homeGeek CultureWebstoreeCards!Forums!Joy of Tech!AY2K!webcam

The Geek Culture Forums!

my profile | directory login | | search | faq | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» The Geek Culture Forums!   » News, Reviews, Views!   » Our stupid lives   » Couldn't have just one

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Couldn't have just one
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 10 posted June 09, 2007 11:31      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A while ago, I was on here asking about iBooks and whatnot and bought a 1ghz ibook G4. Turns out, despite some minor annoyances. I love this machine!
Last night I obtained a 600mhz G3 iMac. (I'm currently trying to use my ipod to install Mac OSX.)
It's all white, I prefer the look of the colored ones, but that's ok. Speakers are amazingly good... What do you guys think of these machines? I know they are a little on the old side, but should still run 10.4 ok , right? [Smile]

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 09, 2007 13:25      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a G3 iMac 500 Graphite, a G3 iBook 600 and a G4 iMac 800 running 10.4.9. The RAM is maxed on all three, and they do run Tiger very smoothly.

Your iMac is the "snow" model, and if I'm not mistaken, the speakers were made by Harmon Kardon. It shipped with 256 MB memory; you'd do well to bump it up to 1 GB and it will perform very nicely for you. I love my Macs. [Big Grin]

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Tominfla
Geek
Member # 6767

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 11, 2007 15:52      Profile for Tominfla     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Your iMac is still supported by Apple. It was discontinued in March 2003 which at this point is less than five years ago. It is still new enough not to be "Vintage".

Mactracker states:
quote:
Vintage products are those that were discontinued more than five and less than seven years ago. Apple has discontinued hardware service for vintage products with the following exception: Products purchased in the state of California, United States, as required by statute. Owners of these products may obtain service and parts from Apple Service Providers within the state of California, United States.
It supports the latest Mac OS which is OS X Tiger 10.4.9, and I would think that it will be able to use Leopard when it is released.

Should be a nice little machine. And yes the speakers are really nice. [Smile]

Oh and it's true...you can't have just one!

--------------------
"Go get that Earth creature and bring back the Uranium Pew36 Space Modulator" -- Marvin Martian

Posts: 245 | From: Orlando, Florida, USA | Registered: Jan 2007  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 10:25      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
After using it a bit, it sure is a responsive computer. Quite different from a 600mhz P3 haha

On the flip side of things, the screen on my ibook has ceased to function. Odd thing is, closing the lid no longer puts the machine to sleep. Must be a switch issue.

sosumi
Uber Geek
Member # 1106

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 16:45      Profile for sosumi   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ah, I've had a similar problem...There's a good chance that after someone cracked the case, upon reassembly the screen connection became pinched by the hinge to the point of being dislodged or broken. It's worth having a look see.

As far as the sleep issue, I've seen that around, too, and it's usually the switch. I recently saw a good pictorial walk through, but danged if I can remember where. I'm sure a quick Google would turn it up.

Good luck!

Posts: 845 | From: Boston | Registered: Feb 2002  |  IP: Logged
Serenak

Member # 2950

Member Rated:
Icon 1 posted June 12, 2007 17:26      Profile for Serenak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MacFixIt is a good bet

--------------------
"So if you want my address - it's No. 1 at the end of the bar, where I sit with the broken angels, clutching at straws and nursing my scars..."

Posts: 1938 | From: Suffolk England | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged
Dr Watson
Mini Geek
Member # 4307

Rate Member
Icon 1 posted June 13, 2007 11:41      Profile for Dr Watson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ok, works fine today. Odd.

--------------------
Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast.

All times are Eastern Time  
Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Geek Culture Home Page

© 2018 Geek Culture