is textured. I have never seen anything backing that up, but it seems like it should help scrape plaque, etc. off teeth.

(Edit: Apparently so.)

--------------------

All times are Eastern Time
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture